Project DOGBOX!!

What is your latest project?
Pendo Pilot
Driver
Driver

Project DOGBOX!!

Post by Pendo Pilot » Thu Jan 12, 2012 2:32 pm

Well the CVLR has been looking into cheap methods of transporting people during the off season when traffic is light. Spring & summer times being rather busy with people heading to the seaside near Porthcadno. But in the lean winter months, except for market days, the line does not see much passenger traffic after the morning 'rush' hour until the evening time.
With this in mind the CVLR looked for a cheap 'railcar' to fill this gap. One was located out of use on the Elmtree line & was aqquired in a general run down state. After a clearence trial & a little fixing of the wiring (& slight temp mod) all was deemed a success. The vehicle will now undergo a full Cosmetic refit keeping it's original running gear for now.

It's first trial run was recorded by an ardent CVLR enthusiast...

All recorded before the vehicle was wheeled into the paint shops at Fox Road Works (i.e. after I had a little play with it!  ;)   )

Will post updates as done..

Oh & yes. it's a crazy Faller Railcar.. :D
Last edited by Pendo Pilot on Thu Jan 12, 2012 3:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tommy Dodd may have an ARS key but I have a TASS button & a Rope Ladder, just like pirates, except the TASS button bit.

DolwyddelanLightRail
Driver
Driver

Post by DolwyddelanLightRail » Thu Jan 12, 2012 2:54 pm

Love the scrapped mamod in the last picture :lol:

Narrow Minded
Driver
Driver

Post by Narrow Minded » Thu Jan 12, 2012 2:54 pm

Nice one Shane, I very much look forward to seeing what it looks like when outshopped! :D
(At the same time, I'd better keep "The Management" away from this thread - they're moaning like buggery about the light passenger loadings during the "off peak" on the W&LLR ;) )

Pretoria
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by Pretoria » Thu Jan 12, 2012 4:04 pm

:shock:
DolwyddelanLightRail:64687 wrote:Love the scrapped mamod in the last picture :lol:
That's what happens when they are burned out !

:wave:

ps Love the photos & scenery & setting .........

Pendo Pilot
Driver
Driver

Post by Pendo Pilot » Thu Jan 12, 2012 4:36 pm

A few more updates, just the general idea of how standard CVLR passenger livery will look on the railcar.

Stripped & primed.

First coat of paint applied & roof sprayed black.. Also wheels blackened.

Then had to have another play after dropping from 4 AA's to 3 AA's. It is missing a traction tyre on one side so does spin a lot. Would like to switch to metal wheels somehow..
Tommy Dodd may have an ARS key but I have a TASS button & a Rope Ladder, just like pirates, except the TASS button bit.

tom_tom_go
Driver
Driver

Post by tom_tom_go » Thu Jan 12, 2012 5:03 pm

Looks great Shane and I love the realism of your line (can I use the word 'realism' on here?) ;)

Keep up the good work mate!

Cheers,

Tom

Pendo Pilot
Driver
Driver

Post by Pendo Pilot » Thu Jan 12, 2012 5:24 pm

Cheers for the replies, have been having fun with my new dogbox..

Only picked it up from the post office at midday so still early days.

Hope to finish the exterior paintwork off tomorrow. Did just fit buffers to it & was quite surprised to find it easily hauled one of my sheep wagons around behind it even round the harder clockwise trip of the line.
Hopefully get the glazing back in tomorrow as well after the varnish has set.

Anyway last pic from today.....

Fresh from it's first trip around the line hauling a sheep wagon..

Narrow Minded
Driver
Driver

Post by Narrow Minded » Thu Jan 12, 2012 5:33 pm

Mmmh, sheepdogboxwagon! ;)

sstjc
Fireman
Fireman

Post by sstjc » Thu Jan 12, 2012 5:36 pm

Hang on there.
Is that a trick of the light or have you done something to make the top half go a very nice darker yellowy cream in the last pick.

Barry
www.5inchrail.com

Narrow Minded
Driver
Driver

Post by Narrow Minded » Thu Jan 12, 2012 5:39 pm

Narrow Minded:64701 wrote:Mmmh, sheepdogboxwagon! ;)
Oops, forgot it's a Faller so "Schafthundkastenwagen" is probably more appropriate  ;)
Last edited by Narrow Minded on Thu Jan 12, 2012 6:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Pendo Pilot
Driver
Driver

Post by Pendo Pilot » Thu Jan 12, 2012 6:51 pm

sstjc:64702 wrote:Hang on there.
Is that a trick of the light or have you done something to make the top half go a very nice darker yellowy cream in the last pick.
Last picture with 2nd coat of BR cream applied. :-)

Narrow Minded
Driver
Driver

Post by Narrow Minded » Thu Jan 12, 2012 7:00 pm

Pendo Pilot:64707 wrote:
sstjc:64702 wrote:Hang on there.
Last picture with 2nd coat of BR cream applied. :-)
Which brand of paint have you used Shane?

Steven.T
Fireman
Fireman

Post by Steven.T » Thu Jan 12, 2012 7:13 pm

Looks good, always fancied one of these myself as a little run around!

Just a thought, would the roof maybe look better in a grey-ish colour, or is black the CVLR standard?

Quite a contrast of colours that's all, but it still looks good!

Ste

TommyDodd
Fireman
Fireman

Post by TommyDodd » Thu Jan 12, 2012 7:56 pm

That looks the business. I like the elegant simplicity of the coupling height adaptor. Are you going to fit a tilt mechanism?
Well, now we know the buffer-stops work! (Heard at 2013 "Longest Day" solstice steamup)

KVSRmanager
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by KVSRmanager » Thu Jan 12, 2012 9:33 pm

I've been wanting one of these for about 3 years, soo jelous, looking nice though I'll have to get me one later In the year

TonyW
Driver
Driver

Post by TonyW » Thu Jan 12, 2012 9:54 pm

I've managed to collect three of these over the years that are now formed in to a "set". They all run on ex-Lima Class 33 bogies. Only one car is powered but batteries are under all three cars and connected together by jumper cables. Very basic foward-off-reverse radio control is provided by the innards of a model car bought from Lidl.
Tony Willmore
Rhos Helyg Locomotive Works: http://www.rhoshelyg.me.uk
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/RhosHelygLocoWorks

Pendo Pilot
Driver
Driver

Post by Pendo Pilot » Fri Jan 13, 2012 7:15 am

Narrow Minded:64708 wrote:Which brand of paint have you used Shane?
It's Humbrol Acrylic Rail colour (RC424) Greg, brushed on as my airbrush is still AWOL from house move in 2010  :shock:   I can live with a less than perfect finish for now..
;)

ste234:64710 wrote: Just a thought, would the roof maybe look better in a grey-ish colour, or is black the CVLR standard?
I did think the same to be honest, although half my passenger stock sports grey roofs, the rest black so up to a typical Railway "standard" livery.. Only had black in spray though so went for that.  ;)

TommyDodd:64713 wrote: I like the elegant simplicity of the coupling height adaptor. Are you going to fit a tilt mechanism?
Ahh yes, simple adaptor is up to true Canton's finest bodge style. As for Tilt, well to be fair it wobbles about enough as it is. But never say never!! :D

TonyW:64725 wrote:I've managed to collect three of these over the years that are now formed in to a "set". They all run on ex-Lima Class 33 bogies.
Oh wow, I do like that setup Tony, they look great together as well. Some proper MU action there. As for the Lima 33 bogies, now that sounds like a good plan & one I may have to follow. Do they have metal wheels? The faller unit does seem rather crude & very noisy so will certainly be replaced in time. Was quite surprised that the worm gear was actually brass/ brass type though! Only problem I can see for me is the voltage, I presume the Lima 33 was 12v? As I am only running it as a single I guess I would struggle to fit enough batteries in for it?

hussra
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by hussra » Fri Jan 13, 2012 7:43 am

Looking good Shane (and Tony) - my own railcar set is making progress, must take a snap or two for you all. Awaiting receiver and speed controller now.
Richard Huss
in sunny Solihull

TonyW
Driver
Driver

Post by TonyW » Fri Jan 13, 2012 9:23 am

Pendo Pilot:64728 wrote:As for the Lima 33 bogies, now that sounds like a good plan & one I may have to follow. Do they have metal wheels?
They have metal tyres, with plastic centres. The same bogies were used on the SNCF Bo-Bo diesel that Lima did. This and the Class 33s crop up on ebay from time to time (example 200697273981).
Pendo Pilot:64728 wrote:Only problem I can see for me is the voltage, I presume the Lima 33 was 12v? As I am only running it as a single I guess I would struggle to fit enough batteries in for it?
Yes, 12v two-rail. You need to bend the pickups away from the wheels if you go to battery power. I have never run one as a single car, but there is room for 8 x AA batteries underneath each car by using two of these:
I wonder if that would be enough? Alternatively, perhaps 10 x AAA batteries might fit? (High-power AAA batteries were not available when I did my conversion)
Tony Willmore
Rhos Helyg Locomotive Works: http://www.rhoshelyg.me.uk
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/RhosHelygLocoWorks

GTB
Driver
Driver

Post by GTB » Fri Jan 13, 2012 2:56 pm

TonyW:64731 wrote: Yes, 12v two-rail. You need to bend the pickups away from the wheels if you go to battery power. I have never run one as a single car, but there is room for 8 x AA batteries underneath each car by using two of these:

I wonder if that would be enough? Alternatively, perhaps 10 x AAA batteries might fit? (High-power AAA batteries were not available when I did my conversion)
I have zero experience of Lima O gauge, but if they are anything like Lima HO, you could give a TGV a run for it's money on 12V.

I fitted 8x NiMH cells with transistor speed control in the Fowler, and with a 12V Como motor and 30:1 gearbox, I don't think I've had it running at more than 1/2 throttle except on the bench. Generally it trundles around at about 1/4 - 1/3 throttle.

Graeme