My First Double Headed Live Steam Train

A very popular starting point for Live Steam. With their low cost comes a number of problems which can be discussed here
Chris Cairns
Driver
Driver

My First Double Headed Live Steam Train

Post by Chris Cairns » Fri Jul 11, 2008 7:22 pm

Having so many locos I've always wanted to try this, but control of front mounted regulator Mamods & MSSs has always seemed to be a stumbling block.

So after running 'Ginny' earlier today I thought I would try a double header with my IP Jane.

As 'Ginny' is heavier then the Jane had to be the pilot loco. As I had already run 'Ginny' I thought I'd warm up the Jane by pulling 'Ginny' cold. But there is too much resistance from the pistons, etc. so it ended up with lots of wheel slipping and only just got about halfway round my water & oil soaked track. So I warmed up the Jane pulling some wagons instead.

As it was not going to be possible to video a standing start you see it in the video after 1 loop from the standing start. I had adjusted the regulator arm on 'Ginny' so that it is vertical when fully closed and full travel is less than 90 degrees. Earlier warm up with the Jane proved 1 full revolution of the regulator as sufficient power. So I opened the regulator enough on 'Ginny' to get it moving, whilst holding back on the Jane, then opened the regulator on the Jane and off they went. Although the Jane seems to be working more, the 3 link chains between the Jane & 'Ginny’ and between 'Ginny' and the first wagon are both under tension so I got it just right. Enjoy!

And for those who prefer YouTube - http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=L6WS8B0fQ_Q

For those of you with sharp eyes you will notice the steam dome is offset on the Jane. This is actually a dome I got from a member on another Forum and I've yet to make an oversized washer for the water top up valve so that it will hold this steam dome in place properly.

And those with sharp hearing will notice a dull clunking noise. This is actually the AnDel coal load in the last open wagon, which I still need to cut & trim to fit like the other 2 in front of it.

Thanks for looking. I hope you enjoyed it, as it gave me great pleasure to see them running around together & under control.

Chris Cairns.
Last edited by Chris Cairns on Tue Jun 05, 2012 4:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Matt
Driver
Driver

Post by Matt » Fri Jul 11, 2008 7:43 pm

Wow! Cool vid!

I like the modified Mamod.
Garden Railways-best hobby in the world.

ACLR
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by ACLR » Fri Jul 11, 2008 9:56 pm

that was great Chris thanks for posting the vid :D