Kent & North Wales Light Railway

A place for the discussion of garden railways and any garden style/scale portable and/or indoor layouts
kandnwlr
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by kandnwlr » Thu Feb 05, 2015 6:34 am

RichMQR:107965 wrote:I've just read through this thread from top to bottom. Others have said it along the way, but it bears repetition -- this is totally amazing! The high standard of construction, the vision and composition of the scenes and the sheer scale of it all. I moved outside and started digging to get a railway with a feeling of being substantial, this achieves all of that and more -- and inside too!
Many thanks. More pics soon, I hope.

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Thu Feb 05, 2015 9:08 am

Andrew
Thanks for the wide shots. Always wondered how all the bits fitted together. Looks like a life's work there - when I think about the work which I put into my small 00 layout which is only a fraction of what you have here I can appreciate the effort which has gone into this. Magnificent work. A great setting.

Rik
------------------------
Peckforton Light Railway - Blog Facebook Youtube

kandnwlr
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by kandnwlr » Thu Feb 05, 2015 9:54 am

Many thanks!

kandnwlr
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by kandnwlr » Sun Feb 08, 2015 11:50 am

Pics from today featuring a DJB L&B "Yeo" back from extended maintenance and repainting.

Image001 by kandnwlr1, on Flickr

Image002 by kandnwlr1, on Flickr

Image004 by kandnwlr1, on Flickr

Image007 by kandnwlr1, on Flickr

Image013 by kandnwlr1, on Flickr

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Sun Feb 08, 2015 2:10 pm

Oooh, I like that. Looks great with those carriages too, wonder if that's because of the resemblance between the L&B and VoR tanks?

I'm quite into the Manning Wardles at the moment, having spent some time yesterday watching a video of the FfR's replica at work. I'd never quite "got" the whole Southern loco in thing, but it makes a lot more sense when you see (and hear) it in action...

To return to your lovely shots of the whole line, that window in the first picture doesn't lead to the great outdoors does it?! By the looks of it it'd be quite a gradient, even from the upper line, but aren't you tempted?! Perhaps not when you've created a whole wonderful world of your own in a warm dry cellar...

Cheers,

Andrew

kandnwlr
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by kandnwlr » Sun Feb 08, 2015 6:47 pm

Andrew:108041 wrote:Oooh, I like that. Looks great with those carriages too, wonder if that's because of the resemblance between the L&B and VoR tanks?

I'm quite into the Manning Wardles at the moment, having spent some time yesterday watching a video of the FfR's replica at work. I'd never quite "got" the whole Southern loco in thing, but it makes a lot more sense when you see (and hear) it in action...

To return to your lovely shots of the whole line, that window in the first picture doesn't lead to the great outdoors does it?! By the looks of it it'd be quite a gradient, even from the upper line, but aren't you tempted?! Perhaps not when you've created a whole wonderful world of your own in a warm dry cellar...

Cheers,

Andrew

Many thanks for the kind words. The gradient outside leading down to the cellar (garages) is steep and not to be attempted if there is ice .... (don´t ask me why I know this).

But since I already have a rack railway track on the K&NWLR, I would have to come up with some other kind of excuse ... on the other side of the house the garden is some 400m to the end, so if I went into the garden (again) it would be with a larger scale!
:shock:

kandnwlr
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by kandnwlr » Sun Feb 15, 2015 6:17 pm

More pics of the Welsh side of the K&NWLR, here with a live steam Pearse W&L "Earl".

Image007 by kandnwlr1, on Flickr

Image014 by kandnwlr1, on Flickr

Image018 by kandnwlr1, on Flickr

Image022 by kandnwlr1, on Flickr

Image027 by kandnwlr1, on Flickr

kandnwlr
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by kandnwlr » Sun Feb 15, 2015 8:03 pm

Room for a niche magazine out there for us indoor live steam 16mm garden railers ...?

ImageCellarRail by kandnwlr1, on Flickr :shock:

Big Jim

Post by Big Jim » Mon Feb 16, 2015 8:46 am

Just off to dig a hole, now where's me spade.

kandnwlr
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by kandnwlr » Sat Feb 21, 2015 8:12 am

A Swift Sixteen WWI "Tin Turtle" painted and lined out by Berry Hill Works, returns to service on the Kent & North Wales Light Railway, after conversion from R/C to manual and Installation of interior lighting. She is seen here pulling the K&NWLR´s directors´ salon carriage around the Kent side of the line .... though not here in the pic, obs ...

Video link below the pic.

ImageK&NWLR: Swift Sixteen Tim Turtle kit painted and lined out by Matt Acton by kandnwlr1, on Flickr

Video quality provided by iPhone ....

https://flic.kr/p/qkAVCv :shock:

St.Michael
Fireman
Fireman

Post by St.Michael » Sat Feb 21, 2015 9:04 am

Lovely and inspiring as always. Thank you! I have read the latest issue of Cellar Rail, and thinking that in my case, maybe a snowcave rw could be of interest? :D

kandnwlr
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by kandnwlr » Sat Feb 21, 2015 4:19 pm

Pics of the line, first of the Kent side, then of the Welsh part, taken to give people a better view of how this 14m x 6m line fits together.

ImageIMG_5390 by kandnwlr1, on Flickr

Image012 by kandnwlr1, on Flickr

Image011 by kandnwlr1, on Flickr

Image005 by kandnwlr1, on Flickr

Image004 by kandnwlr1, on Flickr

Image003 by kandnwlr1, on Flickr

tom_tom_go
Driver
Driver

Post by tom_tom_go » Sun Feb 22, 2015 7:52 pm

You could easily create a similar series to the original Thomas The Tank Engine with that layout, brilliant stuff.

I hope if the AIMREC (http://www.aimrec.co.uk/) building ever get's built we can create something similar as I believe the crowds would love to watch live steam in our scale.

kandnwlr
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by kandnwlr » Sun Feb 22, 2015 8:52 pm

tom_tom_go:108464 wrote:You could easily create a similar series to the original Thomas The Tank Engine with that layout, brilliant stuff.

I hope if the AIMREC (http://www.aimrec.co.uk/) building ever get's built  we can create something similar as I believe the crowds would love to watch live steam in our scale.
I´ve already signed up for AIMREC :)

kandnwlr
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by kandnwlr » Tue Mar 03, 2015 1:53 pm

New girl on the K&NWLR. This is Nigel Town´s Ceylon Government Garratt, just arrived and unpacked, after an eventful voyage from the island.

Image006 by kandnwlr1, on Flickr

Image002 by kandnwlr1, on Flickr

Image001 by kandnwlr1, on Flickr

Dannypenguin
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by Dannypenguin » Tue Mar 03, 2015 9:46 pm

Looks lovely :thumbright:
Dan

Visit the PFLR website - http://poultonfarmlightrailway.webs.com/
Dean Forest Railway Society website - http://dfrsociety.org/

smalldragon
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by smalldragon » Wed Mar 04, 2015 10:43 am

toujours aussi magique les photos de ce reseau...

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Wed Mar 04, 2015 2:59 pm

Are we allowed to submit requests??!

Can we have a film of the Ceylon Garratt on one circuit, with the NGG16 on the other please, with some nicely staged "over and under" scenes at the bridges? It'll look amazing! I'll leave you to work out how to control two locos AND a camera all at the same time of course...

Cheers,

Andrew.

kandnwlr
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by kandnwlr » Wed Mar 04, 2015 4:20 pm

Andrew:108723 wrote:Are we allowed to submit requests??!

Can we have a film of the Ceylon Garratt on one circuit, with the NGG16 on the other please, with some nicely staged "over and under" scenes at the bridges? It'll look amazing! I'll leave you to work out how to control two locos AND a camera all at the same time of course...

Cheers,

Andrew.
Probably easier to control two locos and one camera than vice versa ....

And I was just about to answer this when I managed to shut down my laptop with a random gesture which I cannot repeat even if IT Support asks me nicely.

Anyway, I will put your request on the list, and once I get the NGG16 back from being mended by my nice Swiss friend, after it caught fire ... Are you beginning to note a pattern here?

:?  :shock:  8)
Last edited by kandnwlr on Wed Mar 04, 2015 8:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Wed Mar 04, 2015 8:38 pm

kandnwlr:108726 wrote: Anyway, I will put your request on the list, and once I get the NGG16 back from being mended by my nice Swiss friend, after it caught fire ...
Excellent! I'm particularly looking forward to the special effects...