new estate wagons for Waterfield Hall

Discussion of Rolling Stock related topics should go here
jez kirkwood
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

new estate wagons for Waterfield Hall

Post by jez kirkwood » Tue Nov 29, 2011 3:48 pm

I've designed some wagons for Waterfield Hall using the WD axlebox castings from Freshwater models. They will be used for firewood and general goods, they are small enough to be hand shunted in the cellar tramway under the house and narrower than the rest of the stock in order to fit through the narrow doorways on the handworked section.....
Here are the rough plans
Last edited by jez kirkwood on Tue Nov 29, 2011 3:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jez kirkwood
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by jez kirkwood » Tue Nov 29, 2011 3:51 pm

Spent a couple of hours on the bandsaw this morning cutting the timber for the 10 wagons, these will be gradually built as time allows. The frames are oak and the deck/end planks mahogony.

MTA

Post by MTA » Tue Nov 29, 2011 5:24 pm

Very industrious way of working there, Jez.

I particularly like your sketches, wish I was that good at drawing...

MDLR
Driver
Driver

Post by MDLR » Tue Nov 29, 2011 7:05 pm

Looks very promising - MOTY entry at Peterborough, maybe?
Brian L Dominic
Managing Director
Flagg Fluorspar Co
www.mdlr.co.uk/ff.html

laalratty
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by laalratty » Tue Nov 29, 2011 8:46 pm

Looks like a nice design, and those drawings really are a work of art!
"What the hell is that?"
"It's a model icebreaker sir."
"It's a bit big isn't it?"
"It's a full scale model sir....."

jez kirkwood
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by jez kirkwood » Tue Nov 29, 2011 9:59 pm

Thanks chaps,
These wagons are going to look seriously run down, here's a few pics of a forestry wagon that I'm building for the SE lounge car swap (secret santa) I plan to use the same techniques for ageing the wood on these new wagons.

andysleigh
Driver
Driver

Post by andysleigh » Wed Nov 30, 2011 1:20 am

wowwww. full of charector already!
16mm or 7/8?

Keith S
Driver
Driver

Post by Keith S » Wed Nov 30, 2011 4:49 am

Where'd you get the miniature horseshoes? And how in the world did you make the wood look like that? Genius!

jez kirkwood
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by jez kirkwood » Wed Nov 30, 2011 7:51 am

Guys, this are 7/8ths scale, the ones I'm building for myself are 1:12 scale. The horse shoes I forged from iron wire heated up with a gas torch.... The ageing of the wood is really simple, I'll post a step-by-step as I do the wagons
Cheers
jez

jez kirkwood
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by jez kirkwood » Sun Jan 08, 2012 10:32 am

So having finished the Corris van I thought I'd make a start on these wagons. Here's how I age the wood -

First thing to do is make some 'soup', I use an old coffee jar into which I have placed a few rusty nails and a wodge of wire wool, this is then filled with white vinegar and left with it's lid on for a few days.....

Next cut all the wood to size, I have a small bandsaw and usually rip old timber to the sizes I need but basswood sections work just as well. For this model I'm using oak for the framing and mahogony for the planks (these are from old scrap bit of furniture), different woods will react differently to the 'soup' so experiment. take one piece at a time and mount in a vice.

Remember that you only need to treat the areas that will be seen. Next take a drill mounted wire brush and attack the wood - in the pic I'm using a small brush in a dremel but I often use a larger 'DIY shop bargain bin' one in a standard cordless drill.

Turn the piece over and do all visible sides, it's easy to vary the amount of decay you put in. You should end up with something like this.

Now it's time to brush on the 'soup'. Use a largish brush and paint on a generous amount - don't expect any instant results, although depending on the type of wood and the strength of your 'soup' you may see some quick changes. In this case the 'soup' has been maturing for a few months and reacted almost straightaway with the oak (which has very high levels of tanin) but the mahogony just looked wet.

Now the fun bit - leave the wet wood on a tray and go have a drink, check the forum and go to bed! Next morning the magic should have happened........

Easy as that, and cheap :D
Cheers
Jez

MTA

Post by MTA » Sun Jan 08, 2012 12:22 pm

Jez,

Would you mind if I copied your post and put it as a separate thread in the reference board? Either that or you can do it.

jez kirkwood
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by jez kirkwood » Sun Jan 08, 2012 1:03 pm

MTA:64505 wrote:Jez,

Would you mind if I copied your post and put it as a separate thread in the reference board? Either that or you can do it.
Just done it :D

Keith S
Driver
Driver

Post by Keith S » Sun Jan 08, 2012 6:37 pm

That is quite astonishing. It wouldn't have occurred to me to do that, but it's so simple and looks very authentic.

Thanks for posting that.

jez kirkwood
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by jez kirkwood » Tue Jan 10, 2012 2:21 pm

OK, over the last couple of days I've put the wagon together - nothing clever just woodglue, nuts and bolts.....

That's the first one done - only another nine :shock: , these will be built slowly between other projects.........

MDLR
Driver
Driver

Post by MDLR » Tue Jan 10, 2012 5:29 pm

jez kirkwood:64595 wrote:That's the first one done - only another nine, these will be built slowly between other projects.........
............... and they Will be coming to Peterborough for the MOTY, won't they??
Brian L Dominic
Managing Director
Flagg Fluorspar Co
www.mdlr.co.uk/ff.html