A 5" gauge layout

A place for the discussion of garden railways and any garden style/scale portable and/or indoor layouts
Stewart Gethin
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by Stewart Gethin » Wed Nov 30, 2011 11:03 am

Ah, in case of emergency, please leave through the back of the train, keep your head low, and go as fast as you can. ;)

There isn't any vents, or emergency exits.

Thanks for all support guys.

Our garden, goes around the side of our house, and then around to the back. but it's all terraced, so the railway is on the middle terrace which is also the biggest. :D

More pictures

Access ramp over the railway...
The concrete on the first bit, Spikes on the right to hold a wall that is now in place. :D
Same but in snow..
Winterproofing the otherhalf whilst it goes off...
spooky..

That's all for now. :D By the way, this was the railway last winter, so there's still a bit of work to show. :P

Dr. Bond of the DVLR
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by Dr. Bond of the DVLR » Wed Nov 30, 2011 12:23 pm

Excellent, whats the radius of the corners?
The railway which people forgot
(to build)

Narrow Minded
Driver
Driver

Post by Narrow Minded » Wed Nov 30, 2011 12:42 pm

Mr. Bond of the DVLR:62133 wrote:Excellent, whats the radius of the corners?
What's the radius of the CURVES (sorry it's a pet hate!)

Dr. Bond of the DVLR
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by Dr. Bond of the DVLR » Wed Nov 30, 2011 1:16 pm

slip of the tongue... :oops:
(to build)

Pretoria
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by Pretoria » Wed Nov 30, 2011 1:26 pm

:hello2:
Stewart Gethin:62131 wrote:Ah, in case of emergency, please leave through the back of the train, keep your head low, and go as fast as you can. ;) What happens if there is a fire behind the train when it stops ?

There isn't any vents, or emergency exits. Unsafe! (I hear the HSE Rail Inspector cry !)
I'm confused (usual state of affairs) -- does the above photo show the trackbed going back over the top of the tunnel ?

Can we have a track layout sketch ?

:wave:

METHSSNIFFER
Driver
Driver

Post by METHSSNIFFER » Wed Nov 30, 2011 5:07 pm

Looks really good I know you are running battery power but if you ever purchase steam if you havent already you will need some form of ventilation This is a confined space so there is a danger of inhalation of fumes Im only thinking of your health and safety

Dr. Bond of the DVLR
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by Dr. Bond of the DVLR » Wed Nov 30, 2011 5:11 pm

Advice on inhaling fumes from methssniffer... :lol: :lol:
Not really sure a tunnel of this size warrants ventilation at all, tunnels on 5 inch gauge are much airier than a scale tunnel would be as it has to fit people through it, obviously, in passing through a steam engine couldn't produce enough fumes to have any sort of compromise on the driver or passenger's health compared to the volume of air in the tunnel. Sure if you stopped for a while in the middle and had doors on each side you might consider ventilation but I really don't think its that much of an issue...
(to build)

Pretoria
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by Pretoria » Wed Nov 30, 2011 5:32 pm

Please take my comments re ventilation as Forum-tongue-in-cheek! ;)

METHSSNIFFER
Driver
Driver

Post by METHSSNIFFER » Wed Nov 30, 2011 7:08 pm

Its not only fumes, in damp conditions mold and fungus has a tendancy to grow can cause asthmatic symptoms. But Im only giving my advise from my experience working in confined spaces.
The tunnel is a cofined space sorry confined space.

Pretoria
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by Pretoria » Wed Nov 30, 2011 7:27 pm

METHSSNIFFER:62153 wrote:Its not only fumes, in damp conditions mold and fungus has a tendancy to grow can cause asthmatic symptoms. But Im only giving my advise from my experience working in confined spaces.
The tunnel is a cofined space sorry confined space.
:| Making a serious point here -- most model engineering club tracks have tunnels, 30+ft (10+m for the metric loons) and I have not come across one yet with a vent (never mind escape tunnels !), and neither have I (with a track-full of steam locos) had, or heard of, any respiratory problems occuring. :?

invicta280
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by invicta280 » Wed Nov 30, 2011 9:41 pm

Hi
Its obvious from the photos that a lot of planning has gone into this and you've given it a lot of thought. However it has to be asked,
as this is a 'cut and cover' tunnel rather than a bore tunnel, is there any reinforcing steel in the concrete roof?

Just wondering because the garden may reassert itself over the top and heavy things may get put there. Also concrete is not renowned for its tensile strength.

You may be several jumps ahead on this. In which case ignore the above.
Its going to be fun garden line at any rate. The neighbours must be puzzled. Probably think your digging an underground nuke shelter.

Keith S
Driver
Driver

Post by Keith S » Thu Dec 01, 2011 6:31 am

Are there any plans for steam on this railway?

Stewart Gethin
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by Stewart Gethin » Thu Dec 01, 2011 7:12 am

Right then, about ventilation, if we don't put doors on it it'll be fine, as the tunnel ends catch the wind quite well, so there'll always be a some sort of airflow through the tunnel, and having me on a back of a train going through it will help aswell, (I'm 6ft) So I that's all the vents questions answered.

As for what length are the curves, I'd have to go measure that one, I wouldn't like to guess.

Pretoria, if should a fire break at the back of the train, then you should ask yourself why the bloody heck is there a fire in a solid concrete structure?

Invicta, as you predicted, there is steel reinforcing in the roof, and the garden has been put on top of it, and it's had a 1.5tonne mini digger driving over the top of it, so I don't think there is a problem with weight bearing. :) Thanks for asking though.

As for plans for steam, it's a case of money on this, as a simple 5" gauge live steamer costs roughly £2,000? Where as a battery run diesel cost around the £700 mark I beleive. I would love to have steam on the line.

Hope I've answered all your questions.

Stew

Pretoria
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by Pretoria » Thu Dec 01, 2011 9:40 am

Stewart Gethin:62176 wrote:Right then ............ Pretoria, if should a fire break at the back of the train, then you should ask yourself why the bloody heck is there a fire in a solid concrete structure?
:oops:  Oooops -- Fair do's on that one then.
Stewart Gethin:62176 wrote:Right thenHope I've answered all your questions.
:banghead:   Nope:-
Pretoria:62141 wrote:I'm confused (usual state of affairs) -- does the above [now following] photo show the trackbed going back over the top of the tunnel ?

Can we have a track layout sketch ?

And re-steam -- you could always have visitors ! :roll:

:wave:

DaveWatkins
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by DaveWatkins » Thu Dec 01, 2011 4:53 pm

I do like your tunnel. The nearest I have managed to get to a tunnel on my 5" line is running through garden arches - and under the props holding up an old damson tree.

Is your line flat? I have a 1 in 50 gradient which the battery electric hardly notices. With steam though you really do have to drive the engine to climb the bank and a brake helps a lot when running down.
Dave

Stewart Gethin
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by Stewart Gethin » Thu Dec 01, 2011 7:24 pm

Sorry Pretoria, missed that one. ;)

No, the tunnel runs under the blue tarpaulin that is there. you can almost see the entrance to it next to the blue shed. (Ish)

And steam may be a possibity with visitors in the future, just gotta get it all sorted out first. :) And I think loco's will be restricted to 0-4-0's and 0-6-0's, but not sure yet, depending on the radius of the curves.

Hey Dave, no, the line isn't flat, it runs up through the station, and then down the otherside of the tunnel, you can really notice it when the battery gets low, but otherwise the little ruston handles the gradient fine. The brakes are needed on the going down bit as it's shorter than the going up bits, so needs to go down the same amount as has gone up in that short distance(did that make sense?)

Stew.

Dr. Bond of the DVLR
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by Dr. Bond of the DVLR » Sat Dec 03, 2011 10:23 am

I bought my 5 inch loco for 1200 pounds in a bit of a state and have (am still) brought (bringing) it into running order. At that price its cheaper than most roundhouse models! I was surprised at the radius of curve it can still negotiate, its an 0-6-0.
(to build)

Nomis
Fireman
Fireman

Post by Nomis » Mon Dec 05, 2011 8:32 pm

Great work!

Any chance of a photo tour of the line (or even better - a video 8) )?

Stewart Gethin
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by Stewart Gethin » Mon Dec 05, 2011 10:38 pm

this is one taken a while ago. ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ULevxSYadXo

Stew. also, check out the other video's on there.

Pretoria
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by Pretoria » Mon Dec 05, 2011 10:47 pm

Stewart Gethin:62491 wrote:this is one taken a while ago. ;)   http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ULevxSYadXo
Stew. also, check out the other video's on there.
:scratch:   That bottom point looks like a bit of trouble !  Otherwise (as she says)  --  What fun ! :wave: