East Kent Locomotive works.

A place for discussing battery-electric locomotives, whether they're diesel, steam or even electric outline
Johnnie2sheds
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

East Kent Locomotive works.

Post by Johnnie2sheds » Mon Nov 07, 2011 12:53 pm

Hi All,

Just a quick picture of the two locomotives being built at the local factory. (Ok My dining room table) Got the Jack and Jessica from a great Welsh fella residing in the US a while ago. They're going together nicely apart from a few bodges all is ok. Yes even the old style gearboxes seem ok  The Danny  from KGR is having a bit of a rejig, as im not a fan of pop rivets. Each will have a different sound system and all controlled from a single Timpdon radio controller, with the fail safe disabled (good job they are steel then). They will fit in nicely with what I got running round in my head for the future. If, when they are finished anyone would like me to come and do some playing....er I mean testing.... I'd be grateful as I'm stuck in this flat still and my railway at the moment is a pack of AMAX track! :lol: :oops:    

IrishPeter
Driver
Driver

Post by IrishPeter » Mon Nov 07, 2011 5:01 pm

Nice looking pair of "electric rats" you have there, sir! I rather like old fashioned looking infernal combustion locomotives having been bainwahed by the Rustons and such like that used to operate around the local chalk and clay pits when I lived in the UK as a kid.

Peter in AZ
Traffic Pattern? What pattern? Spuds out; grain in, but cattle, sheep and passengers are a lot less predictable.

sstjc
Fireman
Fireman

Post by sstjc » Mon Nov 07, 2011 10:44 pm

Which part of East Kent ???

Johnnie2sheds
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by Johnnie2sheds » Tue Nov 08, 2011 8:55 am

Folkestone....... :)

Johnnie2sheds
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by Johnnie2sheds » Wed Nov 09, 2011 9:47 am

Just a few more photos.. All I really have left to do is make the radiator grilles with their tail lights, wire them up and go round making sure everything is as it should be. I'm going to let them stand around a while then lightly weather them. I have noticed that the motor on of them gets rather warm but I cant see for the life of me where its binding, so to try to avoid the known failure point (ie where the motor comes unstuck!) I shall be 10 minutes on 10 minutes off when im running them in.
Ive added various bits to the Danny class loco too. Handrails, lights and the like. I think my next purchase will be a live steamer to redress the balance a bit. (its diesel 5 steam 1 railcar 1 at the minute)
Any recommendations for a live steam virgin?

MDLR
Driver
Driver

Post by MDLR » Wed Nov 09, 2011 10:01 am

With regard to a steam loco, you can't (in my opinion) go far wrong with Roundhouse and in view of your workshop skills you could go for a kit, bought in easy stages as you're ready and maybe with a body kit modified by you.
Brian L Dominic
Managing Director
Flagg Fluorspar Co
www.mdlr.co.uk/ff.html

Johnnie2sheds
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by Johnnie2sheds » Wed Nov 09, 2011 9:54 pm

Do you know, Ive fancied one of their Fowler machines for some time...... I didnt know you could get em in kit form either....... :shock:

Johnnie2sheds
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by Johnnie2sheds » Tue Dec 13, 2011 12:13 pm

Well they are all but finished. I have to find a way of glueing some 10BA nuts inside the bonnet mountings to allow me to fix down the lids, I refuse to use those hideous self tappers; also, Im going to weather them a little. The single bonnet IP is going to be named "HAL FARSED" the two bonnet is" FIRCOMBE HALL" and the LC is going to be "GNIHTEMOS" not very original I know but made me smile... plates on way from Narrow Planet hopefully. I fitted R/C from Timpdon, using one controller for all three locos, simple, cheap(ish) and effective. I managed to squeeze 8AAs in each of the IPEs and 6 in the LC, giving a run time of about 2 1/2 - 3 hours. Each one has a different sound system fitted. They are fitted with headlights and red marker lights in each direction. I loved making them up and provided you follow some instructions to the letter and completely ignore some of the others they fly together. The only problem Ive encountered is the two bonnet loco runs hot and Ive not been able to shake off its headache stiffnesswise. It runs nice and smooth so its difficult to see where it is binding, but it must be at its motor gets significantly warmer than the single bonnet job. Time will tell I spose. It will probably wait until there are 30 LGB boys stood round it then go bang!

Its a pity IPE stopped making these.... they have such a presence for a small diesel shunter.

FIRCOMBE HALL

HAL FARSED

GNIHTEMOS