Fence Buildings on the FBGR

What is your latest project?
FBGR
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by FBGR » Mon Oct 17, 2011 2:54 pm

The station and yard area on our railway is a timber decked portion, about 6½ metres long, alongside a timber boundary fence. The hiding and dressing up of this fence has been ongoing for some time and is now nearing completion, so this is an outline of how I have been doing this. I can go into more detail about certain elements should anyone be interested.
The initial work consisted of black painted timber boarding, fixed to and hiding the fence lower aris rail. Behind the loco shed area were stuck some vacuum formed stonework sheets to this timber - this only covered a low portion of the fence, what was wanted was something higher. Anything made had to be in sections suitable for taking to the railway on the bus, as I live remotely from the FBGR and gave up my car in order to be able to afford to go on holidays.
In line with the general continental look of the railway, we fancied some houses/shops like the POLA low profile buildings. Gaugemaster had PolaG Number 331770 is in stock and ready to ship at £158.90 (last year). This is 42cm wide. With the total length of fence is in excess of 6 metres this would cost a total well over £2,000, and as there are only 5 different models in the range they would all look a bit repetitive unless they were hacked about a bit. The fence posts would also have been a bit of a problem.
02 Blds in Pola Catalog.JPG
02 Blds in Pola Catalog.JPG (237.07 KiB) Viewed 3635 times
Page 46 from PolaG Katalog 04/05

I thought about copying the general shape, size and form of these units, but soon realised that all that timber decoration, widows and other details was going to take a long time to replicate. So I started to look round for something a little simpler that would still be in keeping with the general theme of the FBGR.
What I found were a couple of pictures taken while on holiday in Austria in 2005. Since the advent of digital photography I am more likely to take general views of places when out and about. This was the case with in Bludenz where I took a few street shots.
02 bludenz 2.JPG
02 bludenz 2.JPG (141.19 KiB) Viewed 3635 times
02 bludenz 1.JPG
02 bludenz 1.JPG (139.91 KiB) Viewed 3635 times
Houses / Shops in central Bludenz, Austria, not far from the Station

The proportions and colours are what I was looking for, as well as something not too complicated.
Plasticard was used throughout, mostly 1 mm thick fully stiffened and braced. First I made the windows (including painting, glazing and internal ‘picture’) and other openings, and then the roof with sky, fitting them all into or onto the wall. The details of the windows with small mouldings on both sides, a window sill and a large moulding across the top made it useful in hiding the edge of the window recess. In the first instance I didn’t notice that there were blinds on the windows that did not have shutters, so the first house built doesn’t have these - next time look more closely at the photos.
For the plain part of the fence, each individual house/shop is 29 to 36 cm wide wide, 49½ cm high and 4 cm plus the gutter deep, and are hung from the fence with brass screws. The Hotel Post was made to fit round one of the fence posts and the Rathaus (Town Hall) round the other.
The inspiration for the industrial building that overlooks our Engine Shed also came from Austria. This time it was in Landec, a Calcium Carbide factory that happened to have its own railway siding and locomotive, although it was the brickwork details that first attracted me to it.
02 Landec Factory 1.jpg
02 Landec Factory 1.jpg (258.27 KiB) Viewed 3635 times
02 Landec Factory 1.jpg
02 Landec Factory 1.jpg (258.27 KiB) Viewed 3635 times
Donau Cheme Calcium Carbide factory in Landec, Austria, March 2011

After a few buildings were made and fixed it was realised that the black painted or plastic stone covered boards along the bottom of the fence were just not good enough, so an arched retaining wall with parapet and small bit of paving was made. This had to cover the fence lower aris rail, the power cable to the shed and had to be set back a little to avoid the track at its nearest point. Again this was made in 1 mm Plasticard, and again had to be made in short sections suitable for transport to the railway. The initial portions were rather repetitive, but the later sections facing the Station Yard were used as an experiment and to further the development of my plastic skills. These are fixed to the fence via home made brackets from 10 x 2 mm flat aluminium strip with brass screws.

For some picture see my Introduction – www.gardenrails.myfreeforum.org/about4682.html

All that remains to be done on this project is a few more houses on the left hand end overlooking the Station Yard and then make some sort of filling sections for the gaps between the buildings – perhaps sky going into mountains into trees into fence or wall.
Things are progressing well, and I hope to be able to complete everything this year. The buildings cost under £20 each to make, this being about half in plastic and half in paint (Humbrol). The retaining wall portions cost a little less than this.
02 South Arches 9 Sep 11.jpg
02 South Arches 9 Sep 11.jpg (170.63 KiB) Viewed 3635 times
South End Arches on 9 September 2011 – these arches are my first attempt at weathering
only the first two houses in this street fitted at this date.

More pics will follow as I finish it all off

JOhn
Attachments
02 Landec Factory 2.jpg
02 Landec Factory 2.jpg (262.03 KiB) Viewed 3635 times
Last edited by FBGR on Sat Jul 01, 2017 8:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

MDLR
Driver
Driver

Post by MDLR » Mon Oct 17, 2011 3:35 pm

That's a novel and interesting way to solve the problem - well done!
Brian L Dominic
Managing Director
Flagg Fluorspar Co
www.mdlr.co.uk/ff.html

FBGR
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by FBGR » Wed Oct 19, 2011 2:43 pm

Fixed the latest house this morning.
02 latest 19 Oct 11.jpg
02 latest 19 Oct 11.jpg (172.23 KiB) Viewed 3635 times
This also shows the paving and aluminium brackets holding the retaining wall units.

JOhn
Last edited by FBGR on Sat Jul 01, 2017 7:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sir Clothem Cap
Driver
Driver

Post by Sir Clothem Cap » Sun Oct 30, 2011 10:25 am

That is a wonderful way of hiding the fence without taking up much room. Do you cast the houses in cement?

IrishPeter
Driver
Driver

Post by IrishPeter » Sun Oct 30, 2011 9:33 pm

Isn't Calcium Carbide what they used to put into acetylene generators? Useful stuff if it was, and I bet half of us know the joke about the vicar and Edwardian motorist...

Peter in AZ
Traffic Pattern? What pattern? Spuds out; grain in, but cattle, sheep and passengers are a lot less predictable.

FBGR
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by FBGR » Sun Oct 30, 2011 9:57 pm

Dear Bryan,

The buildings are all constructed from Plasticard.

Here is a pic of the back of the greenish house (3rd from left) before the widows (glazing with picture behind) were fixed - I completely paint and varnish the fronts at this stage, saves having to mess around trying to varnish the window frames without getting varnish on the glazing.
02 Back of FB13 a.jpg
02 Back of FB13 a.jpg (152.6 KiB) Viewed 3635 times
Dear Peter,

Yes it is the same stuff - just add water and you get acetylene - used today in steel production and some chemical processes.

No I don't know recall the joke.

JOhn
Last edited by FBGR on Sat Jul 01, 2017 7:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sir Clothem Cap
Driver
Driver

Post by Sir Clothem Cap » Mon Oct 31, 2011 4:25 pm

Wow John,
That is some wonderful plasticard skills you have there Very impressive.

FBGR
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by FBGR » Mon Oct 31, 2011 6:33 pm

Dear Bryan,

Doing little else the past year but making these buildings and retaining walls has given me plenty of practice.

AND, I don’t seem to cut my fingers quite so much nowadays.

I am now looking forward to getting the project completed though, so I can get stuck into something else - yes it will likely be in Plasticard.

JOhn

FBGR
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by FBGR » Thu Nov 10, 2011 12:27 pm

Two houses fitted to the fence this morning – yellow and purple - this should be the last of these.
02 10 Nov 11 cropped.jpg
02 10 Nov 11 cropped.jpg (199.98 KiB) Viewed 3635 times

Next is the gaps each side of the ‘Rathaus’ - I’ve started on these and with luck (baring changes of mind and mistakes) they should be ready next week.

JOhn
Last edited by FBGR on Sat Jul 01, 2017 7:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

tom_tom_go
Driver
Driver

Post by tom_tom_go » Thu Nov 10, 2011 7:04 pm

Hi John,

The buildings look great. Can you come and do all this on my railway when I 'eventually' finish it ;)

Cheers,

Tom
RWLR

FBGR
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by FBGR » Thu Nov 17, 2011 1:50 pm

I went down to the FBGR this morning and fixed the background/gap fillers each side of the Rathaus.
02 Rathaus gaps filled 17 Nov.jpg
02 Rathaus gaps filled 17 Nov.jpg (147.44 KiB) Viewed 3635 times
Low but quite bright sun made getting a good picture difficult.

Just the gaps each side of the industrial building to do now, and I have already started on these.

JOhn
Last edited by FBGR on Sat Jul 01, 2017 7:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

FBGR
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by FBGR » Thu Nov 24, 2011 1:27 pm

I visited the FBGR this morning and fixed in place another gap filler – this time between the Hotel Post (fitted round the fence post) and the calcium carbide factory.
Gap filler 3 24Nov11 cropped.jpg
Gap filler 3 24Nov11 cropped.jpg (201.34 KiB) Viewed 3635 times
A bit of a woopsy where the sky / mountain interface on the new bit is above the all sky bit on the factory, but this hardly shows, and I can probably apply a little dap of paint to cover this.

What does show is the amount of fading of the sky (blue) paint. I have notes about every colour used so I know that the paint (Humbrol 89) and the varnish (Humbrol 49) is the same, yet the Post Hotel (erected April this year) and the factory sky (erected June) now look quite different. I suppose that the newer paintwork will also ‘fade’ over time, and I will have to hope that they will all look the same in time.

Next (and maybe last) will be the other end of the factory - I have already made this and have started the painting, so it should be ready to fix in place next week.

JOhn
Last edited by FBGR on Sat Jul 01, 2017 7:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

FBGR
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by FBGR » Tue Nov 29, 2011 3:15 pm

I've fixed in place this morning what was planned to be the last section of the fence buildings.

This comprised of the right-hand (north) end of the factory - to which I have included an extra factory bay to balance out the structure, as well as sky and background.
02 Factory Complete 29Nov11 cropped.jpg
02 Factory Complete 29Nov11 cropped.jpg (169.82 KiB) Viewed 3635 times
Yet again the painted colours of the new section does not match the adjacent section that had been exposed to the air / sunlight / UV for a couple of months - I had hoped for better from Humbrol.

The first of the fence buildings was erected on 4th August 2010, so considering the amount of work on the buildings and retaining wall, I am pleased with being able to finish it this year.

Hopefully this will encourage me in future to concentrate on one single main project at any one time.

As I did not start this String until the Project was well under way, do I dare start another Forum String to share the completion / carrying out other things that I have started and not progresses for more than a year or I have been planning for a long time?.

JOhn