IPS Janet Project

Discussion of Live Steam locomotives should be located here
Chris Cairns
Driver
Driver

IPS Janet Project

Post by Chris Cairns » Tue Jun 24, 2008 9:18 pm

This has been an ongoing project which sees a little progress now & then, so as I've got some time available online, I thought I'd update you on this project.

Being impressed with my IP Jane ( http://gardenrails.myfreeforum.org/about167.html # I kept my eye open for another one, but they were quite a rare item on ebay a few years ago.

So when the following IP Jane bodywork was listed, I won it thinking that I could use a Mamod to recreate a Jane look-alike.

However I found that the spectacle plate was not compatible with the rear boiler insert on the Mamod boiler, requiring the spectacle plate to be moved forward to allow the fitting of a safety valve, water top up valve or even the cab mounted regulator.

So when a listing appeared for a PPS boiler, plus other bits listed as from a PPS Janet, I beat the competition including tmuir & ACLR to win this bundle. I also bought some multi height couplings from the same seller.

The quality of these boilers is not as good as the Cheddar Models one fitted to my IP Jane. If you look at the front end you will see the 2nd hole that has been scored due to bad fitting into the smoke box. When I refurbished this boiler I had to adjust these holes with a file to get the boiler to fit vertically in the smoke box, and I've soldered 6BA brass nuts to the inside front face to give a more positive method of securing it to the smoke box.

The pipes for the sight glass tube have been misaligned, and the tube that was in there was broken at the top. Thanks to advice on another Forum I was able to easily cut a new piece of glass tube to fit. I've left the 2 bolts out of the extra boiler inserts until I decide which side to mount a pressure gauge.

The rolling chassis was described as from a PPS Janet, but I think part, if not all, of it comes from an IP Jane, as it has the earlier IP Eng wheels with the holes around the inside face. One of these wheel sets was out of gauge #just like 1 on my Jane# so this was punched out to the right size. They came with Mamod coupling rods but no clips. I've found out that these are 3.2mm e-clips #not circlips# and are difficult to get in small quantities. I got some off ebay, but a radio control buggy/car shop may be your best source #none of the traders at the recent Merstham Model Steam show had any available#.

I've obtained a reverser/regulator valve from Dream Steam to fit to this loco, but that is currently in my SL3. SillyBilly was kind enough to donate a beat up Mamod combustion chamber #I must get that DVD posted sometime!), and this is being modified to fit. However I've been soldering up the tack welding that has failed on the flaps at each end, but now wonder if the plumbers solder I've been using will be strong enough to hold up whilst heating the boiler using a gas burner?

The PPS bundle included a horizontal gas tank, pipe & jet for a ceramic gas burner. But I need to get a burner for this at some point.

The bundle also came with a Mamod smoke box & loose chimney, and I'm currently considering whether to have a balloon

or straight chimney fitted. I've obtained a front buffer plate from a fellow IP Jane owner.

I've also obtained a Roundhouse lubricator to fit, but this will need the pipe work adjusting, and I'll need to get another gas torch as my butane one does not want to melt some silver solder I got on another Forum's recommendation from ebay.

Here is an earlier photo of a practice fit before I started refurbishing the boiler, etc.

For those that did not see my original posting, or have forgotten why, the name IPS Janet comes from combining IP Jane & PPS Janet as it has components from both of these locos.

Thanks for looking at this posting. I'll update it when there is some more progress.

Chris Cairns.
Last edited by Chris Cairns on Fri Sep 21, 2012 1:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ACLR
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by ACLR » Tue Jun 24, 2008 10:32 pm

great project Chris I look forward to seeing it running :D

SillyBilly
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by SillyBilly » Tue Jun 24, 2008 11:08 pm

Very interesting, I think it'd be nice to see a Jane with a spark arrestor chimney for a change.

Chris Cairns
Driver
Driver

Post by Chris Cairns » Sat Jul 12, 2008 9:22 pm

As pointed out by alan2525 the pipe work on the Roundhouse lubricator is at a different angle to the one that IP Eng used on the IP Jane.

So after annealing the pipes I have managed to get it to sort of fit.
As you can see with the horizontal gas tank it is all a very tight fit in the cab!

I've still to finish soldering up the combustion chamber, and the other end of the pipe coming out of the lubricator will need to be shortened as well to allow a proper fit to the steam pipe going forward to the reverser/regulator at the front. And those nipples will need silver soldering up on the lubricator after pipes have been finally trimmed.

ACLR
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by ACLR » Sat Jul 12, 2008 10:34 pm

definately no room left in that cab :roll:

SillyBilly
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by SillyBilly » Sat Jul 12, 2008 11:05 pm

Have to cut Fred's legs off! Coming together very nicely now Chris :) .