Latest Additions to the Steam Shed (Video now added)

Discussion of Live Steam locomotives should be located here
SillyBilly
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by SillyBilly » Sun Jun 29, 2008 6:41 pm

Very nice purchase Chris.

Chris Cairns
Driver
Driver

Post by Chris Cairns » Fri Jul 11, 2008 7:13 pm

1st Addition Video

As 'Ginny' was still sat on my table after its photo studio session above, I decided to take the regulator apart and give it a few runs.

Sadly my camera batteries are almost dead, and I left the new ones in Aberdeen. So this video is rather short.

And for those who prefer YouTube - http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=HnQqFUeiRlw

As you can probably hear the stove pipe chimney does not produce any chuff, and in fact just creates a trail of condensate instead.

I still have not worked out a system for filling this boiler with no sight glass. As it is the same size as a Mamod boiler, I guess I can measure how much I put into a Mamod boiler and use that figure (sadly most of my syringes have no markings left due to use).

The good news is that the gas does run out before the water (unlike my gas tank in the IP Jane).

Also learnt another valuable lesson. This loco has sprung centre buffers and I've only got 2 pieces of rolling stock with centre buffers fitted (I will be making a converter wagon out of a Mamod flatbed with centre buffer on one end & Mamod coupling on the other end). Using a 3 link chain seems to leave a large gap between the loco & wagon so I reduced that to using 2 links. This had the effect of pulling the wagon off the track when running at high speed and causing a derailment. Fortunately it does not derail the loco as it is so heavy.

Chris Cairns.
Last edited by Chris Cairns on Fri Sep 21, 2012 3:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Matt
Driver
Driver

Post by Matt » Fri Jul 11, 2008 7:45 pm

Good loco.
Garden Railways-best hobby in the world.

ACLR
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by ACLR » Fri Jul 11, 2008 10:04 pm

another great Chris Cairns productions
thanks mate :D

Chris Cairns
Driver
Driver

Post by Chris Cairns » Sun Jul 13, 2008 8:39 pm

4th Addition

I have just managed to get the Mike Chaney modified Mamod running. I've removed the wheels for fixing, and put in a not so loose driving axle. It takes about 1/3rd of the servo movement to get enough steam through to get the pistons moving and at least 2/3rds of the movement to get any wheel speed. So I guess once this loco has been run in again and is free running, I can adjust the start point of this servo arm to get some smooth slow running. Water gauge tube is excellent, works very well.

SillyBilly
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by SillyBilly » Sun Jul 13, 2008 9:21 pm

I enjoyed the video of 'Ginny' I look forward to more photos of the R/C loco.