Small diesel suitable for half inch scale railway.

A place for discussing battery-electric locomotives, whether they're diesel, steam or even electric outline
IrishPeter
Driver
Driver

Small diesel suitable for half inch scale railway.

Post by IrishPeter » Fri Sep 09, 2011 7:22 pm

A question for y'all...

The PW dept. is whining that they need a hack to drag loads of ballast and bits around the railway, and they don't want to have to wait for the "kettle" to boil, so that means a "diesel."  There also isn't the money in the kitty for another "kettle" right now.  

I am looking for a small 45mm gauge diesel shunter.  However, there are two requirements.  Firstly it should not exceed scale 7'6" in width - 3.75" or 95mm wide - and the cab should be relatively free of equipment to its height can be reduced to about 10 scale feet - 5"/127mm.

I have looked at IP range and a couple of their more generic "wee beasties" appeal to me, but there seem to be some drive train issues which reoccur with some frequency on these boards.

Any comments, recommendations, or advice?

Peter in AZ
Traffic Pattern? What pattern? Spuds out; grain in, but cattle, sheep and passengers are a lot less predictable.

DLRdan
Driver
Driver

Post by DLRdan » Fri Sep 09, 2011 7:47 pm

I can recomend the 'Feanor' with the 4 wheel drive kit. The gears have never given me trouble and it has run for a very long time without serious bother. It is already about the right height and width and has a completely empty cab. On reasonably clean track it handles my 4 IP VOR coaches with ease.
Dan,

James: "Dan, can you use your hearing and tell me if that trains coming ?"
DLR
www.freewebs.com/dlrail

Steven.T
Fireman
Fireman

Post by Steven.T » Sat Sep 10, 2011 10:07 am

Go for an essel chassis and scratch build your own body?
Worked for me! And I highly reccomend the essel chassis!