hussra
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

George and Mildred

Post by hussra » Mon Aug 01, 2011 12:02 pm

Interesting...

George

Mildred

Just appeared on the Roundhouse web site - British style 0-4-0T with or without tender. I quite like the style - nice to have some proper footplate over the cylinders.

Not quite so sure about the tender - a bit big? I'd leave that off, close off the gap at the back of the cab with some doors, and add a bunker on the tank.

Appears to be the Katie/Billy chassis - no water gauge, lubricator drains to the side. (Surely Katie/Billy/Lady Ann/Fowler are due for a bit of a revamp in the boiler fittings department some time?)
Richard Huss
in sunny Solihull

Driver
Driver

Post by 90733 » Mon Aug 01, 2011 12:21 pm

Very nice, the style is very british :D
Thanks
Jack

dougrail
Driver
Driver

Post by dougrail » Mon Aug 01, 2011 1:28 pm

Definitely liking these indeed. Very powerful looking.

My cynicism is well-exercised however at a £183 tender...!

andysleigh
Driver
Driver

Post by andysleigh » Mon Aug 01, 2011 2:35 pm

hmm more lady annes

williamfj
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by williamfj » Mon Aug 01, 2011 2:45 pm

Am I the only one who thinks that they look better than the standard Lady Anne?

Marquis DeCarabas
Fireman
Fireman

Post by Marquis DeCarabas » Mon Aug 01, 2011 4:04 pm

Must admit, I don't especially like the looks of the cab back [1] - I hope that an alternative could be offered in the future with either a full backsheet or a full back with spectacles - there were not that many many British engines of that size with open backs.

[1] Looks rather like the Winterthur engines on the Snowdon - suppose you could make a hinged back for the looks.
De Carabas

At the service of angelislington

MuzTrem
Driver
Driver

Post by MuzTrem » Mon Aug 01, 2011 5:46 pm

I'm sorry to say that personally, I don't like them. They're a bit plain and boxy, the shape of the side tanks is rather odd to my eye, and I have to agree that I'm not keen on the tender - they might have done better to re-use the old Linda tender IMHO. The positioning of the dome is a bit odd, too - it would have looked better a little further forward. Oh, and I also think the smokebox is disproportionately large.

Still, I wouldn't have the money to buy them anyway, so it's all academic...

SLRmidge
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by SLRmidge » Mon Aug 01, 2011 5:55 pm

Quite nice, but like MuzTrem, I think the dome would look better further forward.
Ian of the SLR(N)

Sir Clothem Cap
Driver
Driver

Post by Sir Clothem Cap » Mon Aug 01, 2011 7:04 pm

Mildred in green looks very GWR

Gone Wrong Railway? :D

Sir haydn
Driver
Driver

Post by Sir haydn » Mon Aug 01, 2011 8:15 pm

I think Roundhouse have got it right. They are very workman like tank engines using alot of roundhouses existing parts (billy chassis, billy cab etch, lady anne smokebox, im guessing a carrie boiler) This adds another few freelance locos to the range and more variety to the range. Look forward to seeing them on a garden line soon!

TonyW
Driver
Driver

Post by TonyW » Mon Aug 01, 2011 11:35 pm

Sir haydn:57010 wrote:I think Roundhouse have got it right.
Absolutely!
Tony Willmore
Rhos Helyg Locomotive Works: http://www.rhoshelyg.me.uk
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/RhosHelygLocoWorks

Matt
Driver
Driver

Post by Matt » Tue Aug 02, 2011 1:46 am

oh dear, I'm now torn between saving up for an accucraft lew, or one of these. lew will probably be nicer, but these are more practical.
Garden Railways-best hobby in the world.

hussra
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by hussra » Tue Aug 02, 2011 9:24 am

Yup, I think this is going to appeal to a good number, besides being an economical build with existing parts. A real step up from a Millie but noticeably different to Lady Ann.

My hesitation is over the cab back - I don't mind the upper part being open (reminds me of British Aluminium Larne No. 1 "Tyrone", the loco I had my first cab ride on aged 3!) but for me it would need the lower central section. Shouldn't be too tricky to create something removable.
Sir haydn:57010 wrote:using alot of roundhouses existing parts (billy chassis, billy cab etch, lady anne smokebox, im guessing a carrie boiler)
Looks to me like the Katie boiler rather than the Carrie one - no gauge glass, no boiler topup, lubricator drain at side in cab opening rather than below footplate.
Richard Huss
in sunny Solihull

taliesin
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by taliesin » Tue Aug 02, 2011 9:48 am

It does show that Roundhouse are at least thinking, we live in a period where cash is for many somewhat tight at the moment. By juggling existing components around they have produced two new models with minimal development costs therefore offering variation without raising the price. Some will like them, some will not, thats down to personal taste but Roundhouse should be applauded for bringing these to the market, i do wonder though if it means one or two others will be dropped? some of them have been around a long time now and have perhaps reached a natural end, best regards, Rob

Sir haydn
Driver
Driver

Post by Sir haydn » Tue Aug 02, 2011 10:00 am

hussra:57033 wrote:
Yup, I think this is going to appeal to a good number, besides being an economical build with existing parts. A real step up from a Millie but noticeably different to Lady Ann.

My hesitation is over the cab back - I don't mind the upper part being open (reminds me of British Aluminium Larne No. 1 "Tyrone", the loco I had my first cab ride on aged 3!) but for me it would need the lower central section. Shouldn't be too tricky to create something removable.
Sir haydn:57010 wrote:using alot of roundhouses existing parts (billy chassis, billy cab etch, lady anne smokebox, im guessing a carrie boiler)
Looks to me like the Katie boiler rather than the Carrie one - no gauge glass, no boiler topup, lubricator drain at side in cab opening rather than below footplate.
Good point richard but I was looking at the safety valve positioning

dougrail
Driver
Driver

Post by dougrail » Tue Aug 02, 2011 11:05 am

'Without raising prices'?

Millie/Bertie - £575
George/Mildred - £1130 or 1313.

Still way too expensive gents. In short, you could get a s/h working car for that price. :/

taliesin
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by taliesin » Tue Aug 02, 2011 11:17 am

They are not built onto the Millie\Bertie range, they are built with items from the classic range, therefore the prices are comparable with the existing Katie, Billy etc. One could get an extremely nice s\h car for the price of the high end loco's, or a nice shiny new bicycle for the price of a Mamod!! but still the orders come. cheers Rob

Driver
Driver

Post by 90733 » Tue Aug 02, 2011 11:19 am

By always comparing items such as these to cars extra no one would ever buy them, buying one is a invesment, like a car :D
I think there brillint looking locos
Thanks
Jack

-steves-
Administrator
Administrator

Post by -steves- » Tue Aug 02, 2011 11:33 am

i think you just have to accept these things are luxury items and will cost what they cost, the demand is not massive and as such the price will always be high.

Besides, its cheap compared to some hobbies that are about :D

Not bad looking engines these two, but i think I would rather have some others before these. :D

DolwyddelanLightRail
Driver
Driver

Post by DolwyddelanLightRail » Tue Aug 02, 2011 12:07 pm

Trust them to bring out a loco that personally looks as good as the Lady Anne and also more suited to my line..... :lol: even though If I did have the choice between that or a Lady Anne, I think I would still take the Lady Anne!