mss

A very popular starting point for Live Steam. With their low cost comes a number of problems which can be discussed here
Chris Cairns
Driver
Driver

Post by Chris Cairns » Sat May 31, 2008 10:36 am

Surely the reverser will line up though due to the bolts that go in?
It is a common problem with Quality Control that these holes do not align properly, and have been various sizes over the years with the old style Mamods. I cannot comment on an MSS, but recent experience with an MSS spare part bought from Dream Steam tells me that they have similar Quality Control issues as well. It happened with the cylinder back plates as well, where the hole in the cylinder would not line up with the 2 holes in the back plate, leading to a loco that would never run. The screws are only used to secure the valve body to the chassis frame, but there is enough slack to have one of your steam/exhaust holes partly blocked.

The securing screw cannot leak steam as it screws into the middle of the rotating valve body - the steam/exhaust flow through the cut outs in this rotating valve. A recommended modification is to add a 2nd spring, using a washer to space it from the other spring on this screw, which will increase the force holding the rotating valve to the body & hopefully make a more steam tight seal. It is impossible to completely stop steam leaking from this valve, but by lapping the surfaces & adding a 2nd spring you will reduce it to a minimum.

I got my oil resistant gasket paper off ebay - http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Flexoid-oil-resis ... dZViewItem

The idea actually came from my IP Jane as it has these gaskets fitted. If you do not want to spend £5, then PM me your address & I send you 2 pieces from my stock (will be a delay in posting as I'm currently working Mon - Fri away from home/internet access).

SillyBilly
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by SillyBilly » Sat May 31, 2008 10:42 am

Thanks Chris, I have friend's mamod which i need to get running and this may be the problem with it.

Chris Cairns
Driver
Driver

Post by Chris Cairns » Sat May 31, 2008 10:52 am

Easiest way to fault find is to take one piston off the con rod, and turn the cylinder sideways (piston down) exposing the steam holes in the cylinder back plate. Open the regulator and steam should exit one of the holes (which one depends on direction), and if the other cylinder is OK then the wheels should turn under steam.

This has been an issue with 2 of my SL1Ks, and seems to happen with Mamods that were poorly made in the Slough factory (1985 - 1989, when production of the Railway System ceased). It looks like this was the period for those faulty reverser/regulator valves as well.