A weighty question

Do you have a problem? Here is the place to appeal for help
robc_wa
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

A weighty question

Post by robc_wa » Fri Jun 10, 2011 1:13 am

Hi. First post here, hope this is the right section! I am assessing the possibilities for starting a garden railway and suppose that getting some track would be a good start. Trouble is I am in Perth Western Australia, which is a bit isolated. Mail order from the UK is a possible route but with SM32 the weight could be a bit of a deterrent. Can anybody advise me on the weight of a box of 12 pieces of Peco SM32 flex track? The " online ordering" systems of the major retailers don’t pick up the fact that a box of flex track will be larger than the combined length and width restrictions for Small Packet air mail and will have to be sent by Parcel Force.

Would appreciate any info, even weight of one length would be a starting point!

Rob

TonyW
Driver
Driver

Post by TonyW » Fri Jun 10, 2011 9:24 am

Tony Willmore
Rhos Helyg Locomotive Works: http://www.rhoshelyg.me.uk
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/RhosHelygLocoWorks

robc_wa
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

!

Post by robc_wa » Fri Jun 10, 2011 10:31 am

Thanks Tony, just what I was wanting!

Regards

Rob

GTB
Driver
Driver

Re: A weighty question

Post by GTB » Fri Jun 10, 2011 3:26 pm

Rob,

A box of SM32 Peco track is probably 3kg packed. ParcelForce charge like a wounded bull and the postage will at least double the UK price. Even with the current exchange rate (and no VAT) advantage, it will be about the same as the Aust. retail price by the time it arrives.

Have you checked Perth Hobby Centre, or Stanbridge's, to see what sort of deal they can do for a box? When I was looking for Peco HO track a couple of years ago, PHC were the cheapest around and it took some persuasion for my local shop to match his price.

Even if the Perth shops don't stock it, they can get it and the cost/risk of getting it from the Eastern States distributor will be their problem, not yours.

Regards,
Graeme
robc_wa:54725 wrote:Trouble is I am in Perth Western Australia, which is a bit isolated.    Mail order from the UK is a possible route but with SM32 the weight could be a bit of a deterrent.

Keith S
Driver
Driver

Post by Keith S » Wed Jun 15, 2011 7:35 am

It might be worth your while to look at Sunset Valley rail in the U.S.A., they offer aluminum rail that is much lighter and less expensive than the nickel steel or brass ones, which they also make. I have some of their rail and it is just fine for running steam engines. I think if you want to run electric powered locomotives with track power, it might not be as good but steam engines certainly won't care. The aluminum rail will cost less for shipping. The guy who runs Sunset Valley seems like a nice fellow. I'm happy with my track. I don't know how postage from the U.S.A. compares to postage from England if you live in Australia.

robc_wa
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by robc_wa » Wed Jun 15, 2011 11:20 am

GTB:54739 wrote:Rob,
…Have you checked Perth Hobby Centre, or Stanbridge's, to see what sort of deal they can do for a box?
Graeme, thanks , good idea. Better give the local bloke a chance. Lots of Aussie retailers are whinging about everbody buying from
overseas 'cos of the high $. I'll see if they can compete.

Keith S:54866 wrote:It might be worth your while to look at Sunset Valley rail in the U.S.A., they offer aluminum rail
Keith, thanks for the suggestion. SSVR have a distributor in Melbourne but being 6' long means the track still costs a fair bit to ship.
Not too sure about ally track either, Not currently planing in track powered electrics, but wouldn't like to rule it out.
Have heard that Ally oxide conducts better than Brass oxides but don't know about relative to Nickel Silver tarnish - Any one know?

Regards

Rob

PS how do I get one of those "Apprentice cleaner's rag oiler's mate" label things? Do I need an avatar first?

GTB
Driver
Driver

Post by GTB » Wed Jun 15, 2011 12:37 pm

robc_wa:54870 wrote: Have heard that Ally oxide conducts better than Brass oxides but don't know about relative to Nickel Silver tarnish - Any one know?
Aluminium metal is a good conductor, almost as good as copper, better than brass and a lot better than nickel silver. However, aluminium oxide is one of the best insulators known, so I wouldn't rely on aluminium rail for track power on a garden railway.

The rail metal is only part of the weight, but Ozpost won't accept a 6' parcel anyway, so you are talking couriers for delivery of Sunset Valley track.

The aluminium rail track is about half the price of the equivalent brass, NS, or SS track, so is attractive on that basis, if you don't need track power. Argyle are asking A$28 for a 6' length of Sunset Valley aluminium SM32 track, compared to Stanbridge's price of A$22 for a 3' length of Peco SM32.

Regards,
Graeme