Merlin rides again

What is your latest project?
Mr ACME
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Merlin rides again

Post by Mr ACME » Wed Jun 08, 2011 8:13 pm

Hello All

Delivered my latest rebuild to a customer today. i returned his aged Merlin Mayflower, which was received by me as a forlorn looking box of bits and returned, dare one say, better than new. Taken some time but we finally got there.

Thanks to Simon Whenmouth who helped out with new cylinders, pistons, valve chests and ,"O'" rings.

Overall what's left of the original? Not a lot. Bit like the man who when asked about his hammer replied,"Well I've had this hammer twenty five years and it's only had three new heads and four new shafts.

You may like to see the engine in action at

http://youtu.be/X2aeWVJFk_0

Best

Mike Ousby

Best

Mike Ousby

Mr ACME
email: sales@acmesteam.co.uk
www.acmesteam.co.uk

The original Accucraft service person, working closely with them since 2001.

TonyW
Driver
Driver

Post by TonyW » Wed Jun 08, 2011 11:39 pm

Well done Mike, you are a braver man than I!
Tony Willmore
Rhos Helyg Locomotive Works: http://www.rhoshelyg.me.uk
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/RhosHelygLocoWorks

Pendo Pilot
Driver
Driver

Post by Pendo Pilot » Thu Jun 09, 2011 1:13 am

I do love the look of these loco's, but the scare stories about them...well as Tony said.
Tommy Dodd may have an ARS key but I have a TASS button & a Rope Ladder, just like pirates, except the TASS button bit.

taliesin
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by taliesin » Thu Jun 09, 2011 10:34 am

Looking good Mike, were the works plates on the engine already or did you supply them? i would love a set like that, cheers Rob

taliesin
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by taliesin » Thu Jun 09, 2011 10:37 am

Pendo Pilot:54682 wrote:I do love the look of these loco's, but the scare stories about them...well as Tony said.
Merlin's build quality was erm, variable, particularly towards the end, but there are enhanced parts out there and a sorted one is a complete joy, regards Rob

LMS-Jools
Driver
Driver

Post by LMS-Jools » Thu Jun 09, 2011 5:50 pm

Thats a good plume of steam :D

Mr ACME
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by Mr ACME » Sat Jun 11, 2011 12:19 am

taliesin:54687 wrote:
Pendo Pilot:54682 wrote:I do love the look of these loco's, but the scare stories about them...well as Tony said.
Merlin's build quality was erm, variable, particularly towards the end, but there are enhanced parts out there and a sorted one is a complete joy, regards Rob
The only parts I know as being available are replacement cylinders, pistons and valve chests from Simon Whenmouth, which is why I mentioned him in my original post.

Refurbishing and re manufacturing  valve gear parts as well as burner, gas tank, pipework, axles and bushes, bodywork repairs and really everything else had to be done in house.

The nameplates came with the engine.

Quality of manufacture of the engine was abysmal and really what the customer has is a brand new engine.

The person I did the work for is a fellow member of our group and a friend. To carry out the same level of work for somebody else would be extremely expensive.

Mike Ousby :D :D :D :D :D :D
Best

Mike Ousby

Mr ACME
email: sales@acmesteam.co.uk
www.acmesteam.co.uk

The original Accucraft service person, working closely with them since 2001.

taliesin
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by taliesin » Sat Jun 11, 2011 11:46 am

Hi Mike, Milton Locomotive works do supply wheel bearings, and also can modify the burner. Simon does have crank pins, and also plans to have new sets of valve gear made, the drawings are prepared, but i don't think he has had it done yet. Pearse can supply some parts which fit with little or no modification (if you can actually contact them).
If parts such as gas tanks are missing it is more difficult, either make a new one or adapt another.
Can't disagree about the labour costs, wish i could pay me self for the hours spent fiddling with my Merlin's :D :D
All the best, Rob - "as sure as sunrise !"