Fitting an IP Eng Lubricator to an old style Mamod or an MSS

A very popular starting point for Live Steam. With their low cost comes a number of problems which can be discussed here
Chris Cairns
Driver
Driver

Fitting an IP Eng Lubricator to an old style Mamod or an MSS

Post by Chris Cairns » Wed May 14, 2008 6:13 pm

As I'm fitting one of these lubricators to an SL1K, together with the 'O' ring pistons, then here is a fully illustrated guide to fitting one of these lubricators.

Firstly the lubricators came pre-bent, but they still require further bending to fit properly.

It is a pity that they were not supplied fully bent, but maybe that's something for Dream Steam to consider. It needs to be bent again just at the bottom of the first bend, so that it will go through the cut out in the chassis frame at the front of the combustion chamber, and then further bent to align the T piece with the steam in port on the regulator/reverser valve. By removing the wheels, steam pipe & 1 chassis frame from an incomplete SL3, you can see this clearer.

Here is what the final shape of the lubricator looks like.

The steam pipe will need shortening by about 22mm (shortened pipe uppermost).

And here is how this shortened pipe & lubricator fit.

The T piece portion of the lubricator can foul the cylinder pivot screw and the regulator/reverser valve pivot screw as well.

In this photo my regulator pivot screw has been modified with the addition of a 2nd spring & washers.

So some filing down of the T piece in these areas should ensure no interference with these pivot screws.

I would also recommend soldering up the steam pipe into the T piece to prevent another possible source of steam leaks.

What you are not told in the instructions, and I only found out from advice from another Yahoo group, is that you need to prime the steam pipe coming into the lubricator with steam oil.

In use I've found that these lubricators do not use much oil, compared to the Roundhouse lubricator that other owners fit, but as it is operating at a lower pressure this low rate of oil seems to be enough. Only long term experience will tell.

Thanks for looking. I trust it may be useful to you, and please feel free to post any further observations or questions about these lubricators.

Chris Cairns.
Last edited by Chris Cairns on Mon Jun 04, 2012 11:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ACLR
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by ACLR » Wed May 14, 2008 8:40 pm

yet another very informative posting Chris keep up the great work mate :D

SillyBilly
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by SillyBilly » Wed May 14, 2008 10:04 pm

Well said Graham.

Chris Cairns
Driver
Driver

Post by Chris Cairns » Fri May 16, 2008 2:08 pm

With recent experience, my opinion of these lubricators has changed significantly.

I first started using the inline lubricator like the Roundhouse lubricator on my Cheddar Models marine engines, and my IP Jane. These tended to use up all of their oil in one boiler full of water, and left a significant deposit of water to be removed at the end of a run.

My first IP Eng lubricator used virtually no oil at all, and I was convinced at the time that this was due to the smaller size of the pipe coming into the lubricator body. However, after being advised to prime the steam pipe with oil (I use my syringe for this when filling up the lubricator), I got it to work.

I've just completed a continuous in steam run on my SL1K with the 2nd of these lubricators. This was for 5 fills of the boiler & meths burner, stopping the engine for each refill, and cleaning the piston rods of oil each time. At the end of these runs the piston rods still had a light coating of oil. However it has been very difficult to empty any water that has ended up in the lubricator, probably because there is actually very little produced.

So I'm pleased with this outcome, particularly as I have another Mamod which has been modified with the similar Mike Chaney lubricator, en-route from ebay.