'OPERATION CUTBACK'

What is your latest project?
Tom
Fireman
Fireman

'OPERATION CUTBACK'

Post by Tom » Sat Apr 16, 2011 1:17 pm

Now, before you all get worried, the H.W.L.R hasn't been hit by the government budget cuts or anything like that :D

A plan has been drawn up for a P Way vehicle which, will hopefully, in the future be a part of a fleet. Now this vehicles role is simple, it will be a line-side vegetation cutter, used for keeping the banks and hedges along the line clean and tidy. I think i've been clever in the way I have designed the vehicle and it will hopefully lead to something else which will be discussed as and when it goes ahead.

Now, heres the idea:

I'm thinking of using an I.P. Rapier Kit, to provide the cab, chassis and motive power for the vehicle, now I know the length is a problem as it doesn't leave me with enough space, but this can be easily solved by adding to its length until the size needed is achieved. The engine compartment is to be made smaller but this can be seen when the build commences. A model hedge cutter attachment will sit on the rear with other assorted items for detailing being added to the vehicle. Most of the parts needed have been ordered and have arrived, but I just need to send off for the main part of the Project, the Rapier Kit.

Heres the Hedge Cutter attachment I will be using, it cost a mere £4.99, the arm has 180 degree movement and has a good reach too, with the cutter itself having a 180 degree arc of movement:

Keep posted for the next installment :D
Cheers Tom

Mrs F Controller
Fireman
Fireman

Re: 'OPERATION CUTBACK'

Post by Mrs F Controller » Sun Apr 17, 2011 12:11 am

Tom:52224 wrote:Now, before you all get worried, the H.W.L.R hasn't been hit by the government budget cuts or anything like that  :D

.... Now this vehicles role is simple, it will be a line-side vegetation cutter, used for keeping the banks and hedges along the line clean and tidy.......

Keep posted for the next installment  :D
Well, I thought I'd pass on a concern of the MPLR Reserve Manager Mr Bill Goodie, he is rather worried about you cutting away at the hedges and banks during the spring nesting time. The birds have enough problems as it is without having their nests ripped apart by a hedge cutter! But by the sounds of it, it won't be ready until after they've finished anyway! ;)

Tom
Fireman
Fireman

Post by Tom » Sun Apr 17, 2011 2:49 pm

Well, I thought I'd pass on a concern of the MPLR Reserve Manager Mr Bill Goodie, he is rather worried about you cutting away at the hedges and banks during the spring nesting time. The birds have enough problems as it is without having their nests ripped apart by a hedge cutter! But by the sounds of it, it won't be ready until after they've finished anyway!
Haha, I wouldnt worry :D I imagine it will be at least 3-4 weeks yet at the earliest before it will be running
Cheers Tom

Sammmm
Fireman
Fireman

Post by Sammmm » Mon Apr 25, 2011 11:08 pm

heres a pic of the Talyllyns flail mower.

Although it derailed last week :( and slightly bent the brake linkages apparently but when i went and had a look they didnt look to bad lolhttp://www.flickr.com/photos/zabdiel/2784809156/
Ta,

Sam :)

Dude where's my car!!.....Dude get a life!...Get swift cover 8)

zabdiel
New User
New User

Post by zabdiel » Wed Apr 27, 2011 10:27 am

I took the TR mower picture linked to by Sam and spotted this thread in my Flickr stats, so I came over to have a look.

Nice looking mower Tom.

Here's the image embedded in a post:

Talyllyn Flail Mower by zabdiel, on Flickr

Tom
Fireman
Fireman

Post by Tom » Thu May 05, 2011 4:58 pm

Hi All,

Thanks Sam for the Info and thanks to Zabdiel for taking the photo.

The project hasnt really moved along at all recently due to the lines spare money going towards a new loco. However word spread quick around the other lines in the area that the HWLR now had a hedge cutter attachment. We have been inundated with requests for contract work, and this will start to rake in some extra cash for the line. SKYE stood up to the mark for the contract work and has been kitted out with a new toy, but this is only temporary until a proper vehicle is brought.

Right so here is how it was done:

It only took me about 10 mins to make it with the parts I had found and about 20 to think up how I could do it with the pile of spare parts in front of me.

Its made out of 3 IP Ezee range buffers and the 2 seats from an Ezee Coach, and the 2 couplers from the above buffers and another longer piece of brass rod.

Now for the pics:

I still need to make a small wieghts box for the back, as you can probably guess its now top heavy at the front so that can be sorted out with the other half of the ezee buffer that I have left.

Thats all for now  :D
Cheers Tom

LMS-Jools
Driver
Driver

Post by LMS-Jools » Thu May 05, 2011 5:58 pm

Nice :D :D 8)

Pendo Pilot
Driver
Driver

Post by Pendo Pilot » Thu May 05, 2011 6:50 pm

An excellent workround, looks good & should even aid tractive effort. Well so long as it doesnt strip the gears..
:D
Tommy Dodd may have an ARS key but I have a TASS button & a Rope Ladder, just like pirates, except the TASS button bit.

Tom
Fireman
Fireman

Post by Tom » Thu May 05, 2011 6:59 pm

Haha cheers you two :D

well Shane, I'm actually starting to like it as it is, and I suppose thats a good thing as it will save me money, I can detail what I've got there and spruce it up a bit and just have an attachment for it instead of something bigger dedicated to the role it.

And gear stripping wise the plastic ones are nice and cheap so that doesnt matter too much even if it only gets a few runs per gear/worm.
Cheers Tom

Narrow Minded
Driver
Driver

Post by Narrow Minded » Thu May 05, 2011 8:51 pm

And gear stripping wise the plastic ones are nice and cheap so that doesnt matter too much even if it only gets a few runs per gear/worm.
;) Wonder how many changes of sets it'd take for you to retract that statement?? 8)

Tom
Fireman
Fireman

Post by Tom » Thu May 05, 2011 8:54 pm

Wonder how many changes of sets it'd take for you to retract that statement?? 8)
Probably not that many, but it only gets run once a month at the moment and its only for around 15-20mins if that! :D
Cheers Tom