Elmdon Heath Light Railway (was EHLR: A small start)

A place for the discussion of garden railways and any garden style/scale portable and/or indoor layouts
hussra
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by hussra » Sat Oct 19, 2013 10:14 pm

Peter Butler:90698 wrote:The bridge over 'troubled waters' looks good and seems to handle traffic without any problems.
Yes, the fence (a.k.a. anti-Mamod device) has yet to be tested in anger! This section has been fine so far, though the tricky cutting just round the corner, next to the hedge, proved a popular spot for running out of gas.
Richard Huss
in sunny Solihull

IrishPeter
Driver
Driver

Post by IrishPeter » Sun Oct 20, 2013 3:19 pm

hussra:90695 wrote:
IrishPeter:90667 wrote:Richard,

Have you seen www.huntleyarchives.com film 503?  It contains scenes of shunting at Tooban Jct as well as some other Irish NG footage.
Yes, brilliant stuff - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r9fHocB3_Fw with the Tooban stuff at about 1:46. My best guess is that they're swapping wagons between the Letterkenny and Buncrana lines, to avoid 'em having to go to Bridge End and get horrendously snarled up with everything awaiting customs examination. Wouldn't have thought of that when Tooban was rebuilt, as there was no border back then...

Looking forward to the next visit to Dún na nGall, sadly looks like I won't be able to make it to Raphoe next month for the installation of the new Archdeacon.
laalratty:90694 wrote:Nice little video, weather looks rather reminiscent of opening day of my line 6 years ago!
Glad you enjoyed it - we had a great time in spite of the weather. Really useful to have identified a few little tweaks that are needed. Then onwards with the extension...
That's what I assumed too. I would have thought that to maintain some liquidity when it come to traffic movement, it would have been very desirable to keep as much internal traffic out of Bridgend as possible.

At least they did not have to get a rope to it, or fly shunt whilst the camera was running!

IIRC, the box at Tooban Jct had a fairly basic Railway Signalling Co installation dating from gauge conversion or shortly thereafter. I would imagine there was a lot of scope for hand signals (flagging if someone was looking!) whilst doing that which was not originally contemplated.

FWIW, my line now has its shunting puzzle - the yet to be laid exchange sidings have turned into a bit of a rat's nest due to lack of space!

Cheers,
Peter in AZ
Traffic Pattern? What pattern? Spuds out; grain in, but cattle, sheep and passengers are a lot less predictable.