He Lives

A very popular starting point for Live Steam. With their low cost comes a number of problems which can be discussed here
ACLR
Retired Director
Retired Director

He Lives

Post by ACLR » Sun May 11, 2008 11:12 pm

Ran mavin on the track on the weekend and took a vid of it
please excuse the quality of sound and picture as my vido camera has died and I used Jilly's small digital camer we purchased from Tescos
enjoy :D

Chris Cairns
Driver
Driver

Post by Chris Cairns » Sun May 11, 2008 11:25 pm

Great to see Marvin steaming again, although it was not a cheap fix!

Did you have much difficulty fitting the Dream Steam replacement boiler?

How have you routed the steam pipe from the lubricator to the reverser/regulator valve at the front?

I'm getting closer to putting my IP Jane/PPS Janet composite rebuild together, and hopefully getting a Roundhouse lubricator at the Merstham Steam Rally this Saturday. On my IP Jane the steam pipe goes down the side of the boiler tucked up into the combustion chamber, but I was wondering if it would be better to go down the middle of the boiler to get some sort of superheated steam instead. It will eventually be fitted with a gas burner (I have a horizontal tank, pipe & jet, just need to locate a gas burner at a reasonable price), but initially will probably be meths fired.

ACLR
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by ACLR » Sun May 11, 2008 11:42 pm

Chris I had to modify the back of the combustion chamber by cutting a slot in it to alow the botom of the sightglass connection to fit in. but mainly that was all I had to do.
I took a picture of the cab area and will post tonght when I get home from work. The steam pipe is routed along the side of the boiler . using the original pipe and roundhouse oiler.

yes an expensive exersise but personaly I think it is worth the effort as I have a nice running engine now an I think a lot more powerfull than the original :D

Chris Cairns
Driver
Driver

Post by Chris Cairns » Mon May 12, 2008 12:18 am

Thanks for the warning about the combustion chamber.

I'm currently repairing an old Mamod combustion chamber which I got from William, but I think it was OK with the PPS boiler. The advantage of the IP Jane/PPS Janet is there is no cab front getting in the way of these boilers. I had originally intended fitting this IP Jane bodywork to a Mamod, but it would have required the spectacle cab front being re-positioned, as it would foul the rear boiler insert. The safety valve & regulator take-off are mounted further back on the IP Jane/PPS Janet boiler & of course this boiler is also longer.

Look forward to seeing your photo for comparison.

ACLR
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by ACLR » Mon May 12, 2008 8:00 am

Chris here is a close look at the cab area
you can see where ive cut it away

Matt
Driver
Driver

Post by Matt » Mon May 12, 2008 12:39 pm

Looks really good!
Garden Railways-best hobby in the world.