Getting a train together, Diesel and Steam!

What is your latest project?
williamfj
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by williamfj » Fri Jun 03, 2011 10:09 pm

That looks great, well done!

taliesin001
Driver
Driver

Post by taliesin001 » Fri Jun 03, 2011 10:14 pm

agreed looks ecxellent. theres never any harm in a few rivets here and there! :D

Tom
Fireman
Fireman

Post by Tom » Fri Jun 03, 2011 11:01 pm

Wow!! :shock: :D Thats come on alot since I last saw it, That bonnet looks great and helps make it not look so boxy, those hatches with the lourves and handles look smashing. The white window and radiator surrounds help to break up the green and the control panel looks great :D Oh and its nicely proportioned, you should be proud of that considering its your first? scratchbodge :lol:
Cheers Tom

Steven.T
Fireman
Fireman

Post by Steven.T » Fri Jun 03, 2011 11:12 pm

Thanks again for the comments everyone, much appreciated :D

Tom, the white surrounds will eventually be toned down with a metal-ish colour.
And yes, I am fairly proud of it, I will be even more so after Sunday if she runs okay! Also got the new radio System the other day (Planet T5) and she has been tested and works just fine :D

Hancockshire
Driver
Driver

Post by Hancockshire » Sat Jun 04, 2011 10:05 pm

It's beautiful. In fact, it's more than beautiful, it's lovely :lol:
That is a handsome looking diesel with a very nice control panel in it

mhlr
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by mhlr » Sun Jun 05, 2011 1:12 am

Nice work! Needs wasp stripes front n back! :lol:

Pendo Pilot
Driver
Driver

Post by Pendo Pilot » Sun Jun 05, 2011 1:35 am

I'm still ignoring you re the cow pat green comment!! Humpth!!
:twisted: :twisted:

(But yes wasp stripes would look good!)
:D
Tommy Dodd may have an ARS key but I have a TASS button & a Rope Ladder, just like pirates, except the TASS button bit.

Steven.T
Fireman
Fireman

Post by Steven.T » Sat Jun 18, 2011 10:24 pm

I don't think I'm swayed by the idea of wasp stripes...

But in other news;
We have lights!

And we now have a driver;

And some cab doors and loco number;

And the two I.P. freelance coaches have been assembled ready for running tomorrow, if the gears on the chassis hold out that is...

and the working tail lamp;

There is still some work to do on the coaches, paint the bufferbeams black, fix the roof's down (not permanently though), give the wood a teak sort of finish, and add the little details!
Thats all for now, I will update tomorrow if the new gears don't wear down anymore :|

Cheers,
Ste :)

LMS-Jools
Driver
Driver

Post by LMS-Jools » Sun Jun 19, 2011 9:00 am

Lookin to be a very nice little Train indeed. :D 8)

Steven.T
Fireman
Fireman

Post by Steven.T » Sun Jul 17, 2011 8:43 pm

Well as it was my 18th on Friday, unlike most Kids my age, I asked for an I.P. Guards van, and assembled it today!

I think I will paint it in the same grey as my home made wagon, just to match them together! I also have a working lamp to go on the back, and a little bloke from the ModelTown range to stand as Guard!

Also I got 6 sitting people to populate the coaches, after I glue the wheels back on, make a frame for the roof and detail the insides :lol:

In other news about the chassis, I received another set of gears from I.P. so will try these again, but I'm almost definitely going to buy an Essel chassis now, they look so much better!
Cheers,
Ste

Sylvian Tennant
Fireman
Fireman

Post by Sylvian Tennant » Tue Aug 30, 2011 6:02 pm

Top drawer man, you're going in the same direction as I would, with the IP engineering stuff.

You're also from Stockton as well!

Keep it up :)

Steven.T
Fireman
Fireman

Post by Steven.T » Tue Aug 30, 2011 6:11 pm

Thanks for the comments!

You have also reminded me I have now changed my chassis to the Essel one (which is much better, and only ~£20 more than the I.P. one!

It's a great runner now, the gears are solid, as is the whole chassis. The only problem is Essel use a 12-24v motor, whereas I.P was only 7.2v, so it's a bit slow at the moment, and 12v is the maximum my speed controller can take, doh!

Anyway, I will upload a video later (if I remember)!

IrishPeter
Driver
Driver

Post by IrishPeter » Tue Aug 30, 2011 7:05 pm

Being slow is a virtue in the narrow gauge world. Most of the diesel/petrol wee beasties are 12 mph flat out with a following wind. That scales to about 17m/minute in 16 milli, or about 1 foot/sec in real measurements. I have a hell of a time getting steamers to run that slowly!

Peter in AZ
Traffic Pattern? What pattern? Spuds out; grain in, but cattle, sheep and passengers are a lot less predictable.

Steven.T
Fireman
Fireman

Post by Steven.T » Tue Aug 30, 2011 7:37 pm

Don't get me wrong, it's a lovely scale speed, but on the club line where you have steamers doing what seems in excess of 125mph (scale, of course!) it means I have to keep pulling over to let them past, which gets a bit tedious after a while :lol:

IrishPeter
Driver
Driver

Post by IrishPeter » Tue Aug 30, 2011 7:54 pm

I do not understand the 'boy racers.' I have gotten my large cylinder 'Ruby' to run down to scale 25 mph (roughly 1.5 feet/sec in 1:24 scale) which fits my style of operation.  All it takes is well adjusted valve gear, a light hand on the regulator and a well adjusted driver.  Of the three requirements the last named seems to be the hardest to find ;) .

There is another consideration against high speeds on my  railway is that it is an 'end to end' job.  Racing speeds would only lead to a quick sprint down the garden dodging the low branches followed by the ceremony of extracting the locomotive from the sand drag at the bottom of the hill. Getting the muck and debris out of the motion is a task that can involve a stip down of the valve gear, so it is to be avoided at all costs.  Of course, a lot of these snags are avoidable with Radio control, but that is 'terra incognita' to me due to my (lack of) ability in that field.  Indeed, I am so good at blowing up electrical stuff you'd think I was an electrical enginer!

Peter in AZ
Traffic Pattern? What pattern? Spuds out; grain in, but cattle, sheep and passengers are a lot less predictable.

Dr. Bond of the DVLR
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by Dr. Bond of the DVLR » Tue Aug 30, 2011 9:26 pm

Totally with you on the speed thing, I was instructed to take my regner Vincent off after its first lap of the club track at IMES. It did take 15 minuets but I still think its a little unfair...
The railway which people forgot
(to build)

taliesin001
Driver
Driver

Post by taliesin001 » Tue Aug 30, 2011 10:24 pm

I also cannot see the interest in going flat out as my grandad is an engineer he takes great care with locos to ensure they can run very slowly and I am pleased to say I have not seen many locos that will maintain such slow speeds. It takes a lot of fiddling thogh to get them perfect! Mr bond, I think you should have told them to take they're fast running locos off! In my view you were in the right :D

IrishPeter
Driver
Driver

Post by IrishPeter » Tue Aug 30, 2011 10:52 pm

I am not all that precise, but the rule of thumb on my line is that a steam locomotive has to be able to smoothly haul twice its own weight up a 1 in 30 gradient at something close to scale speed. If a locomotive does not meet these modest requirements then she gets tinkered with until she is right.

I am also frugal about how much gas and water are used. When trains are southbound, the burner is turned right down as the gradient will do the work one the loco has got things rolling. The aim on my line is to get the up and down journeys as close to a 20 mph average as possible, so a little under three minutes for 200' of mainline is the target.

Peter in AZ

Steven.T
Fireman
Fireman

Post by Steven.T » Wed Aug 31, 2011 10:13 pm

I just sort of want that extra 'oomph', just as for reasons I said earlier.
Don't get me wrong, If the track is quiet, I will slow down and take it steady!

So I've just ordered a 12v NiMH battery which will fit in the loco nicely, and hopefully it will be running again at York SME's running day on Sunday!

Funny thing is, the 12v battery is smaller than the 7.2v one!

Ste

Steven.T
Fireman
Fireman

Post by Steven.T » Thu Sep 01, 2011 8:33 pm

Well, heres the video I promised, it actually looks faster in the video than in real-life!

<object width="420" height="345"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/fkaWcJmRgEk?ve ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/fkaWcJmRgEk?version=3&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="420" height="345" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

Also, the battery has arrived, and is a very nice fit inside the body!
Will give another update after Sunday!
Cheers,
Ste