NG Traverser..

Do you have a problem? Here is the place to appeal for help
Pendo Pilot
Driver
Driver

NG Traverser..

Post by Pendo Pilot » Thu Feb 17, 2011 5:59 pm

Looking at what will become my first MPD. Was going to have a turntable but to get it long enough to take the fowler it will end up a little cramped. So am now thinking about a traverser instead. I have no need to turn locos anyway & it fits in better.. Not that it matters but did any UK NG railways ever have such a thing?
Tommy Dodd may have an ARS key but I have a TASS button & a Rope Ladder, just like pirates, except the TASS button bit.

Narrow Minded
Driver
Driver

Post by Narrow Minded » Thu Feb 17, 2011 6:09 pm

Not sure about a prototype, but hey, "Rule 1" remember :D

If you haven't sorted a mechanism for the traverser yet, "Wilko" are doing a cheap'n'cheerful workmate type folding bench with a pair of worm drives :idea:

MDLR
Driver
Driver

Re: NG Traverser..

Post by MDLR » Thu Feb 17, 2011 7:51 pm

Pendo Pilot:48560 wrote:Not that it matters but did any UK NG railways ever have such a thing?

If it counts, there's one on the Fairbourne and there's also one at Crich............... and a really long one at Bombardier's Derby works!
Brian L Dominic
Managing Director
Flagg Fluorspar Co
www.mdlr.co.uk/ff.html

Dr. Bond of the DVLR
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by Dr. Bond of the DVLR » Thu Feb 17, 2011 9:26 pm

Windmill farm miniature railway have one as well.
The railway which people forgot
(to build)

Matt
Driver
Driver

Post by Matt » Thu Feb 17, 2011 10:13 pm

Stafold Barn has one I think, and the RHDR had one until they installed the present turntable.
Garden Railways-best hobby in the world.

Pendo Pilot
Driver
Driver

Post by Pendo Pilot » Thu Feb 17, 2011 10:17 pm

So plenty of newer lines then, not something historic though? Didn't think I had seen any old NG pics with them in.

Greg I will check out the workmate type thing, sounds like a good plan.
Tommy Dodd may have an ARS key but I have a TASS button & a Rope Ladder, just like pirates, except the TASS button bit.

Sammmm
Fireman
Fireman

Post by Sammmm » Thu Feb 17, 2011 10:23 pm

if you decide to go that route can you Post your progress's with it since i may have to build one too :)
Ta,

Sam :)

Dude where's my car!!.....Dude get a life!...Get swift cover 8)

TommyDodd
Fireman
Fireman

Post by TommyDodd » Wed Apr 06, 2011 8:26 pm

On narrow gauge (as opposed to miniature) railways the only one I can recall seeing in the flesh is at Jenbach, on the metre Achenseebahn rack line. It's short since it only needs to carry 040T locos.

Further afield, I know of one which if not British was almost certainly British built. It was 2'6" gauge and served the locomotive works at Pratapnagar, Baroda in India. Since the works served Western Railway lines on 5'6" and metre it may well have been mixed gauge but this isn't clear from the only photo I've seen.

Anyway, does it really matter if there's no UK precedent? If it's necessary and appropriate for you to put one in it's bound to look right- handsome is as handsome does.

EDIT: Found a pic! Another Indian railway workshop so possibly mixed gauge, but quite likely British built.

http://www.irfca.org/gallery/Steam/narr ... s.jpg.html