Some notes on making simple inexpensive battery chassis.

A place for discussing battery-electric locomotives, whether they're diesel, steam or even electric outline
Tony Bird
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by Tony Bird » Sat Feb 05, 2011 2:35 pm

Hi,

Somewhere on the forum I came across a thread about problems with gearboxes used on IPE electric chassis. Many years ago I bought one of Ivan's Large Chassis which had a cast white metal gearbox it ran for many many hours before it gave problems. It was replaced and is still working well. The one thing I wasn't too keen on was the way that the motor was suspended on a wire. So the motor was turned around so it was between the wheels and a frame stretcher with a hole in it was used to support it. When this gear box packs up I will replace it with a larger version of one that I have just made for a friend.
This chassis uses motor, gears, K&S brass sheet and tube which is available from Hobby or other suppliers. Wheels and axle are IPE 24mm wagon. The bearings Brandbright and the 20mm aluminium channel B&Q. Can be made with out the use of a lathe. Bearings could also be fitted to the aluminium channel but it has been found that the aluminium alone wears well. The axle hung motor is supported by a wire which fits loosely around the motor. A brass gear instead of a nylon one is being tried to see how well it works. Hobby brass gears have the same module as their nylon gears.
Came across above photographs while looking for something else might have posted them before.
Regards Tony

METHSSNIFFER
Driver
Driver

Post by METHSSNIFFER » Sat Feb 05, 2011 2:59 pm

Ive just motorised a slate wagon just the same!

hussra
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by hussra » Tue Apr 12, 2011 4:45 pm

Tony Bird:47211 wrote:Another aluminium channel chassis using a sprokets and chain to give 4WD
Tony Bird:47792 wrote:Image
I've been meaning to ask about the sprockets and chain you used - IP, or from somewhere else?

Thanks,

Richard
Richard Huss
in sunny Solihull

Tony Bird
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by Tony Bird » Wed Apr 13, 2011 8:54 am

Hi Richard,
I bought my sprocket/chain from Sharman Wheels many years ago. I think it is the same as IPE sell. American made by a company called Delrin I think.
Regards Tony.

hussra
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by hussra » Wed Apr 13, 2011 9:22 am

Thanks - name rings a bell. Google suggests that Karlgarin Models would be a place for me to enquire - looks like there's quite a range of sprocket sizes available.
Richard Huss
in sunny Solihull