Mamod mk2

Links to and discussion of garden railway video footage or videos of real railways which might inspire members with their modelling
Sir Clothem Cap
Driver
Driver

Mamod mk2

Post by Sir Clothem Cap » Sat Jan 15, 2011 5:26 pm

First run of this engine on a windy damp day. The second carrage didn't like the wind.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/hnMvqSwbH4g?hl ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/hnMvqSwbH4g?hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

MDLR
Driver
Driver

Post by MDLR » Sat Jan 15, 2011 6:19 pm

S'funny - I recognise that loco............................
Brian L Dominic
Managing Director
Flagg Fluorspar Co
www.mdlr.co.uk/ff.html

Sir Clothem Cap
Driver
Driver

Post by Sir Clothem Cap » Sat Jan 15, 2011 6:21 pm

Errol got renamed :D

mhlr
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by mhlr » Sat Jan 15, 2011 6:44 pm

Nice one, seems those new Mamods run very well. Looks like you could do with a lead weight stuck under those coaches!

Sir Clothem Cap
Driver
Driver

Post by Sir Clothem Cap » Sat Jan 15, 2011 6:46 pm

Yes extra weight would have been very useful I will find some to put in those coaches.

Hancockshire
Driver
Driver

Post by Hancockshire » Sat Jan 15, 2011 9:06 pm

When I was watching that vid. I knew that loco used to be Errol. It could be the multiheight couplings

made-in-england
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by made-in-england » Sat Jan 15, 2011 9:09 pm

Sir Clothem Cap:46763 wrote:Yes extra weight would have been very useful I will find some to put in those coaches.
used/dead AA batterys taped to the bottom of coaches work well.. :D
Passengers are reminded not to tease the engines

Hancockshire
Driver
Driver

Post by Hancockshire » Sat Jan 15, 2011 9:20 pm

made-in-england:46777 wrote:
Sir Clothem Cap:46763 wrote:Yes extra weight would have been very useful I will find some to put in those coaches.
used/dead AA batterys taped to the bottom of coaches work well.. :D
Do what I did with Pete (the simplex), get some steel balls from a magnetix set. They work really well

taliesin001
Driver
Driver

Post by taliesin001 » Sat Jan 15, 2011 9:23 pm

I cut up some strips of lead and stick them under using double sided tape. Don't know where to get it though, my granddad has a never ending roll!

Narrow Minded
Driver
Driver

Post by Narrow Minded » Sat Jan 15, 2011 10:22 pm

I still have some old offcuts of lead pipe I've been using for ages :D
However, if you're stuck for weights, try your local fishing tackle shop ;)  (Ledger weights and rod grip weights are both useful)

If you're using old batteries, don't forget to remove and dispose of them responsibly before they start leaking!!

Sir Clothem Cap
Driver
Driver

Post by Sir Clothem Cap » Wed Feb 02, 2011 4:29 pm

I can do responsible when ever any thing goes wrong they say "Bryans resonsible" :lol:

METHSSNIFFER
Driver
Driver

Post by METHSSNIFFER » Wed Mar 09, 2011 4:25 am

I understand local churches can offer good lead and watercompanies offer lead free services as well. I have tonnes of it

hussra
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by hussra » Wed Mar 09, 2011 7:49 am

Errrm, perhaps just a tad insensitive to those of us who have spent the last few years battling lead theft from local churches, rearranging buckets, praying that couples won't have their wedding days spoiled, and dealing with insurance companies and builders?

Our insurers are now indicating that they may no longer cover us for theft of external metals, and I am still waiting for the police to come and retrieve the steak knife the most recent bunch of hooligans used to cut the (plastic, not lead) flat roof before discovering it was worthless and disappearing leaving us with two more leaks.

Unfortunately there is absolutely nothing amusing about lead theft.
Richard Huss
in sunny Solihull

METHSSNIFFER
Driver
Driver

Post by METHSSNIFFER » Wed Mar 09, 2011 10:26 am

Yes its becoming a real pain the lengths these people go to, so much is the scrap price of metal these days. Especially when you hear of copper theft at sub stations and the like. My point was raised to highlight the problem not to support it.

hussra
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by hussra » Wed Mar 09, 2011 10:54 am

METHSSNIFFER:49932 wrote:My point was raised to highlight the problem not to support it.
Hi,

Thanks for that - good to hear. (Unfortunately I lost my sense of humour about metal theft somewhere around the 8th or 9th incident, for which my apologies.)

Best wishes,

Richard
Richard Huss
in sunny Solihull

Narrow Minded
Driver
Driver

Post by Narrow Minded » Wed Mar 09, 2011 11:00 am

An unfortunate and inconvenient knock on effect is that when we're returning from a gig (or driving to the next) in the early hours of the morning we're often stopped by the police.
"There's been a high value copper theft in the area and we've been instructed to stop and check all vans sir".
Of course, they don't just check to see what's in the van, but usually proceed to do a full check.......................

This used to be a regular occurence before the computerised "P.Checking" came into use which all but stopped it happening - it's back with a vengence now :roll:

METHSSNIFFER
Driver
Driver

Post by METHSSNIFFER » Thu Mar 10, 2011 12:18 am

Stopped by some copper for some copper

Keith S
Driver
Driver

Post by Keith S » Thu Mar 10, 2011 1:40 am

hussra:49928 wrote: Our insurers are now indicating that they may no longer cover us for theft of external metals,
Unfortunately there is absolutely nothing amusing about lead theft.
This post actually highlights the depredations of two classes of criminals who take what they haven't earned: the metals thieves and the insurance people. I don't suppose your coverage will be any cheaper once they reduce what they are willing to cover.

hussra
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by hussra » Thu Mar 10, 2011 7:27 am

Keith S:49985 wrote:This post actually highlights the depredations of two classes of criminals who take what they haven't earned: the metals thieves and the insurance people. I don't suppose your coverage will be any cheaper once they reduce what they are willing to cover.
The new premium remains to be seen but I suspect you will be right. There is still the building and contents to cover. There are one or two avenues we are pursuing (additional security precautions) after which cover for metal theft may be reinstated.

I can understand their reluctance to cover, given our recent claim history. I guess they do need to make money out of someone, and it's a few years since they have made any out of us. I would have said "they're not a charity" but actually they are, or rather are owned by one. We are looking into making a grant application to them (the Allchurches Trust, who own Ecclesiastical Insurance, and receive their profits) for help with some further security measures...
Richard Huss
in sunny Solihull