A test of a mini video camera from Aldi.

Links to and discussion of garden railway video footage or videos of real railways which might inspire members with their modelling
grumpfuttock
Fireman
Fireman

A test of a mini video camera from Aldi.

Post by grumpfuttock » Mon Dec 06, 2010 1:21 am

A few months ago Aldi supermarkets were selling an EnVivo mini video camera for the equivalent of £40. As it was rather cheap, I decided to get one, and see how it got on with garden railway videos. I eventually had an opportunity to try it out in November, at a steam up held at a gauge 1 garden railway in the north of Denmark, where we are welcome to run with our 16mm loco's and stock.

The weather was great, nice and sunny, but not so good for video due to sun glare. I was very impressed with the mini camera, which is slightly shorter in length than a standard cigarette lighter. The body of the camera is METAL... none of your cheapo plastic, even though it is made in China ! It has a snap on holder on the back of which is fitted a clip, which makes it easy to attach to objects, uhmm...the holder IS plastic :D

I attached the camera to my "Hercules" loco by simply clipping it through the spectacle hole in the front of the cab. It was very close to the boiler and safety valve, which made me wonder how it would stand up to the heat, steam and droplets of water. There were no problems, except the steam from the safety valve was being blown in front of the lens, thus occasionally giving the impression of scratchy video. I was very impressed with the sharpness of the video, which is recorded in .avi format. The camera came with a 2 Gb micro SD card, which was enough for the 20 minutes of video that I recorded that day. The camera can use a micro SD card up to 8 Gb. If anyone finds one of these mini video cameras and is tempted to buy it, I can thoroughly recommend it.

Anyway, enough of the blurb, the proof can be seen here....

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/3xVbj6G5cdc?fs ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/3xVbj6G5cdc?fs=1&hl=da_DK" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>
John.

"I am not an armchair modeller, I have a garden railway, so I am a deckchair modeller."

http://www.tumblydowncottage.dk

Pendo Pilot
Driver
Driver

Post by Pendo Pilot » Mon Dec 06, 2010 9:26 am

That works really well, for such a cheap price I'm quite amazed. Lovely line as well & your loco sounds in good form.
Tommy Dodd may have an ARS key but I have a TASS button & a Rope Ladder, just like pirates, except the TASS button bit.

LMS-Jools
Driver
Driver

Post by LMS-Jools » Mon Dec 06, 2010 6:13 pm

Excellent. 8)

bungle80a
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by bungle80a » Mon Dec 06, 2010 8:14 pm

Looks good. However, I dont recognise it as one of our (Aldi) products. Any chance of a photo of the camera to jog my memory!
Bungle80a

"Who has stolen the 3 link coupling off the end of my train?!?!

.....[a few minutes pass hunting down replacements].....

"So, which comedian has uncoupled my entire train?!?!"

laalratty
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by laalratty » Mon Dec 06, 2010 8:47 pm

That really is excellent. Hercules' do sound fantastic, I managed to get an on board on one (camera perched on the tender) on a 40 wagon train, the sound was fantastic.
"What the hell is that?"
"It's a model icebreaker sir."
"It's a bit big isn't it?"
"It's a full scale model sir....."

mhlr
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by mhlr » Mon Dec 06, 2010 11:42 pm

Wow, that's quite cool! I'll have to look out for one! I do have a miniature camera that works on 2.4GHz that you plug the receiver into a monitor (primarily a security cam.), but never got it working right - think it may be dodgy. But one of my friends mounted one in a gaurds compartment and put the monitor in the steam up bay... fun!

grumpfuttock
Fireman
Fireman

Post by grumpfuttock » Tue Dec 07, 2010 1:41 am

bungle80a:44896 wrote:Looks good. However, I dont recognise it as one of our (Aldi) products. Any chance of a photo of the camera to jog my memory!
Aldi in Denmark had it in their supermarkets, maybe the English branch didn't think it was worth while, or else it hasn't got to the UK yet !
I have just found the exact same camera listed on this site with pics and description......
http://www.freeyourmobile.biz/acatalog/ ... dgets.html
it is under the sunglasses, listed as "Micro Digital Video Camcorder FREE 2Gb Micro SD Card", and cheaper than I paid  :cry: .... only £24.99 on that site !
John.

"I am not an armchair modeller, I have a garden railway, so I am a deckchair modeller."

http://www.tumblydowncottage.dk

bungle80a
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by bungle80a » Tue Dec 21, 2010 3:01 pm

Recognise it now. Think they were sold over here as Snowboarding cameras!! Will be on the look out for that this year!! Will let people know when they are coming!!! I get advance notice!!!!
Bungle80a

"Who has stolen the 3 link coupling off the end of my train?!?!

.....[a few minutes pass hunting down replacements].....

"So, which comedian has uncoupled my entire train?!?!"