Discussion of Rolling Stock related topics should go here
Sir haydn
Driver
Driver

Ffestiniog Rolling stock

Post by Sir haydn » Fri Oct 29, 2010 7:48 pm

I was just looking at modern Ffestiniog carriages and came across this picture

Then saw this

I think with a little painting and modification it wouldnt look bad as an FfR coach

DolwyddelanLightRail
Driver
Driver

Post by DolwyddelanLightRail » Fri Oct 29, 2010 7:53 pm

I think that one was salvaged from Romania if that helps?

I may be wrong but it looks like it!

MDLR
Driver
Driver

Post by MDLR » Fri Oct 29, 2010 8:29 pm

I always reckoned that the DR bogie coaches that LGB did would have been OK for the MDLR, but couldn't find any at the right price when i was in the market...............
Brian L Dominic
Managing Director
Flagg Fluorspar Co
www.mdlr.co.uk/ff.html

laalratty
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by laalratty » Fri Oct 29, 2010 8:46 pm

I should point out (before Will gets the chance :lol: ) that the Romanian carriage Sir Hadyn showed was not a Ffestiniog carriage. It won't go through Rhiw Plas bridge let alone Garnedd Tunnel! The Romanian carriage was built for the Welsh Highland Railway...
"What the hell is that?"
"It's a model icebreaker sir."
"It's a bit big isn't it?"
"It's a full scale model sir....."

Sir haydn
Driver
Driver

Post by Sir haydn » Fri Oct 29, 2010 9:07 pm

Sorry did see it was a welsh highland coach, thought it may have also run on the FR, obviously not! still could make a decent pass off FR coach

SillyBilly
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by SillyBilly » Mon Nov 01, 2010 6:05 pm

NO! No FR coach is that un-asthetically pleasing, certainly would never pass for one!

Sir haydn
Driver
Driver

Post by Sir haydn » Mon Nov 01, 2010 7:55 pm

:roll:

Crackingjob
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by Crackingjob » Mon Nov 01, 2010 10:24 pm

I think there are 3 on ebay at the moment

MuzTrem
Driver
Driver

Post by MuzTrem » Mon Nov 01, 2010 11:05 pm

SillyBilly wrote:NO! No FR coach is that un-asthetically pleasing, certainly would never pass for one!
Have to differ with you on that one Will...never been that keen on most of the post-preservation FfR stock myself!

Well, alright, that's a little unfair. Some of the more modern FfR vehicles (esp. 110-121) look OK on their own but they just don't fit in at all with the FfR's heritage atmosphere. Features like aluminum panelling and bus windows are the biggest problems. The "barn" style coaches look infintely better alongside the heritage vehicles; the revival of this style in the last few years has a been a good move and I hope all future carriages will be follow this pattern.

Of course, on the WHR things are different...the NGG16s aren't authentic by any stretch of the imagination, so it matters less what stock they run with. In fact, I'd go so far as to say that 119 and 120 look OK now they're running with WHR stock this season!

SillyBilly
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by SillyBilly » Tue Nov 02, 2010 4:34 pm

Yes, the tin carrs aren't great, but they aren't as bad as the romanian stuff. Barn carrs are what I was reffering to, an attractive design with all the functions required. The new super saloon is a really comfy vehicle to ride in, allthough it's a shame the WHR-esque door indents have had to be incoroporated.

Narrow Minded
Driver
Driver

Post by Narrow Minded » Tue Nov 02, 2010 6:28 pm

I think a point might have been missed here, - I agree that (for anyone not rivet counting) the ZB coaches that Sir Haydn's illustrated would make a quick and easy conversion to represent the prototype shown above it (WHOEVER it belongs to) :D

D'ya know, I used to really wonder what all the FR / WHR "conflict" was all about. I'm getting a pretty good idea now ;)