my mss

A very popular starting point for Live Steam. With their low cost comes a number of problems which can be discussed here
andysleigh
Driver
Driver

my mss

Post by andysleigh » Tue Mar 18, 2008 9:50 pm

well, id ont know what to do.

she doesnt go very well/ at all ever since i glued the wheels back on, i looked at my mamod for the quartering, but she wont move.

does she need an overhaul?
or what

she needs a good clean and paint. and sorting out...

Spule 4
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Re: my mss

Post by Spule 4 » Tue Mar 18, 2008 9:53 pm

andysleigh wrote:well, id ont know what to do.

she doesnt go very well/ at all ever since i glued the wheels back on, i looked at my mamod for the quartering, but she wont move.  

does she need an overhaul?
or what

she needs a good clean and paint. and sorting out...
Could be a few things, first, pop off the cylinders and see if it moves with the connecting rods only on a strait bit of track without problems. Look for binds.

When you say "glued the wheels on" were they loose from the axel where they are "stamped"?

If the answers to the above are "yes", it may be best to get a replacement set from PPS or IP, but even my PPS wheels had one work loose and I had to re-bond it with Loctite.
Garrett

"Some say that Mamods have problems.  Whatever. I view them as opportunities for improvement."

SillyBilly
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by SillyBilly » Tue Mar 18, 2008 10:28 pm

Andy, how many times need I tell you, buy a new set of proper wheels it'll be money well spent. Hey look, Stoneleigh's in just over a week, treat yourself.

andysleigh
Driver
Driver

Post by andysleigh » Tue Mar 18, 2008 11:18 pm

SillyBilly wrote:Andy, how many times need I tell you, buy a new set of proper wheels it'll be money well spent. Hey look, Stoneleigh's in just over a week, treat yourself.
nahh, i dont want to, i want all my cash for other stuff

mhlr
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by mhlr » Tue Mar 18, 2008 11:52 pm

have u tried roughing the axel up a bit with emerycloth, and then glueing it... the rough surfaces help with glueing...

Spule 4
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by Spule 4 » Wed Mar 19, 2008 2:52 am

andysleigh wrote:
SillyBilly wrote:Andy, how many times need I tell you, buy a new set of proper wheels it'll be money well spent. Hey look, Stoneleigh's in just over a week, treat yourself.
nahh,   i dont want to, i want all my cash for other stuff
Ah, but you get what you pay for. You have probably spent what the wheels will cost you in time mucking about with the old ones.
Garrett

"Some say that Mamods have problems.  Whatever. I view them as opportunities for improvement."

ptlrcecil
Driver
Driver

Post by ptlrcecil » Fri Mar 21, 2008 6:35 pm

No offence but glue just doesnt last 5 minutes on a steam engine. I knew a bloke into 5 inch gauge who glued the steam chests on to the cylinders. They lasted well. A whole 7 minutes. Just a bit of advice.
http://www.freewebs.com/pinetreelightrailway/index.

Cecil your engines on Fire!

Its a Mamod it does that.

Chris Cairns
Driver
Driver

Post by Chris Cairns » Thu Apr 10, 2008 9:41 pm

A photo of the offending wheels would help.

I've put a pair of wobbly Mamod 32mm wheels on an unused and incomplete SL1K, which was fitted with 45mm wheels. These became very loose whilst trying to run it in, and I've had success with using cyanoacrylate at glueing up these wheels.

I used the coupling rods underneath each wheel, one at a time, and clamping them to the chassis sideframe whilst using the glue seems to have worked out so far. I've heard of others using some form of loctite with similar success. Trying to re-punch them needs the right size of punch, as Mamod/MSS use a weird triangular type punch.

Make sure you have set them at the right angle, which is 90 degrees between either side of the axle.

I suspect that you have probably dismantled the chassis to remove these wheels, and that has upset something else in the steam loop. If you pull one cylinder at a time off its backing plate whilst raising steam with the regulator slightly open this will help identify if you have a blockage in the steam pipe/chassis holes from a misalignment of the regulator/reverser valve or the cylinder backplates.

Cheapest set of after market wheels are £25 from PPS, but as spule4 has posted these can work loose as well.

We are awaiting the arrival of the replacement IP ENG sales online by Alan Dunster ( Mamodevon - http://www.mamodevon.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/ ), which he tells me should be mid-April.