Signalling

A place for discussing garden railway scenery, such as buildings, trees, etc....
Sir haydn
Driver
Driver

Signalling

Post by Sir haydn » Tue Aug 31, 2010 9:38 pm

Whilst building the first section of the sherwood oaks railway I have been thinking about signalling.
I think that signals are an important part of the atmophere of a railway and an order has been put in for 3 from lineside delights. this means they can all be wired up for lighting as the circuits go in.
I have also been given a scale 5" gauge signal, now I know this is too big for 16mm scale but I am going to use it anyway to create a feature.

What signals do you use on your line?

Dr. Bond of the DVLR
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by Dr. Bond of the DVLR » Tue Aug 31, 2010 9:54 pm

First I made some out of strips of metal. Then I discovered cambrian plastic kits. Cheap, cheerful and very detailed! You can also wire them up for full operation and working lamps!
The railway which people forgot
(to build)

MDLR
Driver
Driver

Post by MDLR » Tue Aug 31, 2010 9:56 pm

I use hand signals - most NG railways didn't go in for them! If I ever did signal the MDLR, I'd use LNWR shunting signals as I think they "look right".
Brian L Dominic
Managing Director
Flagg Fluorspar Co
www.mdlr.co.uk/ff.html

hussra
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Re: Signalling

Post by hussra » Tue Aug 31, 2010 10:50 pm

Sir haydn wrote:What signals do you use on your line?
Last summer I was at Steve Warrington's shop and someone had just recently brought in some half-complete models of the home and starting signals at Lynton - beautifully done woodwork, but none of the metalwork. £10 secured the deal. These are very slowly being completed using parts (arms etc.) from MSE which happen to be correct for the prototype.

Whether they will actually be used once completed, or moulder gently in Corris-style disuse, remains to be seen.
Richard Huss
in sunny Solihull