new bridge & trestle finished.

A place for discussing garden railway scenery, such as buildings, trees, etc....
peterbunce
Cleaner
Cleaner

new bridge & trestle finished.

Post by peterbunce » Wed Aug 25, 2010 10:07 am

Hi,

I have just about finished what has been taking virtually all of my time recently! I now have a 6 foot trestle, and at one end of that a 4 foot Howe Truss bridge, These will with another aluminium bridge complete the extension.

It took rather a longer time than I anticipated but that is due to an excess of precipitation (even for the rainy Northwest!) that stopped play, as my large circular saw, that was the only thing to cut up the red cedar from and old greenhouse was being used for the 10 bent trestle and 2 bent bridge support at the end . The saw makes a great dwl of sawdust so I was using it outside in the garden; needless to say it was swiftly hidden in the shed when necessary.

The trestle is 6 feet long and the end has a pair for the Howe Truss to sit on. The bents are sat on a couple of layers of 8mm thick PVC foam sheet which is painted grey to represent concrete, and the whole thing has a bed of 10mm gravel, in a trench and a hidden soakaway underneath it: in today’s very heavy rain it worked perfectly – there was no surface water.

The Howe Truss bridge is made from my (lots of) 5mm PVC foam with tension rods from 2.4mm silicon bronze welding rods, sold in 1kg packs and I still have some left, it absorbed over a hundred brass nuts with half of those being soldered to the welding rods, the rest are glued on. Hidden underneath are a couple of square steel tubes from B&Q, that will provide some strength & stiffness. There are lots of fake scale nuts all over it that were individually added, having been made from plasticard and square tube with rod in the centre of the tube. It absorbed more than half a 750 ml can of paint.

Here are some photos of the pair, apologies for the mess in the garden: rain as usual is the main offender in not letting me tidy it up!

The little Porter is an LGB one with a scratch built tender with a couple of scratchbuilt wagons posed on the trestle.

Taken from the other side - the bridge has Hillman bridge clamps so it is instantly removable.
Yours, Peter Bunce

SLRmidge
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by SLRmidge » Wed Aug 25, 2010 10:10 am

Very nice Peter, you're obviously a very patient man! :D
Ian of the SLR(N)

ninge
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by ninge » Wed Aug 25, 2010 11:06 am

Impressive! :)

intrigued as to what was painted out from the path tho :P

Dr. Bond of the DVLR
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by Dr. Bond of the DVLR » Wed Aug 25, 2010 11:23 am

very impressive indeed! They'll look even better when weathored down by the elements!
The railway which people forgot
(to build)

peterbunce
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by peterbunce » Wed Aug 25, 2010 11:28 am

ninge wrote:Impressive! :)

intrigued as to what was painted out from the path tho :P
Easy - the answer is ther garden extension lead which has a couple of plugs on the end that was being used, (and totally forgotten about) with the camera - as usual the batteries had gone flat - so the easy answer was to use the main s power lead!
Yours, Peter Bunce

taliesin001
Driver
Driver

Post by taliesin001 » Wed Aug 25, 2010 7:16 pm

Very nice, well worth the effort

Pendo Pilot
Driver
Driver

Post by Pendo Pilot » Wed Aug 25, 2010 8:58 pm

That looks like a lot of work!! But certainly worth it. Nice job, very inspiring. BTW what are hillman bridge clamps??
Tommy Dodd may have an ARS key but I have a TASS button & a Rope Ladder, just like pirates, except the TASS button bit.

peterbunce
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by peterbunce » Wed Aug 25, 2010 9:26 pm

Pendo Pilot wrote:That looks like a lot of work!! But certainly worth it. Nice job, very inspiring. BTW what are hillman bridge clamps??
Hi,  

Here is my photo of them - they are fixed to the fixed track and the bridge fits into the wider section, there is a little spring loaded steel ball to continue the current through the bridge.

Ther result is an instantly removable bridge.

Mine came from Glendale Junction, they are available in both code 250 and code 332. In the Glendale site, have a look under products, then Hillman for them, they are selling them at £14.50 per pair.

They are also made by 'Splitjaw clamps'  as well, and the Garden Railway Centres shop in Cheltenham also sell them. Their presenty price is £13.50 a pair, and you would want 2 pair for a bridge
Yours, Peter Bunce

Pendo Pilot
Driver
Driver

Post by Pendo Pilot » Wed Aug 25, 2010 11:00 pm

Ahhh now I see, had never heard of them before. May need something like that for my lift out bridge although no need for electrical continuity with mine, just the clamping action for alignment.
Tommy Dodd may have an ARS key but I have a TASS button & a Rope Ladder, just like pirates, except the TASS button bit.

peterbunce
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by peterbunce » Thu Aug 26, 2010 12:18 pm

Pendo Pilot wrote:Ahhh now I see, had never heard of them before. May need something like that for my lift out bridge although no need for electrical continuity with mine, just the clamping action for alignment.

In that case what about making some locators like an upside down 'pi' symbol? To sit under the track and hold the ends in alignment.

Make them from black plasticard and that will assist in hiding them perhaps?
Yours, Peter Bunce

METHSSNIFFER
Driver
Driver

Post by METHSSNIFFER » Thu Aug 26, 2010 10:48 pm

Have you thought of doing a scene from Bridge over the river Kwai!

peterbunce
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by peterbunce » Fri Aug 27, 2010 9:34 am

METHSSNIFFER wrote:Have you thought of doing a scene from Bridge over the river Kwai!

:)    :)

Ah, different design, and size, and hopefully this one will not be either blown up or destroyed!

:!:
Yours, Peter Bunce