Finally, the permanent solution unfolds!

A place for the discussion of garden railways and any garden style/scale portable and/or indoor layouts
Narrow Minded
Driver
Driver

Post by Narrow Minded » Fri May 04, 2012 10:21 pm

<object width="853" height="480"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/5iSIbo9UVr4?ve ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/5iSIbo9UVr4?ve ... n_GB&rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="853" height="480" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

DolwyddelanLightRail
Driver
Driver

Post by DolwyddelanLightRail » Fri May 04, 2012 11:33 pm

Cheers for the info Greg! I'll give it a try next time, still confused at how it worked for the Mamod Forum yet it didn't here! :lol:

dougrail
Driver
Driver

Post by dougrail » Sat May 05, 2012 10:25 am

Cheers for the video :D

laalratty
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by laalratty » Sat May 05, 2012 8:23 pm

DolwyddelanLightRail:70522 wrote:Cheers for the info Greg! I'll give it a try next time, still confused at how it worked for the Mamod Forum yet it didn't here! :lol:
Because for weird forum reasons that don't understand, the forum only allows the old type of embed code, not the new one!
"What the hell is that?"
"It's a model icebreaker sir."
"It's a bit big isn't it?"
"It's a full scale model sir....."

DolwyddelanLightRail
Driver
Driver

Post by DolwyddelanLightRail » Tue Jun 12, 2012 2:28 pm

Well, nothing's been run on the line for some time now, and the vegetation has grown quite a lot by the lineside.........so something had to go.....

DolwyddelanLightRail
Driver
Driver

Post by DolwyddelanLightRail » Fri Nov 30, 2012 7:36 pm

It's been a while since anything was posted here, but not all is lost...

....Britomart was seen with Dolmur Goch piloting track testing after all the floods

The line has now been fully revived and now back in service after the delivery of some set track curves! :D

Lner fan Sam
Fireman
Fireman

Post by Lner fan Sam » Sun Dec 02, 2012 7:05 pm

nice pics there James, very atmospheric I like the ones with firebox glow on britomart.

Is your track a circuit now with these curves James or just a end to end line?

Sam
my first live steam engine build thread:
http://gardenrails.myfreeforum.org/about6685.html

Sam Wake

DolwyddelanLightRail
Driver
Driver

Post by DolwyddelanLightRail » Thu Dec 06, 2012 12:46 pm

Somehow missed your reply here Sam! Yep it's now a curcuit
:wav:

It's only taken me around 4 years to finally get a railway where I don't have to chase the things :lol:

DolwyddelanLightRail
Driver
Driver

Post by DolwyddelanLightRail » Fri Dec 07, 2012 10:54 pm

The other day Snowdon was seen on test runs....the first time it's run in D&FGR hands since early June....

Much later on in the day Pheonix was seen blowing down before ending the day off

DolwyddelanLightRail
Driver
Driver

Post by DolwyddelanLightRail » Sat Dec 08, 2012 7:56 am

A day last weekend it was bitterly cold, all the split water was turning to ice rapidly, the stars were out and it was perfectly still...all the winning combinations this time of year to run a mamod! :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IQzJXLBt0yc

DolwyddelanLightRail
Driver
Driver

Post by DolwyddelanLightRail » Tue Apr 16, 2013 12:29 pm

It's been a while before any major work has gone on here, but not all is lost...Britomart is in the last stages of it's B exam, and it's had a bit of a change...

Will show a full phot this evening when I get home from Uni. Also for general interest whilst I was having an inspection is a phot of the wheel profile on the front wheelset...

DolwyddelanLightRail
Driver
Driver

Post by DolwyddelanLightRail » Tue Apr 16, 2013 4:56 pm

Britomart now back in one piece...

The only issue, is that I've used the same paint as what is on the rest of the loco...and the rest of the loco was painted nearly 2 years ago now. You can't see it too well in the photos, but the rear cabsheet is now noticeably darker than the rest of the loco :lol:

Lner fan Sam
Fireman
Fireman

Post by Lner fan Sam » Tue Apr 16, 2013 5:00 pm

What's the processes in your b exams James?

Mamods look great as half cab backed locos!

Sam Wake

DolwyddelanLightRail
Driver
Driver

Post by DolwyddelanLightRail » Tue Apr 16, 2013 5:21 pm

Well, for those that don't know, on the mainline most locomotives undergo an exam system, which ranges from A to G exam, A being daily to G being every X years etc. I've made my own system of this:

A Exam - After every run, basically checking the locomotive over whilst disposing of that everything is still where it is etc

B Exam - Applies every 15 A exams. Locomotive is stopped for any outstanding work to be applied (I.e. if anything needs fettling with, replaced, tightened up that needs a partial dismantle to get to etc). Also if the loco isn't a mamod, it actually gets cleaned! A B exam also applies if a loco misses 3 A exams in a row.

C Exam - Repairwork after the loco fails in service. Once the loco is back in a runnable state it then goes onto a B exam

D Exam - "Light" Overhaul. Basically a B exam but goes more in depth on tuning (timing is looked at, boiler flues are cleaned etc). This happens after 10 B exams.

E Exam - "Heavy" Overhaul. Full stripdown of the loco. Applies after 2 D exams.

X Exam - Addition of modifications to a loco that is currently in service (i.e. not being applied whilst on an exam). As and when required.

So if any of that makes sense, I do have quite a rigorous maintenance regime. Technically Brit has come off a B+ Exam (The + meaning for extra work on top, i.e. painting of the rear cabsheet). The only real issue is that the Mamods don't really apply to B or D exams, as there isn't exactly much to check mechanically wise, so those are a slight law unto themselves on where they fit in!

So as a quick rundown of the fleets status:

H.G.Butler - Stored - Awaiting work on D exam

Britomart - Ex-works B+ exam

Pheonix - Awaiting E exam to commence

Snowdon - Half way through B exam (and has been since February...)

Dolmur Goch - Awaiting X exam to commence.

Lner fan Sam
Fireman
Fireman

Post by Lner fan Sam » Tue Apr 16, 2013 6:03 pm

I see that's rather in-depth. Theres going to be three half can backed mamods on the forum; your Brit, Laurances ofario and my pioneer!

Sam Wake

Chris Cairns
Driver
Driver

Post by Chris Cairns » Tue Apr 16, 2013 8:48 pm

James, great to see you have painted the half cab back as it had been looking a bit neglected recently.

I was very fortunate to be given one of Peter Jones's half cab backs as well, but I had difficulties painting it with our recent damp and cold winter/spring. Hopefully when it gets warmer I can give it a fine sanding and put on a final coat.

What paint do you use for the inside of the cab?
Lner fan Sam wrote:Theres going to be three half can backed mamods on the forum; your Brit, Laurances ofario and my pioneer!
Sam you have left out Greg's (Narrow Minded) No.6 'Mary' & No.9 'Marion', Peter Jones Loco Works (Superbiker_uk) No. 3 'Lucy', No.4 'Rebecca' & No.5 'Ruth Ann' & Garrett's (Spule 4) Jan-mod.

And Britomart (at least it was when it started), Ofario & Pioneer are actually all MSS's.

Chris Cairns.

Keith S
Driver
Driver

Post by Keith S » Tue Apr 16, 2013 9:01 pm

I always enjoy seeing the adventures of old "Britomart". I bet she has more miles on than most other Mamod engines. You've turned it into a "real" garden locomotive that's for sure. It's nice to see it with a cab back, it looked before like it wanted a tender or something. It looks complete now. Could do with a wash though!

DolwyddelanLightRail
Driver
Driver

Post by DolwyddelanLightRail » Tue Apr 16, 2013 9:08 pm

Chris Cairns:82270 wrote:James, great to see you have painted the half cab back as it had been looking a bit neglected recently.

What paint do you use for the inside of the cab?
I would have painted it a lot earlier, but my primer was at DLRdan's, and I only got it back recently!

The paint I've used in the cab is humbrol enamel gloss cream, I've used it on all my other loco cabs and also my rolling stock

DolwyddelanLightRail
Driver
Driver

Post by DolwyddelanLightRail » Wed Apr 17, 2013 12:42 am

Well it seems Brit hasn't been released from the works just yet...It hasn't has a wash as Keith has asked...but it's had more of a makeover...

Keith S
Driver
Driver

Post by Keith S » Wed Apr 17, 2013 1:08 am

Oh, the black wheels improve it tremendously. Much better than washing it. That is excellent, it's just what was missing all along (other than the cab back)

This engine is making me think differently about Mamod engines. I quite like it. The safety valve especially looks the business.