The leopard who changed his spots...

A place for discussing battery-electric locomotives, whether they're diesel, steam or even electric outline
mhlr
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by mhlr » Thu Aug 12, 2010 11:00 pm

SillyBilly wrote:Zach doesn't need speed control, he only does one speed, very very slow.
:sign5: exactly my thoughts Will!!!

MoelygestLR
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by MoelygestLR » Fri Aug 13, 2010 12:52 am

my thoughts too, and If he is having one of DLRDans new steam locos (that seams to go quite fast) how is he going to cope!
Thanks,

Paul Wood
MGLR

Dr. Bond of the DVLR
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by Dr. Bond of the DVLR » Mon Nov 08, 2010 4:51 pm

The pump is due to arrive from Germany on the 15th of November, the loco is nearly all ready apart form the pump to arrive and after that's in its final wire up and glue in the last side panel as well as some other detailing. Horah
Then I can properly give the whole system a test!
The railway which people forgot
(to build)

DLRdan
Driver
Driver

Post by DLRdan » Mon Nov 08, 2010 5:35 pm

MoelygestLR wrote:my thoughts too, and If he is having one of DLRDans new steam locos (that seams to go quite fast) how is he going to cope!
Simple, he is going to make the diesel go very slow to balance it out. Loook good Zach can't wait for the results
Dan,

James: "Dan, can you use your hearing and tell me if that trains coming ?"
DLR
www.freewebs.com/dlrail

Sir Clothem Cap
Driver
Driver

Post by Sir Clothem Cap » Mon Nov 08, 2010 7:58 pm

Theres a guy on ebay who makes sound cards. That maybe worth a look

mhlr
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by mhlr » Tue Nov 09, 2010 12:41 am

Sir Clothem Cap wrote:Theres a guy on ebay who makes sound cards. That maybe worth a look
Apparently not very good ones though! There's a video on Narrow Minded's thread of one... which is annoying, as I have one lying about somewhere :lol:

Sir Clothem Cap
Driver
Driver

Post by Sir Clothem Cap » Tue Nov 09, 2010 8:31 pm

So thats one not to buy.

TommyDodd
Fireman
Fireman

Post by TommyDodd » Wed Nov 10, 2010 9:26 am

mhlr wrote: Mmmm shot gun round start-up!
You'd also need to mount an off-centre flywheel on the driveshaft to give it that unique single cylinder wobble. They did actually produce a rail-borne version of the field marshall, you know. Fowlers and Marshalls got bought by the same company so someone had a bright idea: "Hey, rather than buy in diesel engines for our Fowler locos lets use one we make ourselves at the Marshall factory!". And so the tractor power-train was added to the "resilient" loco chassis and the Fowler-Marshall was born.

It was not an outstanding success. The combination of single-cylinder engine and undamped leaf springs (whose resonant frequency was uncomfortably close to the idle rpm of the engine) meant that a loco left ticking over would start to bounce on its springs, get bouncier and bouncier and could in extreme cases bounce itself right off the track. Since the ability to derail itself standing still is not what customers look for in a loco not many were sold, and I believe less than 50 were made.

Narrow Minded
Driver
Driver

Post by Narrow Minded » Wed Nov 10, 2010 1:19 pm

It was not an outstanding success. The combination of single-cylinder engine and undamped leaf springs (whose resonant frequency was uncomfortably close to the idle rpm of the engine) meant that a loco left ticking over would start to bounce on its springs, get bouncier and bouncier and could in extreme cases bounce itself right off the track. Since the ability to derail itself standing still is not what customers look for in a loco not many were sold, and I believe less than 50 were made.
But wouldn't you just LOVE to see that on YouTube! :D

Dr. Bond of the DVLR
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by Dr. Bond of the DVLR » Wed Nov 17, 2010 9:17 pm

All very intriguing.

Any way the pump arrived today (2 days late , so much for German efficiency) and after preliminary tests it has been found to be quite satisfactory in operation. It is low power consumption and runs on the 4.7 volt battery pack in my merseysider with ease filling the brake cylinders very quickly. It also makes a nice wirring noise. It really is tiny as well, I recan I could fit an andel O and K with a pneumatic pump even! I have also worked on the control panel and fitted alot of the various switches. Still lots to do and the loco needs a big clean up of greasy fingermarks and super glue smudges. I need also to make a strip to go around the grill at the front to neaten it all up.
Pics:
tiny pump!
Yes, I know its a rats nest!
(to build)

mhlr
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by mhlr » Thu Nov 18, 2010 12:35 am

Hahaha AWESOME Zach! LOVE that control panel! The same amount of controls as a steamy to play with!!

Next you need a mini turbo generator, so you can run it the pump on a steam loco!

MoelygestLR
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by MoelygestLR » Thu Nov 18, 2010 12:59 am

Same comments as Pete ..... Love the control panel, has a real narrow gauge diesel feel to it!
Thanks,

Paul Wood
MGLR

Sir Clothem Cap
Driver
Driver

Post by Sir Clothem Cap » Thu Nov 18, 2010 8:39 pm

How do you control when to activate the brakes?

Dr. Bond of the DVLR
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by Dr. Bond of the DVLR » Thu Nov 18, 2010 9:05 pm

To take the brakes off and move off the "Pump" switch is switched on. Its a latching switch so supplies constant electricity to the pump when clicked. The pump proceeds to fill all the brake cylinders along the train, that done the cylinder on the locomotive itself will be full to the same level and it presses a push to break switch which cuts out the pump. If there are any small leaks the loco cylinder will become emptier and the push to break switch is released, the pump actuated and the system filled again. Hopefully the refilling part will not be required.
You may notice in the control panel a hole labelled "Dump Valve". In its place will go a valve which when opened will dump all the air out of the system thus applying the brakes. Before this is done the "Pump" switch is opened.

Should the train become parted air will rush out of the system fast than the pump can replace it and the brakes will come on in prototypical fashion. Hope that clears up a few quandaries.
(to build)

Sir Clothem Cap
Driver
Driver

Post by Sir Clothem Cap » Thu Nov 18, 2010 9:11 pm

Yes thanks! thats an amazingly real system you have designed.

Dr. Bond of the DVLR
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by Dr. Bond of the DVLR » Sun Jan 09, 2011 8:20 pm

Well, the pump is now installed but I am having a little trouble with the pressure control system. The bonnet is now fully enclosed with a removable top. To complete:
Roof (white obviously)
Dump valve for air system
Sound system
extra batteries for running the pump
Radiator grill surround
lamp brackets
tidy up with WD forty to remove marks
couplings
Brake hose stands
Regulator lever
Glue down control panel
Driver
Big Chimbley like the early tractors had.
I had it running today at the model engineering club, sadly no pictures but she went along well, I have never charged the batteries and it still have half an hour of charge.
(to build)

Hancockshire
Driver
Driver

Post by Hancockshire » Sun Jan 09, 2011 8:31 pm

I've just had a look at the whole topic :shock: That control panel looks EPIC!!!! It's the epicest thing in the epic world ever. Now I know you're showing off your laser cutter :lol:

Dave
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by Dave » Sun Jan 09, 2011 8:34 pm

Hi

Looks great so far,any chance of a pcture of the underneath workings

Dave :)
Not Another One

Dr. Bond of the DVLR
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by Dr. Bond of the DVLR » Sun Jan 09, 2011 8:50 pm

not until I've got it working! Just tested the system and it was the cylinder under the loco sticking making the pump go baserc. Having connected it up to the braked carriage it operates the brakes fine.
(to build)

Sir Clothem Cap
Driver
Driver

Post by Sir Clothem Cap » Wed Jan 12, 2011 7:45 pm

all you need now is a full rake of carriages and a hilly line.