The leopard who changed his spots...

A place for discussing battery-electric locomotives, whether they're diesel, steam or even electric outline
Dr. Bond of the DVLR
Retired Director
Retired Director

The leopard who changed his spots...

Post by Dr. Bond of the DVLR » Wed Jul 07, 2010 9:08 pm

OK, ok, I know how anti battery electric I have been in the past but I have done something truely shocking for which you will all hate me,
I bought an AnDel merseysider.
It is purly to see if I can fit an onboard compressor into a battery electric loco for my air brakes and not becuase I have gone soft.....

But me being me I'll not be leaving it as is!
It will have a large radiator grill on the front to get rid of those lights and radiator grill that look like a face!
It will be in dark blue (of cource) and will be manual control, I'll be trying to fit a sound card into it and a horn and also a compressor and air brake equiptment including a pressure valve so that the compressor stops when the system is full.
It is also being supplied as a one off as it will not be built and will come as a kit of parts with no instructions.
The railway which people forgot
(to build)

bessytractor
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by bessytractor » Wed Jul 07, 2010 9:23 pm

suggestion for compressor, old blood pressure meter pump!

Narrow Minded
Driver
Driver

Post by Narrow Minded » Thu Jul 08, 2010 1:08 am

It's OK Zach, we all understand! It's just a one - off and you have a special reason (the brakes) for getting it!
But oh, you're fitting a soundcard, ...and a horn, ........

Come off it mate, you've joined the ranks of the infernal combustion modellers!!!! :D :D :D :D

Welcome :lol:

Sir haydn
Driver
Driver

Post by Sir haydn » Thu Jul 08, 2010 3:16 pm

Why not have a compressor wagon like peter pan has with all the brake equipment? you could use a model aircraft fuel pump

DolwyddelanLightRail
Driver
Driver

Post by DolwyddelanLightRail » Thu Jul 08, 2010 8:48 pm

it looks like i'm going to be one of the very few left now that has NO interest in getting a battery loco what-so-ever! :shock:

Narrow Minded
Driver
Driver

Post by Narrow Minded » Thu Jul 08, 2010 8:50 pm

DolwyddelanLightRail wrote:it looks like i'm going to be one of the very few left now that has NO interest in getting a battery loco what-so-ever! :shock:

YET! hur-hur-hur :evil:

SillyBilly
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by SillyBilly » Thu Jul 08, 2010 9:14 pm

Well done Zach for finally coming of age.

DLRdan
Driver
Driver

Post by DLRdan » Thu Jul 08, 2010 9:18 pm

Welcome to the diesel era and however much you want you can never stop at one. They are like steam engines only less obvious about how they are infecting you. :D
Dan,

James: "Dan, can you use your hearing and tell me if that trains coming ?"
DLR
www.freewebs.com/dlrail

mhlr
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by mhlr » Fri Jul 09, 2010 2:02 am

DLRdan wrote:Welcome to the diesel era and however much you want you can never stop at one. They are like steam engines only less obvious about how they are infecting you. :D
Yeah, you have TWO of the same thing!!!

Pendo Pilot
Driver
Driver

Post by Pendo Pilot » Fri Jul 09, 2010 2:24 am

I'm happy to have battery loco's, easy to get some movement for those times that you just can't be bothered to fire something up. Also good for trialing new bits of line.

However I have two Nitro petrol motors (One from an RC car & one in my RC Helicopter) that I keep looking at & planning things. Hmmmm Nitro electric...I know it's been done but I'm wondering how many volts could I produce from a nitro engine with dynamo?

I like the idea of Nitro Electric as then I can just use traction motor(s) to power the loco..... Hmmmmm
Tommy Dodd may have an ARS key but I have a TASS button & a Rope Ladder, just like pirates, except the TASS button bit.

TonyW
Driver
Driver

Post by TonyW » Fri Jul 09, 2010 10:30 am

Pendo Pilot wrote:Hmmmm Nitro electric...I know it's been done but I'm wondering how many volts could I produce from a nitro engine with dynamo?

I like the idea of Nitro Electric as then I can just use traction motor(s) to power the loco..... Hmmmmm
I'm with you there! I have a very long-term plan to build an FR Funkey with some kind of internal combustion engine (preferably a 4-stroke) driving a generator. I thought I had cracked it last year, but the components I wanted to use simply would not fit inside the Funkey body, being both too wide and too tall. Supply of a Funkey kit also became an issue. The idea is on my back-burner but is still very much alive.

In the meantime, here is some inspiration:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gSwha_Ug7sk
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iYYJ3xDEaTc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w1EtBOc6418
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mutb7KgA9NM&NR
Tony Willmore
Rhos Helyg Locomotive Works: http://www.rhoshelyg.me.uk
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/RhosHelygLocoWorks

mhlr
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by mhlr » Fri Jul 09, 2010 11:21 pm

I had toyed with that idea too, as I have a tiny little 2 stroke diesel for a model boat, but that will require a water cooling system so would become complicated - but diesel electric :P ?

Dr. Bond of the DVLR
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by Dr. Bond of the DVLR » Sun Jul 11, 2010 9:29 pm

Hmmm,
I will be modifying this locomotive somewhat to become a DVLR loco rather than a merseysider. (It makes sense to me...)
Pete suggested it took influence from an early tractor with a large exhaust pipe like a field marshall and have a fly wheel. I think this is a cracking idea. As to the sound system- does anyone know of a sound card that makes the noise of an old tractor (maybe out of a cheap model toy) or one to which one can record one's own noise?
(to build)

mhlr
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by mhlr » Mon Jul 12, 2010 12:05 am

Mmmm shot gun round start-up!

The only soundcard I've come across that you can record your own sound was on Cornwall Model Boats I told you about Zach, but it's about £140! You'd be best off looking for one with a 2 cylinder put-put sound.

bessytractor
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by bessytractor » Mon Jul 12, 2010 12:10 am

mhlr wrote:Image

Mmmm shot gun round start-up!

The only soundcard I've come across that you can record your own sound was on Cornwall Model Boats I told you about Zach, but it's about £140! You'd be best off looking for one with a 2 cylinder put-put sound.
those things are really hard to set up right, you have to isolate all the background noise to get just that noise (I did it by using my dads very convenient "dead room" in his edit suite, unearthly silence is a very weird thing to experience, he locked me in there once!).

Unless you get one you can put an MP3 on :lol:

MoelygestLR
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by MoelygestLR » Mon Jul 12, 2010 12:16 am

ACME do a put put style one dont they, think Andel sells it as well!
Thanks,

Paul Wood
MGLR

Dr. Bond of the DVLR
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by Dr. Bond of the DVLR » Thu Aug 12, 2010 9:34 pm

Work has started building and modifying the locomotive. All the wiring has been soldered up after some head scratching and the body is taking shape.
I do like the colour. I am modifying the front for a large grill and have modified the shape of the cab.
(to build)

Driver
Driver

Post by 90733 » Thu Aug 12, 2010 9:47 pm

WOW, i really like that :D
Thanks
Jack

andelmodels
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by andelmodels » Thu Aug 12, 2010 10:32 pm

Looking good,,

Please tell where and how you are going to mount the speed control knob as I might pinch your idea,,

Regards, Andy
Andy Bell

AnDel Models
www.andelmodels.co.uk

SillyBilly
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by SillyBilly » Thu Aug 12, 2010 10:34 pm

Zach doesn't need speed control, he only does one speed, very very slow.