Sir John Baker and the Compton Possie!

A place for discussing battery-electric locomotives, whether they're diesel, steam or even electric outline
Crackingjob
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Sir John Baker and the Compton Possie!

Post by Crackingjob » Mon Jun 28, 2010 12:58 pm

At last, border controls betweem Wales, England and Cornwall have been resolved, and International NG rail freight has commenced, with the arrival of Sir John Baker, with vans, to aid trade in Welsh Cakes & Cornish Pasties to and from Compton Down and the Manhood of ILLUGGEN. An undertaking has been given not to smuggle Saffron and Roddas Cream.

Final run of Sir John over CDR metals took place on 26/6/10 at the CDR, but will I hope not the last.

Sir John has been inspected by CME ..Loof Ripla, and found that we have slipping gears, possible motor burn and long wheel base..simple things to resolve. The body is superb, and just needs a front coupling.

The CDR have transfered 3 Vans who need a little work (mainly cosmetic).

In reality this will be a Peter Jones grouping that will stay together for heritage runs.

Also transfered and subject of What Is It?? (WHAISIT from now on)
is a former Faller railcar cut and shunt, which Peter was reworking, we think as it was too long to go around curves.

The mind of Crackingjob is in overdrive, and I hope to pass all plans pass Kes, and make it Whymsical.

Crackingjob

Sir John and vans

Sir John...note NLR plates, which are from the line of late Don Jones (Peters brother)

WHAISIT....more to appear in projects blog

kes
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by kes » Mon Jun 28, 2010 5:07 pm

Certainly hope that Sir John will return after his long awaited overhaul and breathe some Compton Air (a subtle blend of fresh air & brickworks smoke with occasional meths overtones) again soon. Always welcome - look forward to the profiteered bounty on next smuggling run immensely... long & happy running

Driver
Driver

Post by 90733 » Mon Jun 28, 2010 5:37 pm

Nice pics, and another pic of the brickwors, to help my little compton project ;)
Thanks
Jack

SLRmidge
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by SLRmidge » Mon Jun 28, 2010 6:31 pm

Very nice :D There seems to be a number of members of this forum that own Compton stuff, we'll have to form the 'Compton Down Club' or something! :lol:
Ian of the SLR(N)

Driver
Driver

Post by 90733 » Mon Jun 28, 2010 6:35 pm

SLRmidge wrote:Very nice  :D There seems to be a number of members of this forum that own Compton stuff, we'll have to form the 'Compton Down Club' or something!  :lol:
Hmmm.............ye lol :lol: How many people actully own Compton Down 'stuff' (amazing master pieces inserted here) on this forum?
Thanks
Jack

mhlr
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by mhlr » Mon Jun 28, 2010 7:00 pm

Wow, that's cracking, Crackingjob! You've given me an idea, I'll have to build a Rodda's Clotted Cream refrigerated van in honour of my mate Mr. W Rodda!

Crackingjob
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by Crackingjob » Mon Jun 28, 2010 7:53 pm

Blatent advertising for Roddas (and being a small place I know one or two also)....which produces the finest Clotted Cream, now available via Sainburys Finest brand, Tescos finest,Waitrose etc.

...just the thing to bribe the domestic authorities with!

Thanks for the photos Kes....wonderful...I'll speak to Ivor Package when supply runs commence

As for Compton owners....are we able to start a referance file of photos in the referance blog??

Crackingjob

kes
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by kes » Mon Jun 28, 2010 9:30 pm

As from the archives - Sir John at an earlier incarnation of brickworks

No.... this wasn't the motor burning out!

Would love to see a Compton Owners section somewhere, means everything to have been able to keep in touch with it all 8)

Driver
Driver

Post by 90733 » Mon Jun 28, 2010 9:34 pm

kes wrote:Image

As from the archives - Sir John at an earlier incarnation of brickworks

Would love to see a Compton Owners section somewhere, means everything to have been able to keep in touch with it all 8)
Whats bthe little loco on the higher level, I thinks it pretty cool looking. The Compton Down sections is a good idea too :D
Thanks
Jack

kes
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by kes » Mon Jun 28, 2010 9:39 pm

little loco is Bilbo Baggins - and the excellent news is that the working gubbins were found on Saturday to resurrect him - seen here again at brickworks, recognise the van pre paintjob?....

Image ;)

Driver
Driver

Post by 90733 » Mon Jun 28, 2010 9:42 pm

So it's coming back :D, can't wait to hopefully see it one day :D
EDIT: Just noticed the van, the best bit is, it's sat in front of me :D, that means that one small loco!
Thanks
Jack

Crackingjob
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by Crackingjob » Tue Jun 29, 2010 8:30 am

Ahh saw the Baggins gubbins as found on Saturday...strange motor though and the chassis is a simple section of squared U shaped alloy...we were musing, I think it was a Graham Stowell loco or at least influenced

As for 90733...if you build one, pictures are in Peters 'Practical Garden Railways' book.....and as for a name....Frodo?

The smoke efects are great...simple metal tube with chamber, wet grass and meths...wonderful

Crackingjob

kes
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by kes » Tue Jun 29, 2010 10:36 am

Crackingjob wrote:
The smoke efects are great...simple metal tube with chamber, wet grass and meths...wonderful

Crackingjob
the other was a 3 wick burner filled with grubby paraffin/turps which fed interconnected pipework set into concrete.

You just missed the finding & firing of the pacific boiler set into the wall feeding yet another chimney, so got the 3 going at once - with a check to see if neighbours washing not on the line first of course.

Driver
Driver

Post by 90733 » Tue Jun 29, 2010 3:47 pm

Crackingjob wrote: As for 90733...if you build one, pictures are in Peters 'Practical Garden Railways' book.....and as for a name....Frodo?

Crackingjob
Me build a Bilbo Baggins like loco? (didn't say that, but you've given me ideas :lol: :roll: ). Like the name idea, dunno why, just clever :D. As for smoke effects, it ws all very clever, yet not stupidly completcated.
Will we see a thread appear for Bilbo baggins then?,..................;)
Thanks
Jack

bessytractor
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by bessytractor » Wed Jun 30, 2010 11:06 pm

good old Bilbo. He was always a favourite from the old Railway Modeller articles!

Driver
Driver

Post by 90733 » Thu Jul 01, 2010 6:44 am

bessytractor wrote:good old Bilbo. He was always a favourite from the old Railway Modeller articles!
Thats where I've seen it, je was always in the back ground on the high level of the bric works .
Thanks
Jack