The DVLR Mark 2

A place for the discussion of garden railways and any garden style/scale portable and/or indoor layouts
KNO3
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by KNO3 » Mon Apr 11, 2016 12:10 am

Thanks. I'll try to find some.

LNR
Driver
Driver

Post by LNR » Mon Apr 11, 2016 12:41 am

Love the velocipede pics. and their captions, perfect.
Grant.

Dr. Bond of the DVLR
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by Dr. Bond of the DVLR » Mon Apr 11, 2016 10:42 am

Thank you again!

I've got a question to field. With the idea of having seperate locos owned by the Coprolite Company (How does "Bawdsey Coprolite Company Ltd." or "Deben Phosphates" sound?) I was wondering what livery they should be. I've got several ideas but am in a bit of a muddle, so long as it is attractive and complements the DVLR's blue livery.

River Cleddau (my Peter Jones overtype battery electric) is in a dirty green livery and I can't repaint it so it will have to stay green to preserve its Compton Down roots.
I am currently building (at a glacial pace) an overtype with wilesco cylinders, it might look nice in green but I had thought black would be easier. Brown was another thought, or corris railway red.

I'd like the Coprolite company to have its own company identity and livery with emphasis on industrial stock.

Your thoughts are much appreciated
The railway which people forgot
(to build)

Sir Clothem Cap
Driver
Driver

Post by Sir Clothem Cap » Mon Apr 11, 2016 5:45 pm

A BBC Coprolite train sounds good :lol:

rebelego
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by rebelego » Tue Apr 12, 2016 5:18 am

Very nice photos again!

Where have you got the draisine? Is it a kit?

Dr. Bond of the DVLR
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by Dr. Bond of the DVLR » Tue Apr 12, 2016 10:00 am

I picked it up from the Model town stand at Peterborough. I only saw that one and a 4 wheel motor bike one. The reason why I bought it was the Mid Suffolk Light Railway (where I volunteer as a fireman) had one for their "Plate layer's Gala" a few years ago and it was a lot of fun (if exhausting - they have a 1 in 56 gradient...). This one looks identical to the one we had at the gala.

I asked on the stand where they were from and he just said someone in Belgium makes them.

Sorry I can't be of any more help.
(to build)

rebelego
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by rebelego » Tue Apr 12, 2016 2:19 pm

Ahh... It is Ozark. Made in the US. I knew I had seen it before. :)
http://www.ozarkminiatures.com/scripts/ ... roduct=156
Last edited by rebelego on Sun May 20, 2018 10:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

Dr. Bond of the DVLR
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by Dr. Bond of the DVLR » Tue Apr 12, 2016 4:52 pm

Thank you kindly for the link! I'm quite please with how much I payed for mine...
(to build)

Keith S
Driver
Driver

Post by Keith S » Wed Apr 13, 2016 4:56 am

Ozark has some really nice models. I gave my father a North- American style live steam loco a while ago and he built some rolling-stock to go with it- some little narrow-gauge four-wheeled logging bolsters and a van- and the level of detail in the Ozark kits was exquisite. There wasn't even anything uniquely North American about some of them- I recommend having a look at their stock if you're in the mood for something a little different.

Like this thing for instance:

The axles are properly sprung, there are all sorts of little details, brake wheels, bits of chain, white metal castings, etc, and the price is roughly the equivalent of £45 or so- even with shipping, probably worth it when you see the models. I don't work for them, I'm not even an American, but when I saw my Dad's little wagons compared to my IP engineering ones- I was VERY impressed.

Dr. Bond of the DVLR
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by Dr. Bond of the DVLR » Wed Nov 09, 2016 11:58 pm

Well, as expected the current course is taking up quite a bit of time and I now don't get long holidays. I do, however, get weekends! I popped back the other weekend at a time I've not been at home for 4 years for. It was lovely to see the autumn collours in the garden. The cherry and the acer look very well indeed and with River Alde recently back from the DLR workshops (Thanks Dan) I got outside!

The zoomed in shot was quite nice but I'll include the zoomed out one because there is more of the cherry in it which has really lovely colours on it at the moment!

(to build)

markoteal
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Very atmospheric

Post by markoteal » Thu Nov 10, 2016 9:54 am

Zac - its great to see the railway in action again - and boy how has blended perfectly into the countryside it travels through - brilliant to see after your many years of effort documented on the forum
Where did I put that uncoupler?

DLRdan
Driver
Driver

Post by DLRdan » Thu Nov 10, 2016 11:56 am

That mind your own business looks like a really slow growing plant, must have taken ages to get to that size........
Dan,

James: "Dan, can you use your hearing and tell me if that trains coming ?"
DLR
www.freewebs.com/dlrail

Keith S
Driver
Driver

Post by Keith S » Thu Nov 10, 2016 4:20 pm

How did you get it to look as though the horse has trod away all the MYOB in his paddock? That looks quite real.

markoteal
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Clear patch

Post by markoteal » Thu Nov 10, 2016 4:51 pm

Is the carpet still down under there Zac?
Where did I put that uncoupler?

LNR
Driver
Driver

Post by LNR » Thu Nov 10, 2016 9:43 pm

A railway running THROUGH a landscape, very atmospheric.
Grant.

Dr. Bond of the DVLR
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by Dr. Bond of the DVLR » Thu Nov 10, 2016 10:55 pm

Thank you very much indeed for the kind words.
The field/paddoc is a piece of door mat (its still there although it now look less like a doormat).

I am afraid to say the railway has got to this stage mainly through neglect - I've done very little on it this past year. I did make sure to clear off every single big overscale leaf to improve the look of the shot, the railway does benefit here from going round a corner at the back so you can get a lot of scenery in the way.

This little bit is supposedly inspired by a little bit of the kettering furnaces railway (seen at 14.52 here...)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YVTQhpkAITo
(to build)

Dr. Bond of the DVLR
Retired Director
Retired Director

Re: The DVLR Mark 2

Post by Dr. Bond of the DVLR » Sat Apr 15, 2017 11:10 pm

Hullo all,
I'll spare you the "I got back from Uni and I found this" photos but needless to say today was spent most of today picking up all the leaves and ripping up the MYOB. Bits of the railway have really settled in very nicely so I thought I'd share some naff phone photos of it with you.

Sandlings corner quite quiet, just a chicken dotting about, someone needs to re-hang the gate...

Looking towards Butley - I like the curves here.

Looking up-line from Aldeburgh. The MYOB has only just taken to this stretch, it being quite a dry part of the garden.

A really naff washed out photo (it was getting dark) but I do like what the river does and the trees are maturing nicely

With that done its time to think about sidings at Aldeburgh - I quite like the idea of this one - standard Mid Suffolk Light Railway siding layout here - depending on the shunting done you can access one of the sidings whatever direction you approach the station in. The siding to the left would serve the brickworks and fertilizer plant (if that ever happens) and the one to the right tucked up by the station will be the beech siding and serve the fish sheds (when they appear).
Station layout still provisional though I think this would be workable, the station would then be good for planting properly with platforms etc.
This area has never really been scenicaly developed - don't really know what to do with the big mound!

Progress is now very slow due to PhD and not living at home any more.
(to build)

LNR
Driver
Driver

Post by LNR » Sun Apr 16, 2017 1:15 am

Sandlings Corner is still a perfect picture of rural narrow gauge railways.
Grant.
PS just realised I have an old doormat, hmmm!

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Sun Apr 16, 2017 8:19 am

Really like that shot up-line from Aldeburgh - not just the railway snaking off into the distance but the road up the hill as well.
Rik
------------------------
Peckforton Light Railway - Blog Facebook Youtube

artfull dodger
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by artfull dodger » Sun Apr 16, 2017 3:32 pm

Nice pictures. Sometimes a little neglect is whats needed to get that overgown and rundown look to the railway. I just wish I could do the same to my railway, but the family beagle had other plans, so its time to elevate my railway several feet above ground level away from said beast. Thanks for the pics! Mike
Silly NT's.....I have Asperger's Syndrome!