The High Weald Light Railway (HWLR), ex B&MLR

A place for the discussion of garden railways and any garden style/scale portable and/or indoor layouts
Tom
Fireman
Fireman

Post by Tom » Mon Jun 13, 2011 3:54 pm

Thanks for the Comments,

Its been fairly busy here of late, with lots going on, we've had Parcels and other Mail arriving, Parcels going off around the UK and theres still a few to come and go.

The Blue Ffion Kit arrived on wednesday/thursday morning :D along with the WHR Brake Van and the items ordered from Dream Steam, sadly they were too late for the Steam Up on Saturday as I had work booked for all of the week/weekend. (apart from Saturday)

Lots of progress has been made on the WHR Brake and theres a few pics below, Its a great kit and I would highly recommend one, the sides are made up of no less than 5 seperate layers, the ends 4 layers and the axleboxes are also made up of 5 layers. There is loads of detail in the kit and it all fits together like a dream. The instructions are numbered and correspond to the pictures on the enclosed CD-ROM. :D

And a comparison of size:

The Lines Manager has proposed for 2 more FfR Quarrymens Coaches to be brought after the completion of the Ashbury 1st Class Coach with was purchased many mooons ago now.
Cheers Tom

taliesin001
Driver
Driver

Post by taliesin001 » Mon Jun 13, 2011 7:58 pm

The guards van looks great, I plan to order one at some point. :D

Tom
Fireman
Fireman

Post by Tom » Mon Jun 13, 2011 8:50 pm

I plan to order one at some point.
Haha, you wont regret it, cant wait to get some more of the kits!!
Cheers Tom

Tom
Fireman
Fireman

Post by Tom » Sat Jul 02, 2011 8:49 pm

Hi All,

Yet another great day has been had at the Longmead Branch today, the sun was out, there was a nice breeze and there was lots of trains running!  :lol:

So heres some photos:

Cherwell Station has recieved a new temporary platform, new station signs and has been brightened up.

Windy Millers wife was caught hanging the laundry out ....

The Breakdown Train was stabled in the sidings at Cherwell, with 'Aiden' resting after a few laps.

The Slate Train was also seen out and about.

The Passenger Coaches were stabled outside North Tonbridge between duties

The WHR Brake Van was out and about on its first test run. There is still a fair amount of work to do on it - (windows need adding, another layer on the roof, door handles etc and obviously a lick of paint) and it could be seen in the Yard at Cherwell amongst the slate wagons

The Railbus could be seen on Passenger duties standing in for Longmeads one that was lost in a serious accident outside Cherwell in May/June

Longmead was bustling as usual

As per usual the Day didnt go without its disasters ........

This was caused after the coal wagons derailed on the curve taking everything else off with them. I stopped the train but caught the RC on my shirt as I leant down to sort out the mess, before I had time to stand up, the loco was to reverse and it shot off scattering the derailed wagons as it flew past. :lol: It did look very good I have to say and luckily nothing was damaged 8)

Now this was possibly my last Club Day Steam Up for the next year, this is due to the possibility of gaining a place on an N*tw**k R**ls Advanced Apprenticeship Scheme, now this all depends on how the Interview goes on the 22nd of July as to whether i'll be off to Plymouth for a year's worth of training in Sept.
However on a brighter note there's still the Longmead Branchlines 14th Anniversary at the end of August to go.

Thanks as ever go to Terry, Pete and Carolyn for such a great day :lol:
Cheers Tom

Tom
Fireman
Fireman

Post by Tom » Tue Jul 05, 2011 7:12 pm

Hi All,

Just a quick update on the rolling-stock side of things. It has been pretty busy here with not much happening on the railway side of things due to the lack of paint etc, but heres a few things that have been going on.

Another FfR Quarrymens coach arrived today and work has already commenced. (Just waiting for the paint to arrived now). It is hoped that enough money can be raised for another and that this will be completed before the end of august.

Both the WHR Vans (2+4) have also been ordered and will be on their way very soon. It is hoped that the paint wont be far behind these so that I can make some progress on them so that they are ready for the Longmead Branch 14th Anniversary at the end of August.

In the mean time I have also ordered some de-bonder so I can take apart some of the pieces of 'AMITY' and do them a little better (some parts dried wonky etc), and it is hoped that the loco will also be ready to go for its first run on the Anniversary, where the offical naming of the Loco will take place. This is along sides 'SKYE's' offical naming too.

The WHR Guards Van is also pretty much complete and is just waiting for some paint. (when it arrives)

Pictures to follow when more progress is made :D
Cheers Tom

taliesin001
Driver
Driver

Post by taliesin001 » Tue Jul 05, 2011 7:19 pm

Looking forward to the pics :D

Tom
Fireman
Fireman

Post by Tom » Fri Jul 15, 2011 8:37 pm

Heres a few Progress Pictures :D :lol:

So first up is the WHR Brake, the Ends need another coat or two of grey but the sides have already had their 2 coats of Red Oxide, ( I must sort out that wonky step too!)

Then the sides for the Ashbury are coming along nicely too! The white needs another couple of coats yet, and the plum needs another too!

And finally the sides of the Quarrymens Coach are coming along nicley aswell!
Cheers Tom

Tom
Fireman
Fireman

Post by Tom » Fri Aug 12, 2011 5:56 pm

HI All,

Things are progressing quite nicely with a push to get everything ready for the 14th Anniversary of the Longmead Branch in 2 weeks time  :lol:

The Ashbury has come on leaps and bounds since the last update and the second side is nearing completion. But here is a picture of it so far:

The 2nd Quarrymens Coach is just about ready too:

Also some sort of permanent P Way Vehicle is on the drawing board, this will hopefully undertake Hedge Cutting and other duties around the line.

Thats all for now  :D
Cheers Tom

taliesin001
Driver
Driver

Post by taliesin001 » Fri Aug 12, 2011 8:22 pm

Both vehicles are looking great, keep up the good work!

Tom
Fireman
Fireman

Post by Tom » Sat Aug 20, 2011 4:16 pm

Thanks Lewis :lol:

So today saw another Quarrymens Coach added to the fleet :D Coach No. 3 to join No.12 and the Brake.

:D
Cheers Tom

Driver
Driver

Post by 90733 » Sat Aug 20, 2011 5:29 pm

Looking very smart :D
Thanks
Jack

Tom
Fireman
Fireman

Post by Tom » Sun Aug 21, 2011 4:05 pm

Thanks Jack :D

Now I've managed to make some more progress on the Ashbury Coach today:

The finished side has recieved another coat of plum, both pairs of its door handles and its footboard (which requires another coat or 2 of paint). The other side is currently being put together/drying. Whilst this was going on i have also added the: solebars, axleboxes, bearings, wheels and the couplings :D

Heres a couple of pictures:

:lol:
Cheers Tom

Tom
Fireman
Fireman

Post by Tom » Wed Aug 24, 2011 8:02 pm

Nearly there now!! :lol:

The second side has been added, all glazing has been put in, door handles and grab rails are also in, along with the stepboards. So all that is left is the roof and a drop of paint on the vents.

2 more days to finish it off :D ... No pressure :lol:
Cheers Tom

taliesin001
Driver
Driver

Post by taliesin001 » Wed Aug 24, 2011 8:48 pm

looking at those quarrymans coaches I am tempted to get a few myself! The ashbury is looking great also, are you planning on putting crests and lining on?

Tom
Fireman
Fireman

Post by Tom » Wed Aug 24, 2011 9:31 pm

taliesin001:57956 wrote:looking at those quarrymans coaches I am tempted to get a few myself! The ashbury is looking great also, are you planning on putting crests and lining on?
:D I'm after 2 more Quarrymens Coaches, but would also like to start putting together a rake of Bug Boxes :lol:

Cheers! Lining ..... No! I'm not feeling brave enough and I'm happy with how it is at the moment. Yes I will be putting the Transfers on but thats once its done and I've got time to do them, as I dont want to rush it for Saturday and mess it up. Then I'll give it a spray coat of varnish? If I can :? :lol:
Cheers Tom

Tom
Fireman
Fireman

Post by Tom » Sun Aug 28, 2011 8:55 pm

OPERATION ASHBURY COMPLETE :D (apart from Tansfers)

I just about manged to get it ready in time for Saturday and here are some pics of it out and about at the Longmead Branch.

:D
Cheers Tom

bessytractor
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by bessytractor » Wed Aug 31, 2011 4:32 pm

excellent carriage! Did you get on the NR scheme? Thats what I do (for my sins) :lol:
proudly flying in the face of convention

Tom
Fireman
Fireman

Post by Tom » Wed Aug 31, 2011 5:57 pm

bessytractor:58166 wrote:excellent carriage! Did you get on the NR scheme? Thats what I do (for my sins) :lol:
Thanks, No I didnt unfortunatley :cry: , however I was 1 of the last 5 going for the 1 place in Track at Orpington, but i'm re-applying again for 2012
Cheers Tom

bessytractor
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by bessytractor » Thu Sep 01, 2011 8:06 am

I did track but couldn't get on with pway, so I changed to S&T which is much more pleasant. Means an extra year of Apprentice wages but at least I'm happy now. The one good thing about the track course is technical drawing. Thats come in very handy for 16mm purposes :lol:
proudly flying in the face of convention

Tom
Fireman
Fireman

Post by Tom » Fri Sep 02, 2011 5:06 pm

bessytractor:58193 wrote:I did track but couldn't get on with pway, so I changed to S&T which is much more pleasant. Means an extra year of Apprentice wages but at least I'm happy now. The one good thing about the track course is technical drawing. Thats come in very handy for 16mm purposes :lol:
Ah I had Track as preference 1 then S&T as preference 2 with Electrification as 3.

Well the sitution has now changed :D I recieved a phonecall out of the blue this morning offering me a place at Singlewell (North Kent) and I've taken it as its an extra 30 mins on top of me commuting to Orpington everyday but it gets me on the course and is the start of hopefully of good career with a well known British company!! :D So owing to me passing the medical and security clearance, I should be off to Plymouth 2 weeks tomorrow (Saturday 17th Sept) :D :lol:
Cheers Tom