Any IP Engineering "Lucy" owners?

A place for discussing battery-electric locomotives, whether they're diesel, steam or even electric outline
Spule 4
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Any IP Engineering "Lucy" owners?

Post by Spule 4 » Fri Feb 22, 2008 3:20 pm

All:

Just bought an IP Lucy, awaiting shipment from the UK now.

Anone here own this or the similar "Punch"?

I have not played with battery power in nearly 20 years, so I am open for ideas.

The first ideas I have include getting the chain drive from IP (I bought the loco from another vendor) as I think this would be the first natural step for running.

The next idea was to make a speed control for this using a pot, small "cap", and a voltage regulator. It appears that IP sells a kit similar to this, but I think I can source up my own bits Stateside for less. I have built higher voltage adjustable and fixed systems similar to this.

As far as detailing, I will have to wait and see what the kit has and figure out the direction there.

Thanks-
Garrett

"Some say that Mamods have problems.  Whatever. I view them as opportunities for improvement."

steamyjim
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by steamyjim » Fri Feb 22, 2008 6:28 pm

I had a Lucy for christmas last year. Haven't got round to building it yet though.

Very well engineered though

laalratty
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by laalratty » Fri Feb 22, 2008 8:44 pm

I've got a punch with 4 wheel drive, which it definatly needs as I have had some trials without and the haulage capacity is rubbish
The loco I've found is so slow that it does not need a speed controller, but I know a friend who modified his punch with more batteries or someting like, which goes a bit faster
Very good starter engine i'd say though

Spule 4
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by Spule 4 » Fri Feb 22, 2008 10:55 pm

Thanks for the replies. I will have a bit of time to play with it before doing any speed control experiments, but I did wonder about increasing battery capacity....

Thanks on the tip on the chain drive, that is on the "to buy" list.
Garrett

"Some say that Mamods have problems.  Whatever. I view them as opportunities for improvement."

Spule 4
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by Spule 4 » Tue Mar 04, 2008 1:26 am

The loco arrived today from the UK.

Nice kit, a lot of sheetmetal, weighs quite a bit.

I am going to order the drive chain from IP along with a couple other bits.

I already have a couple modifications in mind, time will tell what comes about tho!
Garrett

New Haven Neil
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by New Haven Neil » Thu Mar 06, 2008 3:46 pm

I was thinking about Jessie.....wrong engine! Sorry Garrett - I have a Punch, and I don't think a speed controller is worth the bother either - it's very slow!

The chain drive is a must - and make sure you loctite the gears to the axles while still dry from oil etc......don't ask.... :(

Neil.

Living on an island paradise, the Isle of Man - narrow gauge trains and motorbike racing!

pauly
Driver
Driver

Post by pauly » Tue Aug 12, 2008 11:34 pm

cant go far wrong with a lucy ;)

little tip: make sure you glue the gears onto the axles or they will slip.
A steam propelled life-style.