Triang Novo Conversions??

Do you have a problem? Here is the place to appeal for help
Shifty
Cleaner
Cleaner

Triang Novo Conversions??

Post by Shifty » Sun Feb 17, 2008 3:26 pm

Hi Guys,

Just a quick query about the cheap and cheerful Triang / Novo 'Big Big Train' Rustons - has anyone had much experience bashing these into something which looks remotely good? I'm buying a couple, and want to hack them into a matched pair - but if anyone's got any pictures / advice / etc I'd love to hear from them. Pictures especially!

Anyone had much joy in using them on their layouts? Powerful, or not?

Cheers,

Simon

mhlr
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by mhlr » Sun Feb 17, 2008 4:43 pm

I saw one with a taller cab, and sprayed black with a bit of weathering, quite a good little thing, it would haul 4 loaded skips around fairly slowly... sorry, no pics of it... I may have a go one day at one.

SillyBilly
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by SillyBilly » Sun Feb 17, 2008 5:00 pm

I've got one with a mamod cab on it, and one with new buffer beams and a nice paint job. See here www.freewebs.com/shrailway/locos.htm .

Chris Cairns
Driver
Driver

Post by Chris Cairns » Sun Feb 17, 2008 7:34 pm

In the past I remember a seller listing plans to convert this Ruston to the porportions of the real life one it is modelled one. Although the engine and chassis are a good match, the cab is too small for this scale. Unfortunately I've failed to find any reference to this modification on the internet (annoying as it had a photo of the real life loco the model is based on).

The loco is a Ruston 40DL, and here is one similar to the big big train version - http://www.whr.co.uk/s/gallery/dchap4/dc4-16

Type Ruston 40DL into Google to see other variations on a theme.

SillyBilly
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by SillyBilly » Sun Feb 17, 2008 7:59 pm

Sorry Chris, 'Kinnerly' is nothing like the Big Big ones, I have a pic of the one it's based on some where, shall dig it out later.

ptlrcecil
Driver
Driver

Post by ptlrcecil » Sun Feb 17, 2008 9:09 pm

Good thing to do with the rustons is just chop the cab off and and make it an open cab. Ill take some pics tomorrow.
http://www.freewebs.com/pinetreelightrailway/index.

Cecil your engines on Fire!

Its a Mamod it does that.

SillyBilly
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by SillyBilly » Sun Feb 17, 2008 10:17 pm

Oh, I forgot to mention, that they're not overly powerful, but good enough for shortish trains, aslong as they aren't stupidly heavy loads, I'm sure I've dragged mamod waggons around with them, so they're not too bad.

An extract from 'Industrial Narrow Gauge Railways'.

An extract from 'A guide to Ruston Narrow Gauge Locomotives'.

Chris Cairns
Driver
Driver

Post by Chris Cairns » Sun Feb 17, 2008 11:08 pm

That is interesting William. Thanks for posting that info.

Spent quite some time tonight surfing the internet trying to find my loco picture - it had a different cab arrangement to the one you have posted above. A very confusing subject with so many variations of the same class of loco.

Chris Cairns
Driver
Driver

Post by Chris Cairns » Mon Feb 18, 2008 8:43 pm

Not a modification as such, but an idea regarding powering these Triang/Novo chassis's.

They originally used the 'C' cell size batteries, but these days the cheapest option is the 'AA' size battery which is readily available in different capacities and formats - alkaline, lithium, rechargeable, etc. Whilst ordering some photgraphic supplies I came across these battery adapters - http://www.7dayshop.com/catalog/product ... _id=100922 and http://www.7dayshop.com/catalog/product ... _id=100923

Ideal for use in the Triang/Novo chassis, and of course as it is 3V you actually only need 2 batteries to get these running, 4 will give you a longer run.

Chris Cairns.

(edited to correct image link)