DVLR Developements

What is your latest project?
Endless, Nameless
Driver
Driver

Post by Endless, Nameless » Fri Nov 20, 2009 8:02 pm

The last one is definitely my favourite- gives trains a destination yet still makes your life easier- it also looks neater to my eyes.

I like being able to make up a freight at one station, run it to another, swap the wagons about and return with a different train- and repeat continously. Looks like there's more scope for that on the 2nd plan, hence my bias!
Matt

"The Ancient Greeks called it Pandora's box- but what they actually meant was Baldrick's Trousers"

Dr. Bond of the DVLR
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by Dr. Bond of the DVLR » Fri Nov 20, 2009 8:16 pm

yeah I too like the idea of a real railway with a destination I just don't like running!With the last plan Woodbridge and Aldebough are quite close but with a reasonable amount of track between. Snape is in my shed and the railway goes through 180 degrees so would be parrall to woodbridge. I am also installing a telegraph system so I could operate both station's telegraph buttons at once or get someone else to do it as is the idea! I shall enquire about the last plan to the domestic authorities and see. I am not sure what people woh like continous loops will have to say though!
The railway which people forgot
(to build)

mhlr
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by mhlr » Fri Nov 20, 2009 8:29 pm

I like the last idea, but I'd link the loop bit up with a section of track to where the tunnel is so you can have a balloon loop too for continuous running if you want to, but disguised well with a tunnel mouth or whatever to prevent it looking like that.

Also, it's bIke, not bYke ;) :lol:

Dr. Bond of the DVLR
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by Dr. Bond of the DVLR » Fri Nov 20, 2009 8:30 pm

I know I am rubbish with spellings- it runs in the family! and I don't know, the third one is kind of appealing to me more than the others!
(to build)

Dr. Bond of the DVLR
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by Dr. Bond of the DVLR » Fri Nov 20, 2009 9:10 pm

right in case any one is confused about the track plan of my railway at the moment here is a clear diagram!
It shows Snape St (in my shed) at the top and Aldesbough in the corner. The railway then runs along the wall a litle way to the left of the diagram!
Here is where the extension is going the brown line marking the low flowerbed and the black box is my shed. To give you a sence of scale it is about 2m from the edge of my shed to the flowerbed which is below it in the diagram! The thinck black lines are the huge tall walls of our courtyard garden!
(to build)

SillyBilly
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by SillyBilly » Sat Nov 21, 2009 12:13 am

I think both layouts are nice, it seems to me that one of the main reasons behind your extension was to get a balloon loop in so that you could enjoy some form of continuous running?

To me what Pete suggested sounds best, but you may want a platform for through running? (Hope you don't mind me moding your diagram) I think a platform half on a bridge accross the stream would be quite cool. I don't know how much of your railway is set around the seaside, but my suggestion for the disguise of the balloon loop return tunnel portal would be a cave if it is to be Seasidey.
If you were to make the stretch of line behind the bike store a tunnel I would just give it portals and a short section of top to disguis it, there's no point covering it over because that will just make it harder for you during that inevitable PANIC moment.

Endless, Nameless
Driver
Driver

Post by Endless, Nameless » Sat Nov 21, 2009 12:35 am

As you don't have a balloon loop at the top end, it's not a true continuous loop anyway- so I wouldn't bother with the link track personally. But I'm the person that bought an 8' by 4' 00 roundy roundy layout and promptly ripped half of it up to turn it into terminus- fiddle yard. So I'm probably not the best person to ask.
Matt

"The Ancient Greeks called it Pandora's box- but what they actually meant was Baldrick's Trousers"

mhlr
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by mhlr » Sat Nov 21, 2009 12:54 am

Well, if you have the bit like Will drew in there, you can enjoy best of both worlds... If you can't be bothered on a really hot sunny day to walk to the otherside, fiddle around with your chopper couplings etc, you can just leave the points set so it comes back to you. But when you want to use it as a terminus, just use it like that... ?

Dr. Bond of the DVLR
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by Dr. Bond of the DVLR » Sat Nov 21, 2009 11:22 am

Hmmm, I suppose, it is the amount of points I have that is the problem - being half yorkshireish I suppose I have fiarly short arms and deep pockets!
I shall see, I get what you are all talking about. ONly one of my staions is seasidey, the others are on rivers! hence the model rievr deben which is really quite wide where I am and could never be spanned by a station platform!
The advantage of curving it round would mean that I do not have to run right down to the other end to stop it plunging off the shelf into the guiney pig hutch! I shall consider both options with the domestics and get back to people!
(to build)

Hancockshire
Driver
Driver

Post by Hancockshire » Sat Nov 21, 2009 11:31 am

Let me have a go with the latter of your clearer plans to make something. Don't worry I can do higher (A-level) graphic communication so it'll be awesome

Hancockshire
Driver
Driver

Post by Hancockshire » Sat Nov 21, 2009 12:02 pm

Finished

DolwyddelanLightRail
Driver
Driver

Post by DolwyddelanLightRail » Sat Nov 21, 2009 12:54 pm

That looks quite good, I'd go for it!

Dr. Bond of the DVLR
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by Dr. Bond of the DVLR » Sat Nov 21, 2009 1:34 pm

That would be lovely but is sadly impossible, I need places for the bike (that diagonal clot) and for woodbridge and Aldebough (that siding in the corne) to be seporated. The railway you must remember is about a foot higher than the flowerbed so I have to build up flowerbeds for where woodbridge loop bit is. I do not have enough points at the moment for the link loop as well so I might build the 180 degree turn and woodbridge and leave foundations for a posible link loop in the future. The diagram was a nice touch but it does not suit the situation and is unfortunantly impossible. The original inention was to find a place where I could build a woodbridge station. The fact that less running is involved is a bonus and the fact that I could have a balloon loop at one end would have been lovelly but might not happen. I still need to talk to the domestics about all this. One thing also about that diagram hancockshire is that where you have put a lovely dark green for grass is concrete and paveing slabs. This really is a case of putting a railway in where it would have been impossible to. I need ingenuiety!
(to build)

Dr. Bond of the DVLR
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by Dr. Bond of the DVLR » Sat Nov 21, 2009 5:02 pm

Hmmm, I have "thinking Permision" from the domestic Authorities untill I have less coursework to do!
I shall then over christmas have permision to discuss and plan and build which is good. I may end up being like the MHLR and waiting untill I have finished this year (year 11) and then extend the line when I have lots of free time. I shall update when I have heared more but untill then it is Piano Practice, Courcework and Organ Building (My Systems and control Project)
Oh I live an exciting life
(to build)

Dr. Bond of the DVLR
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by Dr. Bond of the DVLR » Sun Dec 13, 2009 8:10 pm

Right just so we are clear about the shape of my garden I have taken some pictures to show you what I have to work with! It is in a bit of a tip at the moment and I have to work around bins, bikes and god knows what else!
In this last one you can see the bridge in its folded up position on the side of my shed and the gat I have to avoid. Yup, its pretty rubbish I know and tiny.
The up side is that following my Grade 8 result and getting a scholership to a new sixthform my parents have given me the whole of the flowerbed to have.
The down side is that I have allready built and developed a railway on a shelf now so the flowerbed is pretty useless unless I start all over again! I could raise sections up to the track level I suppose. Any way there you go!
(to build)

SillyBilly
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by SillyBilly » Sun Dec 13, 2009 8:37 pm

I thought my garden was a mess :shock: :lol: ;) !

Dr. Bond of the DVLR
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by Dr. Bond of the DVLR » Sun Dec 13, 2009 8:52 pm

Well now it belongs to me so I can start to do something about it. It is nowonder I have to run to get to the other end before the train does, I am forever tripping and goeing round things. My step dad who doesn't have enough time to take the paint tins and junk to the recylcling centre just seems to leave it there and foreget about it. The bikes and the bins really do not help. The wall is elderly and fragile so I can not hang the bikes off it above the railway. God why is my life allways so difficult! It is as if some greater power doen't want me to have a garden railway!
(to build)

DLRdan
Driver
Driver

Post by DLRdan » Sun Dec 13, 2009 9:55 pm

Wow a whole free flower bed. If it were me i would take everything out that bed and start again lowering your track to that height rather than raising the bed up. I would start however just tidying the place up then seeing what is actually availiable
Dan,

James: "Dan, can you use your hearing and tell me if that trains coming ?"
DLR
www.freewebs.com/dlrail

Dr. Bond of the DVLR
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by Dr. Bond of the DVLR » Sun Dec 13, 2009 10:01 pm

hum yes, that is a possibility, I obviously have a lot of planning to do. Would be nice to actually have a landscape for the trains to run through. This also give me an excuse to get a new loco to aid the new developements!
I am open to all suggestions as I usually do things a bit differently it is nice to see what other people would advise me to do!
(to build)

mhlr
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by mhlr » Sun Dec 13, 2009 10:36 pm

I agree with Dan... It could be better lower as it gives you more landscaping opportunites.
If I was in your shoes, I'd rip the beds out, raise them (i.e. log roll frontage) so it's about a foot off the ground, lay your trackbed in that and then you can landscape it nicely.
However, this would mean demolishing what you have already done, but seeing as it is on shelves, this can't be too hard to do, just a case of removing the track and unscrewing the shelves from the walls.
This would be a bit time consuming, and may require some money to do...