Maxitrak Alice

This is the place to talk about news, TV, music and other hobbies
Ardglen
Cleaner
Cleaner

Maxitrak Alice

Post by Ardglen » Fri Oct 02, 2009 2:01 am

Hi all,
I was just reading the latest issue of Garden Rail to reach me "down under" and I noticed an ad for Maxitrack with a nice looking model of Alice. Being somewhat fond of the baby Hunslets had a look at their website and on first glance was impressed with what I saw. Has anyone had any experiences with either the company or in particular with Alice?
I apologise if this isn't the correct forum to post this query.
Regards
Andrew

PCLR
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by PCLR » Fri Oct 02, 2009 8:00 am

don't get one my mate was going to get one but there are not EC stamped which mean you can't get a boiler certiferget  ( they are weak and unreleyable ) PLEASE TAKE MY ADDVICE
Last edited by PCLR on Mon Oct 12, 2009 7:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Buckinghamshire Railway Centre !!
VAMES!!
keeping steem alive if a little smaller!
Michael

Matt
Driver
Driver

Post by Matt » Fri Oct 02, 2009 4:41 pm

I have no experience with maxitrak, although judging from what I've seen on other websites, they are pretty good from what other people have said.

If in doubt, I surggest looking at one of the good second hand websities like station road. They oftern have hunslets, or simular, up for sale.
Garden Railways-best hobby in the world.

mhlr
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by mhlr » Fri Oct 02, 2009 5:02 pm

Welcome Ardglen... possibly our second Aussie member? ACLR is one.
PCLR wrote:don't get one my mate was going to get one but there are not EC stamped which mean you can't get a boiler certiferget  ( they are weak and unreleyable )
So how do scratchbuilders get an EC stamp for a boiler cert.?

PCLR
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by PCLR » Fri Oct 02, 2009 5:24 pm

they are not been made in china and shipped of
VAMES!!
Michael

Endless, Nameless
Driver
Driver

Post by Endless, Nameless » Fri Oct 02, 2009 5:56 pm

I'm fairly sure it's illegal to sell a steam locomotive new without a boiler certificate.
Matt

"The Ancient Greeks called it Pandora's box- but what they actually meant was Baldrick's Trousers"

made-in-england
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by made-in-england » Fri Oct 02, 2009 6:01 pm

Im not sure about new builds pete, would like to know as I have a little project on the horizon.. possibly.. maybye.. one day...

Dr. Bond of the DVLR
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by Dr. Bond of the DVLR » Fri Oct 02, 2009 6:04 pm

yes I don't think one can sell a steam loco that does not have a steam certificate- it has to be safe to be used for public running? I think it looks a nice loco. I really really want a 5 inch narrow gauge loco but haven't the money- I suppose if I saved and didn't buy 16mm scale locos that maybe one day I could! My experiences with maxitrak have been positive- when I visited ally pally engineering show they were very friendly and answered all my queries with a smile. I don't know much about there products but for the hundreds that have been produced few seem to go through second hand sales so the owners must want to hang on to them.
The railway which people forgot
(to build)

PCLR
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by PCLR » Fri Oct 02, 2009 7:11 pm

that my point they not safe for pubil running if you wish to pull passagers get a sweet pea for a dixide i am not say all maxitrack locos are crap just be ware of alice it is not what it seems but do all of your loco have current boiler certivergests i not mine do
VAMES!!
Michael

Endless, Nameless
Driver
Driver

Post by Endless, Nameless » Fri Oct 02, 2009 8:37 pm

I'd like some proof that they aren't sold with a valid boiler safety certificate, other than "a bloke I know told me". I imagine selling locomotives without one, and that aren't safe, legal or not would cause massive damage to the company's reputation, and this is the first I've heard of it. Winson Engineering had a terrible reputation and they only made locomotives that were bad, not dangerous...

However... if you can get your hands on a well made Sweet Pea, they are undeniably excellent- good running, powerful and easy to drive. I've had the pleasure of driving a couple now. Issues arise with buying a loco "sight unseen"; it might be a complete dog. If you do buy a secondhand loco I'd look at getting one from a reputable dealer.
Matt

"The Ancient Greeks called it Pandora's box- but what they actually meant was Baldrick's Trousers"

laalratty
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by laalratty » Fri Oct 02, 2009 8:38 pm

I wouldn't of thought that they would be allowed to sell a boiler that hadn't been boiler certified, as it would be over the bar/liter limit. As for Maxitrak, I've heared that they are not the best in the world, lacking in power and durability for more then 2 or 3 passengers (I believe Will's quarry hunslet is a lot better), having said that as long as you do not thrash it then it should be perfectly useable for private use.
Matt, you say Winson made bad engines, you are wrong, they made bad coaches and wagons as well!
"What the hell is that?"
"It's a model icebreaker sir."
"It's a bit big isn't it?"
"It's a full scale model sir....."

Endless, Nameless
Driver
Driver

Post by Endless, Nameless » Fri Oct 02, 2009 8:46 pm

:lol: fair point, I stand corrected...
Matt

Rob
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by Rob » Fri Oct 02, 2009 10:13 pm

in my opinion, i would first try station road steam or someone similar for a second hand model. they know what they are selling and will help you on your way.

i would be a little wary of maxitrak as they are made in china. as people have said, you do need a CE stamp on new boiler which maxitrak should have (not deffinate), but old boiler wont have them due to regulation changes a few years ago for new boilers. this allows you get a test certificate for public running (passengers), you dont need one for private running (in your garden), but will do for club running.

your best bet will be to contact station road steam, see what they have and what they reccomend, and what they think of maxitrak.

http://www.stationroadsteam.com/

SillyBilly
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by SillyBilly » Fri Oct 02, 2009 10:27 pm

PCLR wrote:but there are not EC stamped which mean you can't get a boiler certiferget
I presume by EC you mean CE.

According to the 7 1/4" society Notices I have here it has been an 'offence' to sell a commercial boiler that is not CE approved and stamped since 30/05/2002 in the UK, boilers with a capacity of 2 litres or less have a different set of regulations and markings, but they also must carry a mark. I doubt very much that Maxitrak would sell what is in effect an illegal boiler given their wealth of experience. I'm not sure of the capacity of the Alice's boiler.

I would ask Maxitrak about how easy it is to get an official boiler certificate for an 'Alice', I would have thought it's very easy, try get it in an e-mail so you have it in writing aswell.

We had one visit the railway I go to, I saw it being lifted from the crate for the first time and it's first steaming, first impressions are that it is very nicely constructed, nice clean edges and a great paint job, the boiler I thought was especially beautifel, it seemed to steam well, and it pulled one person with ease. The brake gear needed some attention as it seemed very stiff, probably just a case of a good lubrication, the axle pump was the worst thing I found, it didn't always pump when you closed the bypass valve, it did work though and I'm sure this was a fixable problem, I'm yet to ask Maxitrak what was up. What it really boils down to is what do you want the loco to do? Do you want it to pull you and maybe a couple of friends around a relitavely level garden or the club track, or do you want it to charge some gradients with 6 people behind? If the answer is the former, then so long as any queries about the boiler certification are sorted it's a bargain, the latter, then I'd explore other avenues.

A friend's photos of the one I had a go with are here www.ben-evans.fotopic.net/c1741920.html

MoelygestLR
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by MoelygestLR » Sat Oct 03, 2009 1:36 am

The other point is that you can pick up a decent Sweat Pea second hand for less than a Alice from maxitrak. Ok I know its a bit risky going sight unseen but you can always ask for pictures. Like Will said, it depends what you want it for.
Thanks,

Paul Wood
MGLR

Endless, Nameless
Driver
Driver

Post by Endless, Nameless » Sat Oct 03, 2009 1:13 pm

Can people not post links to Station Road Steam please?

Every time I go on that website I find myself staring drooling at the screen... There's a beautiful 5" County 4-4-0 on there at the moment, I think I'm in love...
Matt

plewsy2105
Fireman
Fireman

Post by plewsy2105 » Mon Oct 05, 2009 8:43 pm

just had a look at some of the relivant websites and have made a few calls live steam locos with a gauge under 2 1/2 inches do not need a boiler certificate as they are classed as toys. im quite supprised :shock: :shock:

plewsy2105
plewsy2105

MHR apprentice fitter

PCLR
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by PCLR » Mon Oct 05, 2009 8:53 pm

that why edrig e.g don't have to have one
VAMES!!
Michael

Matt
Driver
Driver

Post by Matt » Sat Oct 10, 2009 4:21 pm

Endless, Nameless wrote:Can people not post links to Station Road Steam please?

Every time I go on that website I find myself staring drooling at the screen... There's a beautiful 5" County 4-4-0 on there at the moment, I think I'm in love...
Too late.

I was looking on there, found this.

http://www.stationroadsteam.co.uk/stock ... /index.htm

Not really a quarry hunslet, but still looks good.
Garden Railways-best hobby in the world.

Endless, Nameless
Driver
Driver

Post by Endless, Nameless » Sat Oct 10, 2009 5:13 pm

Even liveried right- I was born in Bristol!

This http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5XL8V3MD3os has to be my favourite of all the stuff they've had in- the livery is prototypical too, that class was Steward & Lloyd's steelwork's standard type.
Matt