What I did this weekend CLOCKWORK

What is your latest project?
Crackingjob
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

What I did this weekend CLOCKWORK

Post by Crackingjob » Sun Sep 20, 2009 6:07 pm

I have been very naughty and I've been playing with Clockwork motors...I bought 4 via Ebay for less than £20 in total..all Meccano No1 and reversable. Two are a little weak other pair are much stronger.

I have used one of the weakest to make a AWNUTS deconstructed loco...There are a few bits to add (ie.dome, crew and ??)
The idea is to have fun and as ever have something different to run and a couple of hours buildtime.

The cheap 'meccano' type kit cost me 99p from Range (a cheap household/toys shop) and having used some old Binnie wheels and sleeving them in brass tube (to build up the axles to 5mm diameter...then found the cheap kit had 2 x 5mm shafts ideal...oh well use them on the next project (the kits are imported by Kandytoys from Exeter, the jeep is fine for a chassis for a little runabout with 3volt motor)

I have, with this loco, used direct drive to the wheels with IP 4x4 drive attached, as this motor is the weakest......I will attempt something similar as seen on the CLOCKWORK IN THE GARDEN pages I found sometime ago and have the motor on a separate chassis with chain drive.

The whole thing came to no more than £6 (£5 the motor..old rail, screws, a part of the 99p kit and card)....yet to see what it can pull.

To see better models.......

ca.geocities.com/clockworkpage@rogers.com
(if the above link does not work try googling CLOCKWORK IN THE GARDEN )

Hope you like it
Crackingjob

The basic drive

The cheap 'meccano' type kit

The basic chassis and buffers made from a cheap Jenga set

The finished job..its runs!!! about 60 plus feet

laalratty
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by laalratty » Sun Sep 20, 2009 8:33 pm

Great stuff, another "cracking job" :lol: Look forward to seeing what you achieve with the other motors
"What the hell is that?"
"It's a model icebreaker sir."
"It's a bit big isn't it?"
"It's a full scale model sir....."

LMS-Jools
Driver
Driver

Post by LMS-Jools » Sun Sep 20, 2009 8:34 pm

WooHoo most excellent. :lol:

MDLR
Driver
Driver

Post by MDLR » Sun Sep 20, 2009 9:18 pm

Good for you - let's hope it always stops where you can reach it!
Brian L Dominic
Managing Director
Flagg Fluorspar Co
www.mdlr.co.uk/ff.html

mhlr
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by mhlr » Sun Sep 20, 2009 9:59 pm

I reckon a Guiness type locomotive could be made from one of these motors... now there's an idea for yah! ;)

SillyBilly
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by SillyBilly » Sun Sep 20, 2009 10:14 pm

That's fantastically wacky!

Crackingjob
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

clockwork

Post by Crackingjob » Mon Sep 21, 2009 5:44 pm

mhlr wrote:I reckon a Guiness type locomotive could be made from one of these motors... now there's an idea for yah!  ;)
That means a visit to the off licence for a few cans....how do you think I came up with this...

Thanks for the very nice comments...anyone else out there with DIY clockwork????

Crackingjob

ps here is one of master Clockworker Chuck Donovan's creations

made-in-england
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by made-in-england » Mon Sep 21, 2009 5:48 pm

VEERY nice! and as per usual to my "strange" taste :)

would love to have a go at making one but dowt there are any of those motors availible off ebay :?

Crackingjob
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

re Clockwork Motors

Post by Crackingjob » Mon Sep 21, 2009 6:27 pm

You can get them via Ebay.....search under Clockwork Motor
and Clockwork train/Loco

I used a Meccano Number 1 motor that has a reverse leaver...you will have to add wheels etc. Motors range from about £5 upwards

Some use ones from old clockwork trains..like Mr Donovan above...these tend to be more expensive...don't know why.

Suggest you Google Clockwork in the garden or follow the link above and research.

I'm new to this , but willing to help....could try very old 16mm members as many built early locos with Clockwork.

Crackingjob

Dr. Bond of the DVLR
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by Dr. Bond of the DVLR » Mon Sep 21, 2009 7:35 pm

I have a locolines whikham trolley that I don't want to use electricity for as I have a no diesil, petrol or lecticity polisy. It would (with great modification) make an interesting little workmans trolly or token carrier. The bumble bee friction drive thing is just short of range from one end to the other and the double flanged wheels don't help either. If I can get my hands on a clockwork motor I'll have a go!
The railway which people forgot
(to build)

Crackingjob
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

clockwork motors

Post by Crackingjob » Wed Sep 23, 2009 7:33 am

there seems to be all sorts out there even lego have a clockwork

We have some OO hornby ones that No2 son had for his railway (ear marked for GN15)...which at a pinch could have extended axles for 32/45mm

I've even seen old 8mm/16mm film cameras used (they had a wind up motor inside and the key folds away)

Suggest raid toy bins/charity shops/car boots...its amazing what you can find...(even things to convert into you next loco/rail car etc)just be careful not to lay out huge amounts of ikies(money) as some have high price tags knowing there is a 'historic' value to Oldies

I suggest research the clockwork in the garden site and google meccano motors and then go and be raidrs of the lost charity shop for that elusive prize

I like the idea mentioned earlier of fricton motor...loads of those about in cheapo toys

Crackingjob
Last edited by Crackingjob on Thu Sep 24, 2009 2:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Endless, Nameless
Driver
Driver

Post by Endless, Nameless » Wed Sep 23, 2009 11:24 am

I reckon one of the Hornby "Thomas" clockwork locos would be a good mechanism donor for a Wickham. Should be able to get one fairly cheap- I did have one, but think it probably got chucked out yonks ago. Put a wanted ad up on here, you never know!
Matt

"The Ancient Greeks called it Pandora's box- but what they actually meant was Baldrick's Trousers"

Dr. Bond of the DVLR
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by Dr. Bond of the DVLR » Wed Sep 23, 2009 6:01 pm

It'd probably go at a nice speed as well! I shall try and search the charity shops etc before posting it in wanted though!
(to build)

Chris
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by Chris » Thu Sep 24, 2009 9:34 pm

I tried a very crude mock up with a meccano motor on a mamod flat bed. It worked but didn't go very far at all before stopping.

More inspiration here...

http://ca.geocities.com/clockworkpage@rogers.com/

Crackingjob
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Almost finished

Post by Crackingjob » Fri Sep 25, 2009 2:56 pm

Aaahh Chris you've found the same web site...very good one

The clockwork does not go far (Canked goes about 60 feet plus) but fun and the old 16mm boys had rules about not winding up on the main line unless in the yard and station....some even were able to predict where it would stop (apparently some small bets of pennies were made).

Its nice to try something else...Chris keep going..plus... any photos of yours?

Almost finished with mine...have added steam dome (bicycle) bell, fuel of wire wool nuts & bolts and a crew....just need to sort out the rolling stock...I have just the thing but it will have to wait a few days

Crackingjob

Crackingjob
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

I almost forgot CLOCKWORK IN ACTION

Post by Crackingjob » Fri Sep 25, 2009 3:02 pm

Not being very computer illiterate...so forgive for not putting the link in.......but go to You Tube and search Spring Windup 2009 to see CLOCKWORK in live action

Crackingjob

Dr. Bond of the DVLR
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by Dr. Bond of the DVLR » Fri Sep 25, 2009 7:26 pm

Your loco really brought a smile to my face, a work of wind up art!
(to build)

mhlr
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by mhlr » Fri Sep 25, 2009 10:32 pm

I'll put it up for you:

<object width="640" height="505"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/ijHx-3xYzBU&hl ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/ijHx-3xYzBU&hl ... 2=0x54abd6" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="505"></embed></object>

LMS-Jools
Driver
Driver

Post by LMS-Jools » Sat Sep 26, 2009 8:29 am

Hey is this a Wind Up ?

nah really that was fun to watch ad a good chuckle at the out takes too. :twisted:

Crackingjob
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Almost finished

Post by Crackingjob » Wed Sep 30, 2009 10:04 pm

Almost there.....have added a train of tippers with wire wool payloads.Just need to add the Guard to the last truck.

The tippers are old ones made by No2 Son and I years ago out of steel beer cans (rubbed with glass paper, soaked in vinager and hung out in the rain to RUST)
The chassis are wood with Binnie wheels and axles held by wire clips (type used for holding small wires you nail to skirtingboards etc). The tipper shapes are either glued or rivited, and small nails are used as pins for support....very tatty, very cheap (and yes the beer helped...if your u18 ignore the last!)

I have left the chimney white (except for a copper top) to show its Green credentials....The ROCKET ...yes the original one, had a white chimney to show how clean it was at the Rainhill Trials...that loco used coke as opposed to coal as it was cleaner...apparently!

Crackingjob