Atropos Rolling Stock Kits

Discussion of Rolling Stock related topics should go here
Gary_16mm
Cleaner
Cleaner

Atropos Rolling Stock Kits

Post by Gary_16mm » Sun Apr 07, 2024 8:20 pm

Good evening,

I’m about to start an Atropos wagon kit and the instructions suggest that for scoring planking to use a “No. 4 miniature screwdriver” I may be being stupid but I’m not sure what a No. 4 screwdriver is or what the description relates to. Is anyone able to advise please?

Thanks in advance.

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Atropos Rolling Stock Kits

Post by ge_rik » Mon Apr 08, 2024 8:19 am

No idea. I've just done a search on t'internet, and found nothing definitive in terms of numbering systems for miniature screwdrivers. Flat bladed all seem to be measured in fractions of mm and mm (and are colour coded). Cross head are numbered but only go from 000 to 1.

I did find this on numbering systems for screwdrivers

https://uktoolguide.com/screwdriver-typ ... lained-uk/

About half way down it suggests screwdrivers with numbers 4 - 12 are used for heavy duty construction work. Not sure how this equates to "miniature" screwdrivers if indeed it does at all.

Rik
------------------------
Peckforton Light Railway - Blog Facebook Youtube

Gary_16mm
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by Gary_16mm » Mon Apr 08, 2024 10:55 am

Thanks Rik, I’d done a Google search but couldn’t find anything relevant at all. It’s strange that Martin (of Atropos) states it on all the build instructions as he’s so particular and precise (in a good way), if people cannot determine what it relates to. Even if it was an historical measure, I’d have expected to find some reference on the internet!

philipy

Post by philipy » Mon Apr 08, 2024 11:24 am

Gary_16mm wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 10:55 am It’s strange that Martin (of Atropos) states it on all the build instructions as he’s so particular and precise (in a good way), if people cannot determine what it relates to. Even if it was an historical measure, I’d have expected to find some reference on the internet!
A new one on me too, I've been waiting to see what those who know more than me had to say!
Maybe the easiest/best thing to do is drop Atropus a line and ask him what a #4 screwdriver measures across the blade?
Philip

Gary_16mm
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by Gary_16mm » Mon Apr 08, 2024 12:49 pm

Thanks Philip, trouble is that Martin retired some years ago now. I picked this kit up fairly recently, unbuilt, to add to a few more I’ve acquired over the years. Just got round to making a start on them. I will use something else to scribe the planking but was, for once, trying to follow the instructions/guidance.

Gary_16mm
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by Gary_16mm » Mon Apr 08, 2024 12:52 pm

Just to be clear, the instructions read:
“Scoring of wood parts to represent planking is best done with a relatively blunt instrument to minimise the tendency of the scorer to follow the grain; the corner of a No. 4 miniature screwdriver gives good results”.

Phil.P
Fireman
Fireman

Post by Phil.P » Mon Apr 08, 2024 2:15 pm

The only 'numbered' screwdrivers I know of, are Post Office designations, but a 'Number 4' is a medium-width slot driver, with a longer shaft. - I would have thought this a little thick, in the blade, for this?

I would think one of those cheap, small screwdrivers (used to be in a holder like a solitaire game) usually by the till, as a 'oh! I'll have one of them as well', or the biggest 'miniaturre' (jewellers?) screwdriver you have.

Phil.P

Gary_16mm
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by Gary_16mm » Mon Apr 08, 2024 2:22 pm

Phil.P wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 2:15 pm The only 'numbered' screwdrivers I know of, are Post Office designations, but a 'Number 4' is a medium-width slot driver, with a longer shaft. - I would have thought this a little thick, in the blade, for this?

I would think one of those cheap, small screwdrivers (used to be in a holder like a solitaire game) usually by the till, as a 'oh! I'll have one of them as well', or the biggest 'miniaturre' (jewellers?) screwdriver you have.

Phil.P
Thanks Phil. I will try out a few things to see what gives the best result. I just felt a bit stupid not knowing what a No.4 miniature could be…but it seems maybe it’s not just me.