HGLW loco tweak

What is your latest project?
-steves-
Administrator
Administrator

Re: HGLW loco tweak

Post by -steves- » Wed Mar 13, 2024 9:09 am

You have done a great job of that paint after the initial reaction. Looks super, loving the printed name plates.
The buck stops here .......

Ditton Meadow Light Railway (DMLR)
Member of Peterborough and District Association
http://peterborough.16mm.org.uk/

SimonWood
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by SimonWood » Wed Mar 13, 2024 9:20 am

Lovely consistent finish across both new and refurbished elements, great looking loco.
Rheilffordd Moel Rhos: blog - photos - videos

philipy

Post by philipy » Wed Mar 13, 2024 10:47 am

Does look good Rik, and the sound is interesting. I've got one of the Ali soundcards on the way, hoping to put in the Gmeinder loco, if and when!
Philip

drewzero1
Administrator
Administrator

Post by drewzero1 » Wed Mar 13, 2024 12:35 pm

Here I thought it was ready to run out of the box :confused2: and you've gone and created something completely PLR out of it! :thumbup:

Is that named after the same James from your India trip? For a special occasion you could paint the loco to match his fetching Tibetan jacket! :lol:

Good choice on the Gladiolus for the background music... I had that as my morning alarm for a while and while it didn't exactly jolt me awake it was pleasant to (eventually) wake up to.

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Wed Mar 13, 2024 12:58 pm

drewzero1 wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 12:35 pm Here I thought it was ready to run out of the box :confused2: and you've gone and created something completely PLR out of it! :thumbup:

Is that named after the same James from your India trip? For a special occasion you could paint the loco to match his fetching Tibetan jacket! :lol:

Good choice on the Gladiolus for the background music... I had that as my morning alarm for a while and while it didn't exactly jolt me awake it was pleasant to (eventually) wake up to.
That's amazing! You must have a phenomenal memory to remember that James was the mate I went with to India. I'm working my way through my walking mates for diesel names now I've run out of family members to name them after.

Rik
------------------------
Peckforton Light Railway - Blog Facebook Youtube

drewzero1
Administrator
Administrator

Post by drewzero1 » Wed Mar 13, 2024 1:33 pm

ge_rik wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 12:58 pm
That's amazing! You must have a phenomenal memory to remember that James was the mate I went with to India. I'm working my way through my walking mates for diesel names now I've run out of family members to name them after.

Rik
My memory isn't all that, I just happened to read the thread a few months ago. It was excellent information/inspiration for a back-burner project I've been working on... Sloooowly... :)

Old Man Aaron
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by Old Man Aaron » Thu Mar 14, 2024 6:27 am

Looks right at home on the PLR. :thumbup:
Regards,
Aaron - Scum Class Works

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Sun Mar 17, 2024 11:20 am

I think this will be the final instalment. A few more tweaks - the most significant being that I've swapped the Deltang RX65c for a Micron MR603. The servo output from the MR603 gives a slightly wider range than the Rx65, but the engine note doesn't vary a great deal because the motor speed doesn't increase by very much.

In addition there are a few more cosmetic additions

Rik
------------------------

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Sun Mar 17, 2024 11:45 am

She (?) ... (James) is a real beauty and the surface finish is superb, another print masterpiece, well done Rik. I'm still not convinced about the use of sound, but if you like it, why not?
The best things in life are free.... so why am I doing this?

-steves-
Administrator
Administrator

Post by -steves- » Sun Mar 17, 2024 11:59 am

Very nice all round Rik, it's so far removed from the original loco you purchased. Personally I like the diesel sound you have, it certainly sounds better then my on desk version, not bad for such a cheap sound card :thumbup:

philipy

Post by philipy » Sun Mar 17, 2024 1:08 pm

As Steve said, very nice all round, Rik.

What speaker are you using, the small one that comes with the sound unit or a larger one? Does anyone know the techs of their speaker, ie impedance and watts?
Philip

-steves-
Administrator
Administrator

Post by -steves- » Sun Mar 17, 2024 1:51 pm

philipy wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2024 1:08 pm As Steve said, very nice all round, Rik.

What speaker are you using, the small one that comes with the sound unit or a larger one? Does anyone know the techs of their speaker, ie impedance and watts?
The small speaker isn't marked so can't answer that one, but I can say, it is very tinny compared to a larger speaker and I wouldn't get the smaller one unless I was exceptionally tight on space, though you can make it somewhat better with some better acoustics around it. (A bit of plastic pipe for example).

-steves-
Administrator
Administrator

Post by -steves- » Mon Mar 18, 2024 7:35 am

philipy wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2024 1:08 pm As Steve said, very nice all round, Rik.

I found the exact same looking speaker as the large one on AliExpress. That is a 4 Ohm 3W speaker. It could be different, but unlikely.

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Mon Mar 18, 2024 9:12 am

I used the little oval speaker which came with it - glued under the cab roof as is my normal practice. Maybe the cab itself acts as some sort of resonance chamber? It sounds ok to me, though I'd like to find a way of reducing the volume.

Rik
------------------------

-steves-
Administrator
Administrator

Post by -steves- » Mon Mar 18, 2024 9:18 am

ge_rik wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 9:12 am I used the little oval speaker which came with it - glued under the cab roof as is my normal practice. Maybe the cab itself acts as some sort of resonance chamber? It sounds ok to me, though I'd like to find a way of reducing the volume.

Rik
Wow that sounded good for the little speaker, mine definitely doesn't sound like that, as you say, maybe the cab acting as a speaker box?

philipy

Post by philipy » Mon Mar 18, 2024 9:48 am

-steves- wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 7:35 am

I found the exact same looking speaker as the large one on AliExpress. That is a 4 Ohm 3W speaker. It could be different, but unlikely.
I don't want to derail Rik's thread, but I'm not sure that 4 Ohm rating is correct. My system with the standard small speaker turned up from Ali yesterday and the speaker is unmarked as expected. I'm aware that resistance and impedance are not the same thing, but as a quick and cheerful indication, it is reckoned that a simple resistance check should be about 15% LESS than the true impedance. So I checked the speaker and it shows a resistance of 8.2R. Odd I thought, that means the actual impedance is something like 11 or12R?? So I checked various cheap and cheerful 'greeting card type' Chinky speakers from the bits box. I have nominal 4R, 8R and 16R speakers and they ALL show resistances slightly ABOVE the nominal impedance rating... Duuuhhhh!
No, it isn't my meter on the blink, because I get exactly the same results with two different meters.
Philip

-steves-
Administrator
Administrator

Post by -steves- » Mon Mar 18, 2024 12:19 pm

philipy wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 9:48 am
-steves- wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 7:35 am

I don't want to derail Rik's thread, but I'm not sure that 4 Ohm rating is correct. My system with the standard small speaker turned up from Ali yesterday and the speaker is unmarked as expected. I'm aware that resistance and impedance are not the same thing, but as a quick and cheerful indication, it is reckoned that a simple resistance check should be about 15% LESS than the true impedance. So I checked the speaker and it shows a resistance of 8.2R. Odd I thought, that means the actual impedance is something like 11 or12R?? So I checked various cheap and cheerful 'greeting card type' Chinky speakers from the bits box. I have nominal 4R, 8R and 16R speakers and they ALL show resistances slightly ABOVE the nominal impedance rating... Duuuhhhh!
No, it isn't my meter on the blink, because I get exactly the same results with two different meters.
I just checked the small one that came with the system and it's an 8.1R resistance. Will have to check the large ones when they arrive.

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Sat Mar 30, 2024 1:32 pm

I was asked on Youtube about the hauling capabilities of the loco. At the time, I had no idea. But I added couplings yesterday and so today did a highly sophisticated load test - basically adding wagons until the wheels just started slipping. It took 13 LGB skips plus a brake van. Far more than I will actually need in practice as James performs shunting duties at the sand quarry sidings.

Rik
------------------------