Update.............................................?

This is the place to talk about news, TV, music and other hobbies
dudeface
Fireman
Fireman

Update.............................................?

Post by dudeface » Tue Jan 30, 2024 4:35 pm

Does this mean the forum will stop working completely on my piece of you know what browser that I can't even use to download a newer one because it just crashes? Sorry I'm complaining about my browser again... I'm just afraid this means older browsers won't be able to keep up with the forum. :( I understand why it needs to be done, for security reasons. Apologies if I'm talking nonsense.
https://m.youtube.com/@Dudeface167
Miles-- Trains are fun. With the exception of track power. Argh!

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Update.............................................?

Post by ge_rik » Tue Jan 30, 2024 4:51 pm

Hi Miles
Until we've updated it, we won't know. But the software which drives our forum has been around for years and new versions generally work more reliably than what they replace, so we're optimistic.

Rik
------------------------
Peckforton Light Railway - Blog Facebook Youtube

-steves-
Administrator
Administrator

Post by -steves- » Tue Jan 30, 2024 5:04 pm

What I can say is that the upgrade is only a minor version release (well quite a few minor versions) and not a full new version. It should not be affected by any browser and should continue to work for you.

To all, please feel free to ask any questions about the upgrade you may have, I am sure between us all we will have the answers or at least be able to find out.
The buck stops here .......

Ditton Meadow Light Railway (DMLR)
Member of Peterborough and District Association
http://peterborough.16mm.org.uk/

drewzero1
Administrator
Administrator

Post by drewzero1 » Tue Jan 30, 2024 5:54 pm

Guessing we're going to 3.3.11? Reading through the changelogs (and depending on what version we're running now) it looks like there are a lot of bugfixes and nothing major to break compatibility. Compared to other forum software I've used, phpbb is pretty conservative about changes and not imminently likely to add features that would require a newer browser.

Coincidentally, I'm also planning a server software upgrade (at work) this week. If they overlap I guess I'd better stock up on other reading material! :mrgreen:

SimonWood
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by SimonWood » Tue Jan 30, 2024 5:57 pm

Thanks team for all your hard work keeping the forum on the rails!
Rheilffordd Moel Rhos: blog - photos - videos

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Tue Jan 30, 2024 6:37 pm

drewzero1 wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2024 5:54 pm Guessing we're going to 3.3.11? Reading through the changelogs (and depending on what version we're running now) it looks like there are a lot of bugfixes and nothing major to break compatibility. Compared to other forum software I've used, phpbb is pretty conservative about changes and not imminently likely to add features that would require a newer browser.
Yes - absolutely. It's quite a while since we did an update (3.2.2), so we've got a few sub-versions to catch - up on.
Hopefully, it will be relatively straightforward, but you can never predict what might happen.
We're in good hands - Steve has plenty of experience of these things. I just do the checking and tidying up.

Rik
------------------------
Peckforton Light Railway - Blog Facebook Youtube

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Tue Jan 30, 2024 6:39 pm

SimonWood wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2024 5:57 pm Thanks team for all your hard work keeping the forum on the rails!
I'll second that.... the Forum is where I spend many happy hours browsing and following the wonderful posts from all over the globe. I hope we can continue indefinitely and encourage more to join in the fun.
The best things in life are free.... so why am I doing this?