Loco nameplates

Anything related to the garden railway world that is not catered for in another board
Sir Clothem Cap
Driver
Driver

Loco nameplates

Post by Sir Clothem Cap » Fri Dec 01, 2023 7:43 pm

I'm after getting some nameplates made. Does anyone have any recommendations of who does them?

jimmytrains_01
Cleaner
Cleaner

Re: Loco nameplates

Post by jimmytrains_01 » Fri Dec 01, 2023 8:13 pm

GRS at Princes Risborough, talk to Alan they only come made up with out paint unless you ask for a quote for a colour, they used to be red or black. I had "TED" made up in black very satisfied and "COL MUSTARD" in red the length dosen't change the price 3 letter is probably the shortest and "TEENAGE WITCH" was my longest 13 you have to include the space and I think 16 is the maximum.
"HIMALAYIAN CHIEF" at 16 is my longest and was on the loco when I bought it. I also have "IVONNE" in a different script but it came with the loco also.

Sir Clothem Cap
Driver
Driver

Post by Sir Clothem Cap » Fri Dec 01, 2023 8:35 pm

I've had a look around and decided to go with narrow planet, custom made 8mm high. I'm looking forward to getting them.

philipy

Post by philipy » Fri Dec 01, 2023 9:17 pm

Sir Clothem Cap wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2023 8:35 pm I've had a look around and decided to go with narrow planet, custom made 8mm high. I'm looking forward to getting them.
I've had several sets from Narrow Planet and very happy with them. The only thing is that their delivery time is rather unpredictable because they wait until they have enough orders to fill an etch sheet before doing the run. So if you are lucky and are the last order to fill a sheet you get them quickly and if you are the next order and start a new sheet you might wait several months.
Philip

Sir Clothem Cap
Driver
Driver

Post by Sir Clothem Cap » Sat Dec 02, 2023 9:01 am

Fingers crossed that many will be ordered over Christmas then.

Keith S
Driver
Driver

Post by Keith S » Mon Dec 04, 2023 10:26 pm

Sir Clothem Cap wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2023 7:43 pm I'm after getting some nameplates made.
English is funny. When someone says "I'm after getting some nameplates", most of us understand they mean "I'm in search of some nameplates". However, in Ireland as well as Newfoundland in Canada, it would mean "I got some nameplates"... (and right now is after that happened)

Apparently it's leftover from an ancient Celtic way of structuring such a sentence.

I only felt it was worth bringing up because there are many Newfoundlanders who have spread all over Canada and sometimes I have to look things up in order to understand what they're on about. This is one of those times I've contributed nothing to the topic. But I thought it was interesting.

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Wed Dec 06, 2023 8:51 am

Keith S wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2023 10:26 pm
Sir Clothem Cap wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2023 7:43 pm I'm after getting some nameplates made.
English is funny. When someone says "I'm after getting some nameplates", most of us understand they mean "I'm in search of some nameplates". However, in Ireland as well as Newfoundland in Canada, it would mean "I got some nameplates"... (and right now is after that happened)

Apparently it's leftover from an ancient Celtic way of structuring such a sentence.

I only felt it was worth bringing up because there are many Newfoundlanders who have spread all over Canada and sometimes I have to look things up in order to understand what they're on about. This is one of those times I've contributed nothing to the topic. But I thought it was interesting.
That's fascinating.

Of course the Irish/Newfoundland interpretation is far more literal and one could argue is therefore more correct....

Rik
------------------------
Peckforton Light Railway - Blog Facebook Youtube

Sir Clothem Cap
Driver
Driver

Post by Sir Clothem Cap » Sat Dec 16, 2023 8:32 pm

Yes english is a funnny launguage. As you said I am seeking to get nameplates made

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Sun Dec 17, 2023 11:14 am

I mentioned this to my daughter who now works in Dublin. Not long after she arrived one of her colleagues told her he was "After going to Kerry" which she couldn't quite grasp especially when he started describing what he had seen there, She's been in Ireland for two years and is now fully conversant with this phraseology and uses it herself.

Rik
------------------------
Peckforton Light Railway - Blog Facebook Youtube

Keith S
Driver
Driver

Post by Keith S » Tue Dec 19, 2023 5:55 am

I'm after getting locomotive nameplates made... but that was over ten years ago. John Shawe made really good ones, and they were sold by Rhos Helyg Locomotive works. I looked on "The Internet" and it looks like they are still on offer. I am very pleased with the ones they made for me.

http://www.rhoshelyg.me.uk/MDC.html