Rake of Tippers - Done

Discussion of Rolling Stock related topics should go here
Old Man Aaron
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Rake of Tippers - Done

Post by Old Man Aaron » Thu Nov 16, 2023 5:15 am

Nothing special to see here, but I ought to contribute to the forum more often. I've just finished my new rake of Binnie skips.

As I'd mentioned in my gauge conversion thread, I needed to replace and extend my short rake of 45mm tippers.

My recent visit to Darrell's line in Brisbane highlighted the need for some rain-proof rollingstock. I'd already bought enough replacement 32mm Binnie skips - along with some bolsters, bogeys and skip chassis for other projects - and thus set about cleaning up the skip kits for assembly.

I prefer putting these on 20mm wheels, as it brings the couplings up to my 20mm (plus or minus 2mm) standard, and allows variation in wheel type for extra character. Couplings are my usual oil-blackened picture hooks, and what little lead could be hidden was glued under each wagon for extra weight.

They were weathered in my usual manner for skips, using iron powder activated with vinegar.
Didn't bother with the salt chipping of last time, as for the 1920s-70s period I'm modelling, these skips wouldn't yet be that decrepit.

The completed (but not yet weathered) Essel Fowler pairs well with the skips. The wagons (just) fit inside my cane truck cassettes for easy transport.
Home storage is a problem though, will need to find/make a box and get my shelving better organised..
Four of the trucks are permanently-coupled, as I'll generally run these as a rake.
The other three being loose allows one or two to be thrown into navvy trains as needed.
Besides the usual tasks required of skips, sugar mills used them to transport filter press mud - the muddy cane pulp left over from sugar extraction.
It was commonly used as fertiliser in the canefields, among waxmaking and other uses.

Again, nothing special. But a good staple of rollingstock crossed off the "to-do" list. I'll be looking forward to running this lot at Darrell's next time.
Last edited by Old Man Aaron on Thu Dec 21, 2023 1:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Regards,
Aaron - Scum Class Works

philipy

Re: Rake of Tippers - Done

Post by philipy » Thu Nov 16, 2023 6:01 am

Well done Aaron, I know it's just posed, but that little train does look good.
Philip

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Thu Nov 16, 2023 8:24 am

They look very tasty!

Rik
------------------------
Peckforton Light Railway - Blog Facebook Youtube

StuartJ
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by StuartJ » Thu Nov 16, 2023 9:27 am

Very nice. The restrained weathering really works

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Thu Nov 16, 2023 10:45 am

StuartJ wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2023 9:27 am Very nice. The restrained weathering really works
That would be how I see them too. Looking at them through UK eyes I would expect skips of that period showing far more rust and damage if used in quarrying or similar circumstances, so I'm sure you have them just right.
The best things in life are free.... so why am I doing this?