Cloudiness with super glue

A place for discussing garden railway scenery, such as buildings, trees, etc....
pandsrowe
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Cloudiness with super glue

Post by pandsrowe » Mon Nov 13, 2023 3:44 pm

I'm currently constructing one of the Kippo resin buildings kits and glueing it together with mainly two pack epoxy and exterior grade construction adhesive. So far no issues but yesterday I attached some infills under the canopy with super glue that are made from foam board. Although the adhesive has worked, it has left a white cloudiness on the foam board around the joint. I am aware of this phenomenon when glueing clear acrylic for windows but have not come across it affecting other materials in this way.
PXL_20231113_150030163.jpg
PXL_20231113_150030163.jpg (2.14 MiB) Viewed 1931 times
Phil

philipy

Re: Cloudiness with super glue

Post by philipy » Mon Nov 13, 2023 4:12 pm

I've seen a similar effect quite often.

I don't know for sure, and I'm happy to be told I'm talking from you-know-where, but I suspect it is to to do with where you have handled the parts and have left finger oils and/or moisture on the surface. The superglue then reacts with that and creates the white film. It's the same phenomenon that is sometimes used in forensics to lift finger prints!
Philip

-steves-
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Cloudiness with super glue

Post by -steves- » Mon Nov 13, 2023 5:14 pm

It's caused by the vapours, essentially laying down a film if super glue. Good ventilation helps, hence it's worse when the area is particularly enclosed, like a canopy or inside a cab, so leave things to dry in front of a fan and see if that helps. Also, don't use kicker if the glue can be seen as you will end up with crusty bits of white glue. Again, I have no scientific explanation just my personal experience.
The buck stops here .......

Ditton Meadow Light Railway (DMLR)
Member of Peterborough and District Association
http://peterborough.16mm.org.uk/