Snow

If you would like to share some of your garden railway photographs or photos of prototypes which might inspire members, then please post them in here
ptlrcecil
Driver
Driver

Snow

Post by ptlrcecil » Fri Jan 04, 2008 12:39 pm

Well despite a large heater just up the coast near egromont we did get some snow this year (not much mind).
http://www.freewebs.com/pinetreelightrailway/index.

Cecil your engines on Fire!

Its a Mamod it does that.

SillyBilly
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by SillyBilly » Fri Jan 04, 2008 1:24 pm

Great Pictures!

Not much? I wish we'd had that much, this is what our pathetic excuse for snow looked like! So rubbish I didn't even bother steaming!

Matt
Driver
Driver

Post by Matt » Fri Jan 04, 2008 1:34 pm

I've just got back from cumbria today. We were staying on a caravan site close to where ptlrcecil lives. It started snowing in the middle of the night, causing the electricity to trip for some reason, so we were in a caravan whilst it was snowing with no heating!

it was very, very cold!

ptlrcecil
Driver
Driver

Post by ptlrcecil » Fri Jan 04, 2008 3:53 pm

Well were due for more tonight and that which has laid has all but melted now.

ACLR
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by ACLR » Fri Jan 04, 2008 8:42 pm

they look great in the snow
:D

South-Trethevy
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by South-Trethevy » Fri Jan 04, 2008 9:26 pm

Why can't cornwall get snow, not rain! :( :cry:
------------------
~Sam Brown~
------------------

Who put the Shovel there!!?!!

Chris Cairns
Driver
Driver

Post by Chris Cairns » Sat Jan 05, 2008 9:25 am

ptlrcecil Thanks for sharing those great photos. What type of loco is that you've featured, as it is very nice looking and I assume that the whistle is a working model?

South-Trethevy It is all to do with a thing called geography, and the influence that the North Atlantic Drift has on your county. Come to Scotland, you are almost guaranteed to get snow somewhere, Aberdeen gets it almost every year like the last 2 days.

Chris Cairns.

MTA

Post by MTA » Sat Jan 05, 2008 10:33 am

CCairns wrote:ptlrcecil Thanks for sharing those great photos. What type of loco is that you've featured, as it is very nice looking and I assume that the whistle is a working model?

Chris Cairns.
It is a single Fairlie Chris, I believe the WHR or the FR had one named 'Gowrie' at one point ;)

SillyBilly
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by SillyBilly » Sat Jan 05, 2008 12:44 pm

MTA wrote:
CCairns wrote:ptlrcecil Thanks for sharing those great photos. What type of loco is that you've featured, as it is very nice looking and I assume that the whistle is a working model?

Chris Cairns.
It is a single Fairlie Chris, I believe the WHR or the FR had one named 'Gowrie' at one point ;)
'Gowrie' was a N.W.N.G.Rly loco, and was an 0-6-4, built by Hunslet (www.whr.co.uk/s/history/nwngr_stock#gowrie), the N.W.NG.Rly also had 'Snowdon Ranger' & 'Moel Tryfan' which were also 0-6-4, though this time built by Vulcan Foundry, and had a completly different look (www.whr.co.uk/s/history/nwngr_stock#snr_moelt).

The FfR then has 'Taliesin', an 0-4-4 (www.ffestiniograilway.co.uk/locos/taliesin.htm), which is the one that looks the most like the PTLR's one, I belive that it's front power bogie is a Roundhouse 'Millie' chassis?

South-Trethevy
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by South-Trethevy » Sat Jan 05, 2008 1:51 pm

you forgot moel tryphan and snowdon ramger and the origional taliesen. (all single fairlys on te origional FR, NWNGR, WHR)
------------------
~Sam Brown~
------------------

Who put the Shovel there!!?!!

SillyBilly
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by SillyBilly » Sat Jan 05, 2008 2:29 pm

South-Trethevy wrote:you forgot moel tryphan and snowdon ramger and the origional taliesen. (all single fairlys on te origional FR, NWNGR, WHR)
See my post mate :) !

ptlrcecil
Driver
Driver

Post by ptlrcecil » Sat Jan 12, 2008 10:48 pm

[quote="CCairns"]ptlrcecil Thanks for sharing those great photos. What type of loco is that you've featured, as it is very nice looking and I assume that the whistle is a working model?

Actually the whistle is just a very bad looking dummy (I need t replace it at some time.

Matt
Driver
Driver

Post by Matt » Thu Jan 31, 2008 9:09 pm

I've been watching the weather forcast over the past few days, and they're saying that tomorrow(Friday), the whole of the north of the British Ilse is going to be hit by a snow storm. Its true here in Durham. Today we had a 1/2 hour snow fall, and tomorrow, heavy snow, and temperatures between 2 and -5, is fordcast.

Yipee :D :D :D :D :D .

laalratty
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by laalratty » Thu Jan 31, 2008 9:37 pm

I was working on my extension today when a sudden hail/snow storm flew in when me and dad were mortaring some concrete blocks in, we couldn't go insde till the blocks were set right and covered. It was horrible :x
I've never had any real snow since i've had a steam loco, maybe tommorow might be the chance to run a winter service :)

mhlr
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by mhlr » Thu Jan 31, 2008 10:11 pm

they said me may get a slight bit of snow here in Cornwall, I doubt it... if we do, I'll be pissed off! 1. School, 2. No GARDEN railway yet!

mhlr
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by mhlr » Thu Jan 31, 2008 10:12 pm

mhlr wrote:they said me may get a slight bit of snow here in Cornwall, I doubt it... if we do, I'll be pissed off! 1. School, 2. No GARDEN railway yet!
Dam it, I wish I still lived in Yorkshire. The work would have been done too! (Cornish are a bit slow!)

laalratty
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by laalratty » Thu Jan 31, 2008 10:19 pm

Even if it does snow, i'll have to wait till school finishes, and snow melts very quickly in north lancashire

ptlrcecil
Driver
Driver

Post by ptlrcecil » Fri Feb 01, 2008 4:09 pm

I never had a problem with school cos the year 7s would just go manic and the teachers couldnt control them so they just sent everyone home :D :lol: :lol:

laalratty
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by laalratty » Fri Feb 01, 2008 4:23 pm

Not fair, our head teacher didn't do that, he just treid to ban snowball fights, an attempt that never worked :D

Matt
Driver
Driver

Post by Matt » Fri Feb 01, 2008 7:07 pm

At my last school in Cumbria, we had a very heavy snow fall on a friaday morning in early march 2 years ago. During lunch hour, the entier school site became a snowball war zone :D , with the entier school of 1000 Kids having a huge snowball fight :D . I hit about 100 people, and got hit back as many times :D . After lunch hour, the treachers werer worried that some children wouldn't get home, so they sent us all home, and we didn't have to do afternoon lessons :D .

Back on the farm where i lived, there was a large, half ball shaped hill, which I, my bothers, and almost every kid in the village, spent the rest of the day sledging down :D .

About 2 weeks later, we had a bizard, which lasted all the way through sunday. The snow was so deep, we couldn't sledg on it! Also, because some of the roads were still blocked for days afterwards, school was cancelled on Monday :D !

Sadly, I didn't get a chance to run my trains on those to occasions. One was that I was having fun sledging, and 2, the track was under 2 feet of snow!