Found a new Hudson Hunslet kit

A place for discussing battery-electric locomotives, whether they're diesel, steam or even electric outline
Old Man Aaron
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Found a new Hudson Hunslet kit

Post by Old Man Aaron » Sat Oct 14, 2023 2:18 am

Just found this rather nice-looking Hudson Hunslet kit, while perusing Google, hoping a WD Hunslet kit in 16mm might magically appear on the market. :lol: :roll:
(Seriously though, I should ask the likes of Boot Lane Works about that..)

Never heard of the supplier, they appear to be UK-based and sell an assortment of things, including OO scale parts.

The kit looks rather well-designed. It's available in both 32mm and 45mm gauges as a complete loco kit, or just the chassis. In both 6V and 12V options.
If I hadn't started bashing an IP Huddy kit some years back, I'd give one of these a go. No connection to the seller, I just found them online.
https://ev-north.co.uk/wp/shop/
Hudsun_Hanslet-1.jpg
Hudsun_Hanslet-1.jpg (268.87 KiB) Viewed 3239 times
Regards,
Aaron - Scum Class Works

philipy

Re: Found a new Hudson Hunslet kit

Post by philipy » Sat Oct 14, 2023 6:35 am

Thats interesting Aaron, thanks. They appear to be based in Rhyll, N. Wales. They have a weird selection of offerings, which presumably reflect their personal interests in one way or another, but good luck to them!
Philip

yearsett
New User
New User

Post by yearsett » Thu Nov 23, 2023 1:04 pm

I have obtained one of these kits. I have not started building it yet, but it looks promising. I would like to add more detail. I have found some photographs on the internet, but I cannot find a drawing. Does anybody have drawings or other information about the cab layout and engine that they would be prepared to share?

-steves-
Administrator
Administrator

Post by -steves- » Thu Nov 23, 2023 4:53 pm

philipy wrote: Sat Oct 14, 2023 6:35 am Thats interesting Aaron, thanks. They appear to be based in Rhyll, N. Wales. They have a weird selection of offerings, which presumably reflect their personal interests in one way or another, but good luck to them!
Without reading your post first I visited the shop. I totally agree, what a completely bizarre array of items for sale. As I was looking at the items, I too immediately thought of a one man band with a 3D printer just printing items that he needed and then thought, oh maybe someone else might want these too and started an online shop. Honestly, I hope he does well :thumbleft:
The buck stops here .......

Ditton Meadow Light Railway (DMLR)
Member of Peterborough and District Association
http://peterborough.16mm.org.uk/

Phil.P
Fireman
Fireman

Post by Phil.P » Thu Nov 23, 2023 5:58 pm

Possibly keeps him in filament?

I wonder if the lower-end printers can cope with the through-put?

People who have been doing this for a while, seem to spend much time on the 'care and feeding' of the beasts?

Phil.P

-steves-
Administrator
Administrator

Post by -steves- » Thu Nov 23, 2023 9:10 pm

Phil.P wrote: Thu Nov 23, 2023 5:58 pm Possibly keeps him in filament?

I wonder if the lower-end printers can cope with the through-put?

People who have been doing this for a while, seem to spend much time on the 'care and feeding' of the beasts?

Phil.P
Mine cope with multiple quantities and have done for years now. Yes, they need attention now and again, usually, fans, thermistors and heaters. Other than that they cope quite well. I would hate to think of how many hundreds of hours they have each printed for :dontknow:
The buck stops here .......

Ditton Meadow Light Railway (DMLR)
Member of Peterborough and District Association
http://peterborough.16mm.org.uk/

philipy

Post by philipy » Thu Nov 23, 2023 9:18 pm

Phil.P wrote: Thu Nov 23, 2023 5:58 pm
I don't do nearly as much printing as Steve, but apart from changing the reel, the only problem I've had for almost ayear was a failed print recently because the filament had been sitting in the printer unused for a month or so and snapped from ( I think) moisture absorption. That one is now solved with the arrival of a second filament dryer a few days ago.
Philip

SimonWood
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by SimonWood » Fri Nov 24, 2023 1:43 pm

yearsett wrote: Thu Nov 23, 2023 1:04 pm I have obtained one of these kits. I have not started building it yet, but it looks promising. I would like to add more detail. I have found some photographs on the internet, but I cannot find a drawing. Does anybody have drawings or other information about the cab layout and engine that they would be prepared to share?
Sorry, other than the crude one in SMT 35 I don't know of any drawings. You said you'd already found photographs, but in case you want some more(!) these are from the one in the car park on the site of Duffws station

Rheilffordd Moel Rhos: blog - photos - videos

yearsett
New User
New User

Post by yearsett » Fri Nov 24, 2023 4:34 pm

That's great! Thank you very much. I will check out the drawing in SMT as well.

Jbs
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by Jbs » Fri Nov 24, 2023 8:55 pm

There is a drawing of a hunslet in issue 91 of the Narrow Gauge. It is of 2176 of 1940, Drawing copyright John de Havilland 1979.
Regards,
John
Last edited by Jbs on Sat Nov 25, 2023 10:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Regards,

John Smith

Harrogate

drewzero1
Administrator
Administrator

Post by drewzero1 » Sat Nov 25, 2023 4:46 am

The open hole on the side of the engine on SimonWoods' first photograph is where an exhaust pipe and muffler would have been fitted when the locomotive was in service. I have seen some examples routed down the front of the engine and underneath, in which case the pipe wouldn't be visible in that model, but I've also seen a few variations where the pipe went up the side or looped down and then up. Might be a nice detail to add. :thumbup:

yearsett
New User
New User

Post by yearsett » Sat Nov 25, 2023 7:46 pm

Thank you very much for this - greatly appreciated. I can definitely have some fun with the exhaust arrangement, and the drawing in 'The Narrow Gauge' is excellent.
Best wishes,
Andy