Nolwyn Valley Tramway

A place for the discussion of garden railways and any garden style/scale portable and/or indoor layouts
Lonsdaler
Driver
Driver

Re: Nolwyn Valley Tramway

Post by Lonsdaler » Mon Oct 16, 2023 10:03 pm

drewzero1 wrote: Mon Oct 16, 2023 5:36 pm Hold your noses everyone, here comes the morning refuse train!
Screenshot_20231016-105922.jpg
Phew!🤢😷
First time I've seen that in our scale!
Phil

Sporadic Garden Railer who's inconsistencies know no bounds

My Line - https://gardenrails.org/forum/viewtopic ... 41&t=11077

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Tue Oct 17, 2023 5:58 am

drewzero1 wrote: Mon Oct 16, 2023 2:36 pm
FWLR wrote: Mon Oct 16, 2023 9:29 am That is neat Drew. Are you not going to have a rake of them, they would look good with about 6 or more. Next year perhaps... :dontknow:
Thanks Rod. Just trying to focus on the earthworks and pond setup and (someday) laying the track down. Once it gets too cold to work in the garden I plan to get back into stock making mode. The baby's almost a year now and she's been sleeping better, so I'm hoping to be able to do more woodworking besides just the 3D printing this winter. I've got some plywood set aside for my own version of your shorty box van and a few other projects. Been working on setting up my painting kit in an old travel case so I can go somewhere and paint without the kids, uh, "helping". :colors:
I know what you mean Drew with getting on with your line, it's taken me nearly 2 years to get ours to nearly a completed track laying....

Thats all I do mostly in the winter, either doing a build or trying to finish ones I have started. I always seem to get distracted it's the guys on here who do some brilliant builds, no names, but 'the person who lives in Mid Wales' who I think is the top builder on here, is to blame.. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Looking forward to version mate, it's bound to be excellent. :thumbright:

They do grow up fast don't they, I had the same issue when I wanted to go fishing, one of them needed me to help them with something or other. :roll:

Glad I haven't got the problem with nappies anymore... :lol :lol

drewzero1
Administrator
Administrator

Post by drewzero1 » Tue Oct 17, 2023 3:26 pm

philipy wrote: Fri Sep 01, 2023 9:34 am Drew,
Slight thread drift, but I keep looking at your "Thornas", which for some reason really appeals to me. I think you said early on that you designed and 3d printed it and I wondered if you might be willing to upload your stl's for it to our print files section?
Just a quick update on this... (No I haven't completely forgotten!) I spent last night collecting and sorting out my STLs for this project. I've got most of the files either collected or recreated, just need to write some assembly instructions. It looks like about 30 parts and I don't think I want to know the total print time!

philipy

Post by philipy » Tue Oct 17, 2023 3:29 pm

drewzero1 wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2023 3:26 pm
Just a quick update on this... (No I haven't completely forgotten!) I spent last night collecting and sorting out my STLs for this project. I've got most of the files either collected or recreated, just need to write some assembly instructions.
Looking forward to it. :D
Philip

drewzero1
Administrator
Administrator

Post by drewzero1 » Tue Oct 17, 2023 3:47 pm

philipy wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2023 3:29 pm Looking forward to it. :D
Doing a test fit of all the parts in TinkerCad. A lot has changed with this model since I started it in February! :happy3:
Screenshot 2023-10-17 at 09-39-22 3D design Thornas Tinkercad.png
Screenshot 2023-10-17 at 09-39-22 3D design Thornas Tinkercad.png (132.92 KiB) Viewed 3525 times
Also making some much-needed improvements to the chassis to address some issues that have come up with splitting along layer lines. This was originally just meant to be a push-along toy, so the motor mount is also a bit of a bodge.

drewzero1
Administrator
Administrator

Post by drewzero1 » Wed Oct 18, 2023 9:43 am

philipy wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2023 3:29 pm Looking forward to it. :D
Here it is! THORNAS, a freelance steam-outline locomotive

philipy

Post by philipy » Wed Oct 18, 2023 11:26 am

Thanks Drew, looks very comprehensive.

I've downloaded and unzipped it, and had a quick through your extremely comprehensive instructions, but that's as far as I've got. Somebody else beat me to it with a download, don't know who?
Philip

philipy

Post by philipy » Wed Oct 18, 2023 12:26 pm

Drew,
Not withstanding your comprehensive instructions, whose gears did you use and what ratio? That motor appears to have a 4mm shaft.

Also, what size are the wheels
Philip

drewzero1
Administrator
Administrator

Post by drewzero1 » Wed Oct 18, 2023 4:26 pm

philipy wrote: Wed Oct 18, 2023 12:26 pm Drew,
Not withstanding your comprehensive instructions, whose gears did you use and what ratio? That motor appears to have a 4mm shaft.

Also, what size are the wheels
I used a 1:1 bevel gear set from Thingiverse. Can't remember if I modified the hub to fit or just drilled it out, I'll have a look when I'm back to my computer. The 3d printed gears were meant to be a bit of a stopgap, back in March. :roll: I don't imagine they'll hold up well to heavier use.

The wheels I believe were also from Thingiverse, but it's possible I scaled them and put in my own hubs. I'll measure and dig through my files and see if I can figure out what I did for those.

Comprehensive instructions... for a hover train? :lol: Looks like I'll need to add a running gear group because I also forgot to show the cranks and coupling rods.

philipy

Post by philipy » Wed Oct 18, 2023 4:54 pm

drewzero1 wrote: Wed Oct 18, 2023 4:26 pm

I used a 1:1 bevel gear set from Thingiverse. Can't remember if I modified the hub to fit or just drilled it out, I'll have a look when I'm back to my computer. The 3d printed gears were meant to be a bit of a stopgap, back in March. :roll: I don't imagine they'll hold up well to heavier use.
Ahh, that makes sense then. I've been struggling to find a 4mm-3mm bevel gear set! Can get 4mm bore and can get 3mm bore, but not mixed and not a geometrical match if I got both. I did find a 4/3 reducing bush intended for exactly this purpose... Out of Stock!! :twisted:

I think I may just try find a similar motor with a 3mm shaft, rather than bodge the gears.
drewzero1 wrote: Wed Oct 18, 2023 4:26 pm The wheels I believe were also from Thingiverse, but it's possible I scaled them and put in my own hubs. I'll measure and dig through my files and see if I can figure out what I did for those.
OK, don't worry to much, I just need the wheel diameter.
drewzero1 wrote: Wed Oct 18, 2023 4:26 pm Looks like I'll need to add a running gear group because I also forgot to show the cranks and coupling rods.
I hadn't actually got that far yet!
Philip

drewzero1
Administrator
Administrator

Post by drewzero1 » Wed Oct 18, 2023 6:21 pm

philipy wrote: Wed Oct 18, 2023 4:54 pm OK, don't worry to much, I just need the wheel diameter.
I can never remember whether wheels are measured on the flange or the tread. 29.7mm on the flange and 25mm where the tread meets the flange, though depending on how you cut the running board they could be a bit bigger.

These images also give a bit of context for the way the motor, gears, and rods all fit together.
Attachments
29.7mm on flange
29.7mm on flange
Screenshot_20231018-121556.jpg (305.63 KiB) Viewed 3443 times
25mm on tread
25mm on tread
Screenshot_20231018-121520.jpg (284.16 KiB) Viewed 3443 times

philipy

Post by philipy » Wed Oct 18, 2023 6:23 pm

Thanks, that helps a lot.
Philip

Red Star
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by Red Star » Tue Oct 24, 2023 1:13 pm

drewzero1 wrote: Mon Oct 16, 2023 5:18 am
Meanwhile inside the shop there's been a ban on new stock, to focus on the outside effort. Despite this somebody managed to sneak in a new coal wagon. Still needs some paint, details, weathering, and weight, but here's an in-progress pic:
Screenshot_20231015-004715__01.jpg

This is from Red Star's digital model from this thread: FR style iron body coal wagon (in the 3D print section). I made a few cuts in the model so the walls could be printed flat and ironed. Ok, now I'm really done with stock until the railway is ready!

Just seen this and it looks fantastic - a good size for running with Thornas! I'll admit that I've not yet printed out this version of the wagon, my printer was working flat out last leave making parts for commercial kits - seeing your one though, I really need to have a go at it when I'm back this winter.

Andrew

drewzero1
Administrator
Administrator

Post by drewzero1 » Tue Oct 24, 2023 2:58 pm

Red Star wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2023 1:13 pm
Just seen this and it looks fantastic - a good size for running with Thornas! I'll admit that I've not yet printed out this version of the wagon, my printer was working flat out last leave making parts for commercial kits - seeing your one though, I really need to have a go at it when I'm back this winter.

Andrew
It's a great model, Andrew. I split it up so I could print the sides and solebars flat and avoid a lot of postprocessing to get rid of layer lines. I'm quite happy with the result. Still need to fit some details like the brake handles and coupling chains, and do some weathering, but it looks like I'll probably have all winter to do it.

drewzero1
Administrator
Administrator

Post by drewzero1 » Wed Oct 25, 2023 8:35 am

From the smoky mists of the Duckweed Works emerges a new project:
Screenshot_20231025-005645.jpg
Screenshot_20231025-005645.jpg (375.59 KiB) Viewed 3251 times
Details are similarly hazy but it appears the Thornas chassis I was building as a test has been completed in a manner somewhat contrary to the instructions. I suppose it was about time for the Nolwyn Valley Tramway to get its first tram!

Still needs power, one side's crank pins, front cab steps, and a final livery, but for now it's serving its purpose well as a test and demonstrator for the construction of a Thorn-class loco. The Small Controller has nicknamed it 'Toby' for now but upon completion a suitable name will be chosen.

dudeface
Fireman
Fireman

Post by dudeface » Wed Nov 15, 2023 6:12 pm

Looks like you're going to have a nice little railway there Drew, is the dude on page 4 3d printed too?
https://m.youtube.com/@Dudeface167
Miles-- Trains are fun. With the exception of track power. Argh!

drewzero1
Administrator
Administrator

Post by drewzero1 » Wed Nov 15, 2023 6:38 pm

dudeface wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2023 6:12 pm Looks like you're going to have a nice little railway there Drew, is the dude on page 4 3d printed too?
Thanks! Little is the operative word here. :lol: Yes, he's from Thingiverse: "Passengers for steam bus" by Slanjonok... This figure is "Pa" scaled up something like 800%. Almost all of my stock is 3d printed but I'm working on getting my workshop back up to do more in wood and metal.

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Thu Nov 16, 2023 8:29 am

drewzero1 wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2023 6:38 pm
dudeface wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2023 6:12 pm Looks like you're going to have a nice little railway there Drew, is the dude on page 4 3d printed too?
Thanks! Little is the operative word here. :lol: Yes, he's from Thingiverse: "Passengers for steam bus" by Slanjonok... This figure is "Pa" scaled up something like 800%. Almost all of my stock is 3d printed but I'm working on getting my workshop back up to do more in wood and metal.
That looks like an interesting set of files. I recognise some as originating from those cheap Chinese eBay figures but others look original.

Rik
------------------------
Peckforton Light Railway - Blog Facebook Youtube

drewzero1
Administrator
Administrator

Post by drewzero1 » Thu Nov 16, 2023 2:11 pm

ge_rik wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2023 8:29 am That looks like an interesting set of files. I recognise some as originating from those cheap Chinese eBay figures but others look original.

Rik
Yes, this has been a very valuable resource for populating the Nolwyn Valley. I've also used a few on the yet-unrevealed "mini Nolwyn" in O-16.5, since the GVT open coach looked a bit lost without any passengers. I've been using the smaller scale for testing models and paint schemes that I'm not ready to commit to yet in 15/16mm :roll:
Thornas' driver posing with the smaller-scale coach. This one suffered a failure mid-print but I finished it anyway.
Thornas' driver posing with the smaller-scale coach. This one suffered a failure mid-print but I finished it anyway.
Screenshot_20231116-080832.jpg (305.29 KiB) Viewed 2960 times
Screenshot_20231116-080919.jpg
Screenshot_20231116-080919.jpg (209.2 KiB) Viewed 2960 times

philipy

Post by philipy » Thu Nov 16, 2023 3:19 pm

That colour scheme looks good on the GVT stock.
Thanks for the link to those figures, I've saved them for future reference.
Philip