New Addition to the fleet

Discussion of Live Steam locomotives should be located here
TonyW
Driver
Driver

Post by TonyW » Fri Jul 24, 2009 9:30 am

laalratty wrote:ouch! i wouldn't want to be waiting 4 months for a steam loco. It was bad enough waiting 25 days to steam Urien last year :lol:
My latest acquisition was ordered in April 2007, and received in December 2008. There are loco builders out there who have three or four year waiting lists.
Tony Willmore
Rhos Helyg Locomotive Works: http://www.rhoshelyg.me.uk
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/RhosHelygLocoWorks

Merddin Emrys
Fireman
Fireman

Post by Merddin Emrys » Sat Jul 25, 2009 6:05 pm

TonyW wrote:
Merddin Emrys wrote:... and some sort of dummy front pony truck with just the bottom half of the wheels!
Welcome to this part of Wales, good to have another local 16miller around!

The frames on Blanche and Linda were extended forwards by about 12 inches when the pony trucks were fitted. The join on the Real Locos is just forward of the cylinders, and although the welds have been ground flat-ish they are still visible. Bearing in mind that Roundhouse have allowed more room between the frames than they should (to allow for 45mm gauging) if you were to extend the frames as per the Real Locos you may be able to have a proper working pony truck on your loco.
Hi Tony,
I was thinking that the Roundhouse inside slide valves would prevent the fitting of a Pony truck? and where can I get model Moel Tryfan pony truck wheels :lol:
Arthur Brooks told me about the frame extension, I heard they filled it with scrap to get more adhesion!
Your website looks very interesting too!

Merddin Emrys
Fireman
Fireman

Post by Merddin Emrys » Sat Jul 25, 2009 6:07 pm

grumpfuttock wrote:
Merddin Emrys wrote: I'm in no rush as I have not built the track yet! While our bed and breakfast is quiet (newly started!) I'm working at Tan Y Bwlch station cafe :D  I'm counting that money as paying for the engine 8)
Congratulations with the new loco, Andy.
If there is track laid by next summer, we will be very tempted to stay at your guest house on our next visit to ther UK ! I've always wanted to stay at a guest house with a garden railway :lol: It looks fantastic ! It has been booked marked for future !
Thanks! welcome anytime! we are just trying to work out where to put the track as our garden is on a slope, I need the assistance of a miniature Mr Spooner :lol:

TonyW
Driver
Driver

Post by TonyW » Sat Jul 25, 2009 11:57 pm

Merddin Emrys wrote:I was thinking that the Roundhouse inside slide valves would prevent the fitting of a Pony truck?
Oooh... that's a good point. I've not seen underneath one, but you may be correct. Pony trucks also need to follow Baldry's Rule, see:
http://www.scalefour.org/resources/baldry.htm
Merddin Emrys wrote:Arthur Brooks told me about the frame extension, I heard they filled it with scrap to get more adhesion!
Not heard that one, but very probable!
Merddin Emrys wrote:Your website looks very interesting too!
Thanks! All the work of my good lady wife. All I did was provide the text and pictures.
Tony Willmore

Merddin Emrys
Fireman
Fireman

Post by Merddin Emrys » Sun Jul 26, 2009 10:23 am

TonyW wrote:
Merddin Emrys wrote:I was thinking that the Roundhouse inside slide valves would prevent the fitting of a Pony truck?
Oooh... that's a good point. I've not seen underneath one, but you may be correct. Pony trucks also need to follow Baldry's Rule, see:
http://www.scalefour.org/resources/baldry.htm
Never heard of that :shock:  looks very complicated! was it used on the full size Linda and Blanche? I thought Baldry was in Black Adder :lol:

Palmerston
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by Palmerston » Sun Jul 26, 2009 10:33 am

Yep, no room for a pony truck as the valve block is in the way.

TonyW
Driver
Driver

Post by TonyW » Sun Jul 26, 2009 11:55 am

Merddin Emrys wrote:Never heard of that :shock:  looks very complicated! was it used on the full size Linda and Blanche?
It almost certainly was, and it is necessary. It guarantees the the pony truck wheels go through curves at the correct alignment, i.e. they are in the correct curved radius and are not being pushed sideways.
Palmerston wrote:Yep, no room for a pony truck as the valve block is in the way.
Any chance you could post a good quality photo of the front end underside? There is probably a way that it can be done, but it might need some thinking and ingenuity to achieve!
Tony Willmore

Merddin Emrys
Fireman
Fireman

Post by Merddin Emrys » Sun Jul 26, 2009 12:26 pm

Best I can manage, copied from Oct 06 Garden Rail! Roundhouse told me this is the reason why there is not a model of Blanche in current form (ie as I want the model!)

TonyW
Driver
Driver

Post by TonyW » Sun Jul 26, 2009 3:40 pm

Thanks for the picture.

I'll admit that it does look tricky!

Blanche did, of course, run with slide valve cylinders, its new tender and cabsides and coal firing before the pony truck was installed.
Tony Willmore

MoelygestLR
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by MoelygestLR » Thu Oct 08, 2009 9:39 pm

Less than a month to go!!!! :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
Thanks,

Paul Wood
MGLR

mhlr
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by mhlr » Thu Oct 08, 2009 10:18 pm

So it's not a Penny Huns then, as I heard they're making them in January...? :?:

laalratty
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by laalratty » Thu Oct 08, 2009 10:21 pm

Read further back in the topic Pete, Paul has got one from the November batch...
"What the hell is that?"
"It's a model icebreaker sir."
"It's a bit big isn't it?"
"It's a full scale model sir....."

MoelygestLR
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by MoelygestLR » Thu Oct 08, 2009 10:33 pm

ratty is indeed correct! :D

If you shop around like I did then you can get your loco quicker! ;)
Thanks,

Paul Wood
MGLR

mhlr
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by mhlr » Thu Oct 08, 2009 11:43 pm

Hmm I'm in serious debate at the moment, as I can get the money now, but it's wether I really want to do so. I wonder if there's any other traders with them in stock...

MoelygestLR
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by MoelygestLR » Thu Oct 08, 2009 11:55 pm

mhlr wrote:Hmm I'm in serious debate at the moment, as I can get the money now, but it's wether I really want to do so. I wonder if there's any other traders with them in stock...
Sorry, Maybe my previous post wasnt clear.

If you shop around at the time of buying then you can get your loco quicker (if of course there is a lengthy wait)

I doubt you will be able to find one any quicker now, but by all means try!

there may be a cancellation of somesort. I settled for november as most companies at the time were quoating January. I think I ordered mine about a week before yours.
Thanks,

Paul Wood
MGLR

mhlr
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by mhlr » Fri Oct 09, 2009 12:55 am

lol I haven't even ordered one, Andy did but he cancelled due to loosing interest in it ;) :lol: Maybe it's too late at night, I meant I am debating myself whether to buy one or not this year (ie buy one second hand). I've always wanted a Linda, so perhaps I should just go for it.

Dr. Bond of the DVLR
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by Dr. Bond of the DVLR » Fri Oct 09, 2009 5:44 pm

yeah- it is a nice size loco, hunslets look good in Cornwall as proved by Launceston =! Go for it (and get rid of that clotter-mobile while you're at it!!)
The railway which people forgot
(to build)

MoelygestLR
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by MoelygestLR » Wed Dec 02, 2009 11:46 am

Update: LINDA HAS LANDED

well not quite! it should be leaving Glendale Junction heading for a certain Rhos Helyg Locomotive works for stage 1 of works to be done on it (lining and associated jobs). stage 2 (whistle) will have to wait until DJB are accepting more orders!

very excited as I'v waited almost half a year for this (or at least it feels that way!)
Thanks,

Paul Wood
MGLR

mhlr
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by mhlr » Wed Dec 02, 2009 4:14 pm

Oooh damn you! I've gotta wait 'till March/June... If I can spare the money too! I already have my plans for it, but I doubt I'll be sending it somewhere first - I wouldn't be able to afford it :lol:
What colour is yours? I've ordered black, just how I like Linda.

MoelygestLR
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by MoelygestLR » Wed Dec 02, 2009 8:07 pm

mhlr wrote:Oooh damn you! I've gotta wait 'till March/June... If I can spare the money too! I already have my plans for it, but I doubt I'll be sending it somewhere first - I wouldn't be able to afford it  :lol:
What colour is yours? I've ordered black, just how I like Linda.
green to be lined out like blanche is now as Linda used to be green like that a long time ago (think it was the 50s or sometime around then) also because it will go nicely with the rest of my FR carriages that are in green red and white a la col. stephens.

it will eventually also have a R/C whistle hopefully, but iv got to wait till january to place an order with DJB
Thanks,

Paul Wood
MGLR