MSS Steaming

Do you have a problem? Here is the place to appeal for help
South-Trethevy
Cleaner
Cleaner

MSS Steaming

Post by South-Trethevy » Mon Dec 31, 2007 4:52 pm

Hi all,
while steaming my mss standard loco i heard a strange hiss and a drop in performance, on a closer inspection i discoved that the steam was escaping through the water filler valve. When i tryed to steam it again later on she spent the best part of 10 miniutes raising steam as most of the pressure was escaping through the filler.
I was wandering if anyone could tell me why this is happening and if there is a cheap way to stop this happening.

thanks for looking.

Sam
------------------
~Sam Brown~
------------------

Who put the Shovel there!!?!!

ACLR
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by ACLR » Mon Dec 31, 2007 8:32 pm

is the filler vale the type that you use a pump bottle with a short peice of plastic hose :?:
If it is that type the valve has a small peice of silicon tubing that acts as the valve so replaceing the tube would be easy :)

mhlr
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by mhlr » Mon Dec 31, 2007 9:23 pm

I expect the silicon seal has gone like Graham said. Try tightening it up, or I can send a new seal to you...

South-Trethevy
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by South-Trethevy » Mon Dec 31, 2007 9:47 pm

Thanks......
I'll take it off and have a little look.
------------------
~Sam Brown~
------------------

Who put the Shovel there!!?!!

ACLR
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by ACLR » Mon Dec 31, 2007 10:36 pm

the seal is just a short peice of silicon tubing to cover the filler holes and relies on steam pressure to keep it close . simple but effective :D

Chris Cairns
Driver
Driver

Post by Chris Cairns » Tue Jan 01, 2008 10:38 am

Hi, had to look at one of your photos on the Unofficial Mamod Forums to check which water top-up valve you have.

As Graham (ACLR) has already stated you just need to replace the silicone tube on this valve.

I had one go in the same fashion, and it was caused by crud from the water getting under the silicone tube and destroying the seal. Cutting off the offending tube, cleaning up the face of the valve, and fitting a new piece of silicone tube (available at all Radio Control Model shops as it is used as a fuel tube, just make sure you get the right size as it comes in various sizes and thicknesses), solved the problem.

I use a small syringe to fill up my boilers using these water top-up valves.

Chris Cairns.