YOUTUBE WARNING

Links to and discussion of garden railway video footage or videos of real railways which might inspire members with their modelling
mhlr
Retired Director
Retired Director

YOUTUBE WARNING

Post by mhlr » Wed Jun 03, 2009 10:46 pm

Just remembered when laalratty said he was editing his youtube video...

DO NOT put music on your youtube videos (ie rubbish music, good music such as exhaust beats is allowed)! I know this, because a few of my videos I had music on have had their audio tracks removed from them... therefore making a soundless video. You can put the music youtube provide on, using their 'audioswap', but this means you get very loud, unheard-of music on your vids, without the original audio recorded.

So to stress again:

DO NOT PUT COPYRIGHTED MUSIC ONTO YOUTUBE, OTHERWISE THEY REMOVE YOUR AUDIO TRACK.

pauly
Driver
Driver

Post by pauly » Wed Jun 03, 2009 10:50 pm

some of my fav vids of your have had there soundtrack removed turning a very interesting video into something really boring!

Damn you Youtube! :angry5:
A steam propelled life-style.

laalratty
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by laalratty » Wed Jun 03, 2009 11:03 pm

I have done some research into this, after the original things that go wrong at steamups 4 got rejected because of a copyright clash. Basically there a 4 major record companies, and one Warner music group or WMG do not allow the use of thier music in youtube vids, as negotiations to allow the use of their music collapsed. The other three are more lax, although I think there have still been some issues. I havn't heared of anyone being sued, as youtube removes the sound of the offending video. Occasionally, the record company may even fully approve the use of their music in your vid, like Universal music group did with Bungle's video of the black Edrig. I'll go ahead with my vid as it is, and just remove it if there is a copyright cash
"What the hell is that?"
"It's a model icebreaker sir."
"It's a bit big isn't it?"
"It's a full scale model sir....."

mhlr
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by mhlr » Wed Jun 03, 2009 11:38 pm

Perhaps we should start using Vimeo and the like for the good videos with music?...

bungle80a
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by bungle80a » Thu Jun 04, 2009 12:38 am

I've posted 4 vids now fully set to music (some of which used more than 1 track) and as ratty mentioned, only the vid featuring Austin Rea's Edrig had any issue, and even then they only said they would pull it if I didnt agree to allow them to put ads on the page!
Bungle80a

"Who has stolen the 3 link coupling off the end of my train?!?!

.....[a few minutes pass hunting down replacements].....

"So, which comedian has uncoupled my entire train?!?!"

riveresk
Fireman
Fireman

Post by riveresk » Thu Jun 04, 2009 11:07 am

All my vids on Youtube have music but so far none have been taken off or had their sound removed. I know that there are some songs and bands which will be removed such as Linkin Park, The Rolling Stones, Nickelback, Muse and Within Temptation. There was a list floating about Livejournal somewhere. However The vitamin String Quartet, which does covers of stuff like Muse and Evanescence and the like, songs are still on. I downloaded a couple of songs from Play.com.

Basically check the copyright first, :D
'Oliver's no use at all, thinks he's very clever. Says that he can manage us, that's the best joke ever. When he orders us about, with the greatest folly. We just push him down the well. Pop goes old Olly!'

riveresk
Fireman
Fireman

Post by riveresk » Thu Jun 04, 2009 11:14 am

And found.
http://clarrisani.livejournal.com/77141.html#cutid1

It's quite an extensive list and was last updated in March so is likely not to be a definitive list.
'Oliver's no use at all, thinks he's very clever. Says that he can manage us, that's the best joke ever. When he orders us about, with the greatest folly. We just push him down the well. Pop goes old Olly!'

MoelygestLR
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by MoelygestLR » Thu Jun 04, 2009 4:34 pm

Ah but something someone was telling me was that if u edit the music, I.e. cut some of the middle or end off or something, then it isnt a true representation of the song and so you can put it up. I haven't done this personally so wouldn't know. Is just a thought though as i have edited music before and renamed it as my own :lol: its not as if your selling it on so you can't really get sued as your not making any profit!
Thanks,

Paul Wood
MGLR

mhlr
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by mhlr » Thu Jun 04, 2009 5:02 pm

MoelygestLR wrote:Ah but something someone was telling me was that if u edit the music, I.e. cut some of the middle or end off or something, then it isnt a true representation of the song and so you can put it up. I haven't done this personally so wouldn't know. Is just a thought though as i have edited music before and renamed it as my own  :lol: its not as if your selling it on so you can't really get sued as your not making any profit!
Thinking about it, the videos I have left with music have had the music trimmed short to fit the video... So I probably is true.

ptlrcecil
Driver
Driver

Post by ptlrcecil » Mon Jun 08, 2009 1:29 pm

So far three of my vids have had music dubbed to them and I havent had any problems.
http://www.freewebs.com/pinetreelightrailway/index.

Cecil your engines on Fire!

Its a Mamod it does that.

Hancockshire
Driver
Driver

Post by Hancockshire » Tue Jun 30, 2009 7:05 pm

I found how to sort out the problem, Put in two tracks of different music (Trust me it works) or get music from TV shows like knightrider, last of the summer wine or some of the doctor who music. You can also use self-preservation society!

It's mainly because of the f#####s from the Warner Music Group (probebly some fat yanks behind a computer screen).

grumpfuttock
Fireman
Fireman

Post by grumpfuttock » Thu Jul 02, 2009 11:33 pm

Hancockshire wrote:I found how to sort out the problem, Put in two tracks of different music (Trust me it works) or get music from TV shows like knightrider, last of the summer wine or some of the doctor who music. You can also use self-preservation society!

It's mainly because of the f#####s from the Warner Music Group (probebly some fat yanks behind a computer screen).
The big record companies and others involved with copyright and royalties in the music business, get up my nose !
As far as I can see, much of it is a big rip off. I appreciate that one has to deal with illegal copying of material etc, but they (and big multinational companies) have been, and are responsible for ruining quite a bit of everyones enjoyment through their greed. The biggest fraud to me seems to be the "Performing Rights Society" and equivalent. When I worked on a radio station a few years ago, for a week every couple of months, we would have to list every bit of music we played, composer and artist and after the week was over the lists would have to be sent to 2 "royalties and coyright" organisations. They then paid a very small procentage of the extortionate royalty fees we had to pay, to the composers and artists listed. Meaning that all the artists/composers whose "work" was played the other 7 weeks and weren't played that particular week, got nothing. A totally unfair situation in my opinion.

One funny episode I remember, was the boss contacting a record company asking why we hadn't received a promotion CD of a new album from popular group at the time. They told him that they were delayed in sending the material, and he was informed that there was a pirate copy on Kazaar and that he should download that instead !

One other thing to think about, is that way back in the distant past, when people were being forced to by CD's instead of vinyl records, the CD prices were approx twice the cost of the vinyl equivalent in Denmark and other countries, but producing the CD's cost only approx 12½ % of the cost of producing vinyl records..... who made a fortune out of that...not the artists I'm sure ! Who was ripped off...you and I....the good old niave general public. !

Sorry for that rant.... mention of the fat yanks behind computer screens touched a raw nerve..... like the dormouse in Alice in Wonderland..... I'll go back to sleep now !
John.

"I am not an armchair modeller, I have a garden railway, so I am a deckchair modeller."

http://www.tumblydowncottage.dk